[Reader-list] shahar ke NissanII

jha sadan jhasadan at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 26 10:39:10 IST 2002

Dear Friends,
For some time, We have been working on the issue of visual representations
that a city produces and which in tern construct the images of city. As a
part of Sarai independent fellowship programme we did a small study on this
subject last year. we have taken some pictures (now part of sarai archive).
On the other hand, we tried to analyse the politics that go into the making
of this visual city. Our aim was not just to collect photos of ordinary
looking visual representations(signs, graffiti, advertisements etc) but the
field work was primarily oriented towards getting an understanding of the
public sphere of Delhi. In the context of Delhi, this exercise, we felt is
more crucial as we do not have much to read on the subject. In the context
of the wider arena of acedemic writings on public sphere, the intervention
of our exercise wishes to open up the issue of visual public and the subject
of gaze for a debate that has largely been ignored by the scholars working
in the framework of Habermass. In recent decades, we have seen a sudden
outburst on the subject of gaze, especially coming from scholars working in
different aspects of gender politcis. However, because most of these studies
are coming from the corner of gender studies, the general tendency has been
to reduce the location of public sphere as a site primarily oriented towards
the politics of gendered gaze. Gender, is no doubt a central strategy in the
construction of public sphere but it is certainly not the only one. Recent
writings on the gaze and public sphere sadly do not address other dimensions
of the gaze and public sphere. In brief, we tried to locate the question of
gaze by  bringing into account of themes  like, city's 'other', claims of
state aand their resistence, the fuzzy geography of city etc.that go into
the making of city in the eyes and imagination of citizens. However, i must
make it clear that at this stage, all these issues have not been analysed in
exhaustive fashion and the study merely provides an entry into field of
visual public sphere.
Now our work is in second stage and we are working on the economy of this
visual  city. A brief proposal is given below(as attachment file). We would
like to have your comments and observations.
Thanking You
Sadan Jha
Prabhas Ranjan.

MSN 8 limited-time offer: Join now and get 3 months FREE*.
http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=7474&SU=
http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_newmsn8ishere_3mf