[Reader-list] The Worst is Always Precise

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Thu Dec 19 14:15:48 IST 2002

Dear Friends,

A few clarifications and corrections, subsequent to the posting titled "The
Worst is Always Precise" that  I made earlier today, on the death sentence
awarded yesterday to SAR Gilani.

Firstly, I would like to acknowledge the invaluable research assistance given
to me in the writing of this text by my colleague, Parvati Sharma.

Further, there is a small but significant ommission in the text that I posted
that i would like to correct.

I had said,  - "...it is well known that confessions in police custody
(generally, aided and abetted by coercion) are generally not admissible as
evidence in a court of law. "

this fragment should read as follows -

"it is well known that confessions in police custody (generally, aided and
abetted by coercion) are generally not admissible as evidence in a court of
law. (This is of course not true for anything that falls under POTA, but
then, that is precisely one of the  juridical innovations that makes POTA the
lethal instrument that it is)."

Finally, for those who might be interested in going back to earlier
discussions of the events of December 13 on this list, I would like to refer
them to urls for three postings made by me in December 2001, and they are -

The Eyes of Dr. Mabuse in Delhi
https://mail.sarai.net/pipermail/reader-list/2001-December/000967.html

9/11 versus 12/13,
https://mail.sarai.net/pipermail/reader-list/2001-December/000973.html