[Reader-list] Bombay / New York: Urban Glory

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Mon Feb 18 17:04:16 IST 2002

The New York Times
February 17, 2002
CORRESPONDENCE

Urban Glory

By SOMINI SENGUPTA

PHOTO: The crush of arrival and departure at the Churchgate railroad
station, in Bombay, India.

BOMBAY

New York, the place I came from six weeks ago, recently rediscovered
- at terrible cost - some of the reasons cities are great. They are,
as New York has showed, humanity's great reservoirs of kindness,
civility and resilience. Only cities can turn ruin and death into a
kind of collective grandeur.

Grandeur may not be the first thing you think of, watching as, with a
look that says, "I will get a seat on this train even if I have to
kill you," the working girls of Bombay sprint in their sweat- stained
saris up the platform of the Churchgate railroad station and jump on
board before the arriving train comes to a halt.
A seat on a rush-hour train, as it wends its way north from
Churchgate, is as precious as sleep, and anyone who stands idly in
the way will most certainly be bruised, bonked and subjected, in
rapid-fire Hindi, to Bombay's worst insult: "When did she get here
from the village?"

Then again, by the time the working girls of the second-class ladies
compartment ("For Ladies Only, all the 24 hours," it is marked
outside) get on board, they have dodged Bombay's nearly homicidal
rush-hour traffic, skipped over a bandaged or limbless beggar (some
authentic, some fake, some children), haggled over the price of
bananas and green beans or pumpkin or eggplant from the hawkers
lining the corridor to the station and passed a small army of men
urinating along the streets.

Much is made of Bombay's glorious past. In Indian lore, this was the
city of gold, a citadel of civility. In modern times, Bombay became
India's equivalent of Manhattan — the big town an ambitious boy from
the provinces could go to make it among the soaring skyscrapers.

But these days, Bombay has come to represent another sort of
urbanity. The buildings are falling down and the streets are clogged
and the stench is enough to make the dogs howl. Indeed Bombay has
become the subject of great debate. This month, Outlook, a national
news magazine, declared in a cover story on Bombay: "The Death of a
Great City."

The story listed some of the city's innumerable ills: crumbling
infrastructure, rising religious intolerance, the miserable state of
its poor.

To all of which Midday, Bombay's afternoon tabloid, roared back:
"Dead? Not Us!"

In fact, Bombay continues, somehow, to thrive. And part of its magic
lies in being able to turn its appalling disorder into an
idiosyncratic, improvisational, style of life. As the formal, planned
city falls into disrepair, the scrappy, informal one finds a way to
make do. A boy from the provinces may think twice about coming here
(he may go to New York instead), but dreams are still here and people
still come to realize them.

To many who live here, that Bombay is getting worse, while
demonstrably true, is beside the point. The brawl of daily life is
what you sign up for. "Bombay is a terrible place but a great city,"
Charles Correa, the city's most famous architect, said in a new and
much talked about documentary about Bombay called "One City, Two
Worlds." If he had to choose, he added, he would choose the great
city.

A kind of communal grandeur can be experienced daily, in a small way,
on the train rumbling slowly out of Churchgate station. Those with
seats start chopping and peeling in preparation for dinner. Among the
standees, pressed shoulder to hip in the sweltering heat, the
luckiest find space near the open train doors, saris trailing in the
wind.

Bombay's trains ferry seven million commuters a day, several times
their capacity, and fatal accidents are a regular occurrence. But by
some daily miracle of civility and forbearance few ever seem to go
mad from the heat, the hustle, the claustrophobic press of sweating
midriffs.

Instead, the women open their tiffin canisters and share grapes. They
inspect the baskets of hawkers selling sesame candy, potato chips,
glass bangles, feather dusters, hair clips and packets of delicate
stick-on bindis to adorn the forehead. One or two somehow sleep
through it all. (One of the men's cars, equally crowded, is devoted
to passengers who like to sing the bouncy Hindu hymns called bhajans
all the way home.)

A sorority of the daily commute emerges this way — "train friends"
they are called. Chances are these women know only each others' first
names, workplaces and stations of embarkation and disembarkation. But
it is real friendship, nonetheless. A journalist friend tells me a
story about a colleague who, out of the blue, was diagnosed with
cancer and immediately checked into a hospital for treatment. Two
weeks later, a stranger popped into the sick woman's office and asked
after her. "She is my train friend," the visitor said. "We haven't
seen her in two weeks. Is everything all right?"

Several days later, a gaggle of train friends showed up at her
hospital bedside.

The journalist tells this story with an only-in- Bombay sort of
wistfulness that puzzles the casual visitor. But this is how
Bombayites are. They won't live anywhere else. As a New Yorker,
commuting by subway and living in my closet-sized allotment of space,
I think I understand.

According to the 2001 census, 11.9 million people live within the
city limits and nearly 16 in the entire metropolitan region. By 2015,
Bombay is projected to be the largest city in the world, with an
almost unimaginable 28 million souls. It's the third world city of
the future, a megalopolis of nightmarish statistics stained with
red-black juice of the betel nut, the city's chewing gum.
Sleep in Bombay, even if you're staying at the ultra-posh Taj Hotel,
is fleeting. There may be a convention of argumentative crows outside
your window. Or a pack of stray dogs may be disputing ownership of a
garbage heap. All through the day, knife-sharpeners and vegetable
peddlers and ice-cream sellers and monkey tricksters parade down the
streets, each with their own distinct sirens to announce their coming.

A friend from Brooklyn has just come back to Bombay. He wants me to
see the oasis of temples tucked in the middle of the city. He wants
me to smell the spice factory from the roaring train. He is waiting
for the monsoon to come. To watch it pour, he will go to Marine
Drive, that curving, glittering thoroughfare along the Arabian Sea
that people here call the Queen's Necklace.

THE monsoons here will make you cry, the locals tell me; to see it,
tourists from the Arab world pack the Taj Mahal hotel. They check
into the coveted seaward rooms and watch the rain pouring down on the
harbor. They take home parrots.

Marine Drive is also famous for a unique Bombay creature: the
tetrapod. They are the octopus-like concrete structures placed along
the seaside. They have many uses: to sprawl out on for an afternoon
siesta, to sit and stare at the water, to squat on and defecate at
dawn should you be among the millions of Bombayites who lack access
to a toilet.
The tetrapods are designed to keep back the sea, and they make Kiran
Nagarkar, a novelist and another Bombay native in love, giggle with
pleasure. "There are times when I could just hug this city," Mr.
Nagarkar tells me, eyes closed in a beatific smile. "The sea. The
tetrapods..." his voice trails off.

My Brooklynite friend sends me something from the Bombay poet, Nissim
Ezekiel. I suspect he wants me to understand why he's not coming back
to Brooklyn. The poem is called "Island."

Unsuitable for song as well as sense

the island flowers into slums

and skyscrapers, reflecting

precisely the growth of my mind.