[Reader-list] Computer games and the history of reading

Souvik Mukherjee souvikmukherjee at vsnl.net
Mon Dec 23 09:33:23 IST 2002

         Proposal for SARAI Short-term  research fellowship

Reading books with Joysticks: The Computer Game and the history of reading

                                                                                  - Souvik Mukherjee and Riddhi Sankar Ray

Introduction

Computer games are fast becoming popular in our everyday life. Very often, these have been touted as a replacement for intelligent entertainment of any kind. We would argue, however, that game playing is simply another way of reading or storytelling. But if so, then it is reading with a difference: a computer-game consists of infinite levels of narrative and the story that is told, is different each time. This is quite unlike reading a book, or is it? How does a story contained in the book compare with the multiple levels of plot in the game? Often, unknown to us, some stories too have other potential possibilities latent in their narrative structure. On examination of the intrinsic similarities between these, two things can be inferred:  1. That certain stories are like proto-computer-games, and 2. On looking at game playing as a novel and different kind of reading experience, one can explain the popularity of computer-games amongst a large section of modern urban society, as their major source of entertainment. We have hitherto applied our hypothesis to a very limited set of examples. Taking fantasies written for children as our point of departure, we have tried to show how akin these are to computer-games. For this purpose, we have compared the Alice books by Lewis Carroll and the Harry Potter series by J.K.Rowling with eponymous computer-games. The same could be done, we feel, with more serious forms of literature and the scope of this idea could be broadened. This study could also, in its own way, contribute to the history of reading and the changing attitudes of society.

Objectives

The main characteristics of a computer-game, according to game designer Chris Crawford [Chris Crawford: The Art of Computer Game Design.  1982, electronic version] are the subjective representation of reality, interactivity, conflict and safety. To these we might also add that the computer game also keeps constructing its narrative. In our study we might focus on the interactivity of games and narratives and illustrate their similarities and differences through such a comparison. This will definitely help explain the popularity and the relevance of the computer-game in modern life. The cultural changes effected by the spread of information technology in the sphere of public entertainment can also be looked at from this point of view.

The primary objective would be to look at the peculiar nature of the computer-game, which allows the player both to create and to read his own story. The next thing would be to apply this hypothesis to different cases. For example, not all computer-games willingly lend themselves to such an explanation. The games we have hitherto dealt with were either FPS (First person shooters) or strategy games. There are other types of computer-games on which such a hypothesis might not work. The same is true for texts. Thirdly, a comparison between texts and computer-games may be made to show that many texts have a game-like nature and can be seen as potential computer-games.

Method of research and expected problems

The basic idea was conceived of at a student's seminar on Children's literature at Jadavpur University, Calcutta. [The seminar paper has been attached to this proposal as a writing sample]. The initial study therefore was a rather limited one, suitable for a short presentation. Two texts were taken up for consideration and only single-player games were discussed. For a wider scope, however, more books both on literary theory and even certain mathematical texts should be considered. The latter would be useful in dealing with the question of multi-player games which are usually explained in terms of game-theory. In my earlier presentation, we have compared two eponymous games with stories. More similar examples might help in strengthening the comparison. Interviews with certain Indian computer-gaming clubs or with people who like playing computer games, could also be useful. Last but definitely not least, a thorough awareness of parallel research going on in similar areas, worldwide, is vital.

The problems, which might be faced, are many. The scope for research facilities or recognition in India is limited. SARAI would probably be the only organization supporting such research in the country. Then again, as for any software related research, funds would be an important factor. Subscription to certain journals, both online and offline, would prove useful. In case a rudimentary technical knowledge of game-making is required, certain necessary software would have to be procured. Access to computer-games is also important. It might in some cases be difficult to access very recent software in India.

Conclusion

Having said that, we would like to reiterate that this is an important yet much neglected area in the history of reading and cultural studies. Given the popularity of computer-games in India, we feel that it is high time that they were brought within the corpus of mainstream cultural studies and that their influence on modern society was sufficiently studied. We are confident that a great deal can be done regarding this, given the proper infrastructure and support.