[Reader-list] video voyeurism

zamrooda zamrooda at sarai.net
Mon Jan 21 16:08:17 IST 2002

Melissa traded keys with her neighbor,  expecting her old childhood friend to
keep an eye on the home when her family was away and use them only in an
emergency.

Instead, she and authorities contend, Steven Glover secretly installed a
video camera in the attic above her and her husband's bedroom and later moved
the camera into the bathroom.

Prosecutors say Glover admitted to the taping, but he can't be prosecuted for
it because Louisiana has no law against video voyeurism. It's a situation
that some states, including Louisiana, are now beginning to address.

"If I'm a Peeping Tom and look into your bedroom, I can be prosecuted," said
Jerry Jones, the prosecutor in the Glover case. "If I put a video camera to
do the same thing and I do not record sound, I am committing no crime."