[Reader-list] Bush Speaks

Bhrigu bhrigu at sarai.net
Sun Feb 3 07:06:38 IST 2002

                            STOP BUSH AND BLAIR'S WAR
                  DEMAND REAL SOLUTIONS AND REAL JUSTICE
                        NO MORE INNOCENT DEATHS
                     NATIONAL MASS DEMONSTRATION
                              SATURDAY MARCH 2nd
                                 HYDE PARK 1PM
                      MARCH TO RALLY IN TRAFALGAR SQ

Bush's state of the Union Address (Jan 29th 2002)

"It costs a lot to fight this war. We have spent more than a billion dollars
a month -- over $30 million a day -- and we must be prepared for future
operations. Afghanistan proved that expensive precision weapons defeat the
enemy and spare innocent lives, and we need more of them. We need to replace
aging aircraft and make our military more agile to put our troops anywhere in
the world quickly and safely. Our men and women in uniform deserve the best
weapons, the best equipment and the best training and they also deserve
another pay raise.
(APPLAUSE)
My budget includes the largest increase in defense spending in two decades,
because while the price of freedom and security is high, it is never too
high. Whatever it costs to defend our country, we will pay."

"While the most visible military action is in Afghanistan, America is acting
elsewhere. We now have troops in the Philippines helping to train that
country's armed forces to go after terrorist cells that have executed an
American and still hold hostages. Our soldiers, working with the Bosnian
government, seized terrorists who were plotting to bomb our embassy. Our Navy
is patrolling the coast of Africa to block the shipment of weapons and the
establishment of terrorist camps in Somalia. My hope is that all nations will
heed our call and eliminate the terrorist parasites who threaten their
countries and our own. Many nations are acting forcefully. Pakistan is now
cracking down on terror, and I admire the strong leadership of President
Musharraf.
(APPLAUSE)

But some governments will be timid in the face of terror. And make no mistake
about it: If they do not act, America will.
(APPLAUSE)

Our second goal is to prevent regimes that sponsor terror from threatening
America or our friends and allies with weapons of mass destruction. Some of
these regimes have been pretty quiet since September 11, but we know their
true nature. North Korea is a regime arming with missiles and weapons of mass
destruction, while starving its citizens. Iran aggressively pursues these
weapons and exports terror, while an unelected few repress the Iranian
people's hope for freedom. Iraq continues to flaunt its hostility toward
America and to support terror. The Iraqi regime has plotted to develop
anthrax and nerve gas and nuclear weapons for over a decade. This is a regime
that has already used poison gas to murder thousands of its own citizens,
leaving the bodies of mothers huddled over their dead children. This is a
regime that agreed to international inspections then kicked out the
inspectors. This is a regime that has something to hide from the civilized
world. States like these, and their terrorist allies, constitute an axis of
evil, arming to threaten the peace of the world. By seeking weapons of mass
destruction, these regimes pose a grave and growing danger. They could
provide these arms to terrorists, giving them the means to match their
hatred. They could attack our allies or attempt to blackmail the United
States. In any of these cases, the price of indifference would be
catastrophic. We will work closely with our coalition to deny terrorists and
their state sponsors the materials, technology and expertise to make and
deliver weapons of mass destruction. We will develop and deploy effective
missile defenses to protect America and our allies from sudden attack.
(APPLAUSE)

And all nations should know: America will do what is necessary to ensure our
nation's security. We'll be deliberate, yet time is not on our side. I will
not wait on events while dangers gather. I will not stand by as peril draws
closer and closer. The United States of America will not permit the world's
most dangerous regimes to threaten us with the world's most destructive
weapons.
(APPLAUSE)

Our war on terror is well begun, but it is only begun. This campaign may not
be finished on our watch, yet it must be and it will be waged on our watch.
We can't stop short. If we stopped now, leaving terror camps intact and
terror states unchecked, our sense of security would be false and temporary.
History has called America and our allies to action, and it is both our
responsibility and our privilege to fight freedom's fight.
(APPLAUSE)

Our first priority must always be the security of our nation, and that will
be reflected in the budget I send to Congress. My budget supports three great
goals for America: We will win this war, we will protect our homeland, and we
will revive our economy. September 11 brought out the best in America and the
best in this Congress, and I join the American people in applauding your
unity and resolve.
(APPLAUSE)