[Reader-list] shahr Ke Nissan

sadan sadan at sarai.net
Thu Dec 26 17:45:32 IST 2002

Dear Friends,
For some time, We have been working on the issue of visual representations
that a city produces and which in tern construct the images of city. As a
part of Sarai independent fellowship programme we did a small study on this
subject last year. we have taken some pictures (now part of sarai archive).
On the other hand, we tried to analyse the politics that go into the making
of this visual city. Our aim was not just to collect photos of ordinary
looking visual representations(signs, graffiti, advertisements etc) but the
field work was primarily oriented towards getting an understanding of the
public sphere of Delhi. In the context of Delhi, this exercise, we felt is
more crucial as we do not have much to read on the subject. In the context of
the wider arena of acedemic writings on public sphere, the intervention of
our exercise wishes to open up the issue of visual public and the subject of
gaze for a debate that has largely been ignored by the scholars working in
the framework of Habermass. In recent decades, we have seen a sudden outburst
on the subject of gaze, especially coming from scholars working in different
aspects of gender politcis. However, because most of these studies are coming
from the corner of gender studies, the general tendency has been to reduce
the location of public sphere as a site primarily oriented towards the
politics of gendered gaze. Gender, is no doubt a central strategy in the
construction of public sphere but it is certainly not the only one. Recent
writings on the gaze and public sphere sadly do not address other dimensions
of the gaze and public sphere. In brief, we tried to locate the question of
gaze by  bringing into account of themes  like, city's 'other', claims of
state aand their resistence, the fuzzy geography of city etc.that go into the
making of city in the eyes and imagination of citizens. However, i must make
it clear that at this stage, all these issues have not been analysed in
exhaustive fashion and the study merely provides an entry into field of
visual public sphere.
Now our work is in second stage and we are working on the economy of this
visual  city. A brief proposal is given below(as attachment file). We would
like to have your comments and observations.

Shahar Ke Nissan: The Politics and Poetics of the Visual Symbolic Spaces of
Delhi
 Phase II: Looking at Sites of Production
---Prabhas Ranjan and Sadan Jha
Introduction
Visual representational spaces play a crucial role in shaping the public
culture of a city. These representations constitute a field consisted of wall
writings, advertisements, posters with political and social messages,
bathroom graffiti etc. These visual symbolic spaces act both as entry points
as well as locations where the meanings, images and belongingness to/of the
city and its culture are contested upon. The claims made over the urban
visual spaces can also be analysed as the play of power over citizen's gaze.
In this way, the field of inquiry remains not just the urban landscape but
this landscape itself gets transformed into the body. This is the body with
all sorts of inscriptions of power (gender, class, caste etc.) written
densely all over its vast and uneven terrain. The problem is how to read this
landscape, this body and this eye?

The background/ current engagements
 For some times, we have been involved in the task of understanding the ways
in which city expresses its images and its culture in and through the network
of symbolic visual spaces. Focused primarily on the city of Delhi, we have
also made an attempt to read visual symbolic images of two other Indian
cities?Jammu(J&K) and Hazipur(Bihar). Seed grant scheme of Sarai, provided an
opportunity to map this field of visual symbolic spaces and build an archive
of city images. We are also involved in the reading of this text at its few
selective locations. With the help of camera, we have made an attempt to
ethnographically study non-bourgeois city. Locations selected, for the study
of visual culture of the non-bourgeois city of Delhi, are those that
constitute an open, vast and scattered domain of city life. These are
non-fantastic, non-charismatic images of city. An attempt has also been made
to present a. personal experiences of doing field work on the visual symbolic
cultures of Delhi; b. a reading of the politics that go into the making of
this field of visual culture of Delhi and c. to build an archive of
collected images.
The Plan of the Work
After charting out broader contours of the area of study and problematizing
the subject we now intend to study the economics of the production of these
city spaces. Advertisements of ordinary characters, posters and other
symbolic spaces that circulate in the mass production sectors of the bazaar
economy (i.e. stickers and small rectangular tin plates) as very locations of
this economy shall be studied at the physical sites of their production. It
will be an attempt to understand the ways in which painters, copywriters and
workers who are involved in the production of these visual spaces
conceptualise and visualise this arena of urban semiotics. An attempt will
also be made to understand the ways in which these people look at the market
of these symbolic spaces. It is like exploring the city of images where they
are physically take shape and by whom they acquire their forms. It is an
attempt to trace the genealogy of this city. However, this process must not
be seen from positivist vantage points of the word ?genealogy'.
Secondly, moving upward in the economic discourse of the symbolic spaces, we
shall be working to get a detail account of the visual culture of the local
market. Visual symbolic language of the bazaar will be studied in the course
of work. Our hypothesis is that visual language of advertisements circulates
not just as reference points or the advertisements in the processes of
commercial exchanges. These advertising spaces, these visual languages move
as commodities and services in themselves that in turn produce complicated
economic web. The manner in which the language of local market respond the
forces of globalisation in and through commercial hoardings, sign boards of
shops and wall writings will be analysed.
Thirdly, we shall continue to map the field of urban visual symbolic spaces.
Some of the interesting spaces like bathroom graffiti and the space of train
will be studied and the documentation of the field will continue. Both these
spaces are crucial as they problematise the relationship of city, body and
construction of city's  'other'.
Thanking You
Sadan Jha
Prabhas Ranjan.