[Reader-list] Colonial Gatecrashing

Kanti Kumar oneworld at del3.vsnl.net.in
Tue Jan 29 09:56:36 IST 2002

Dear Friends,

Some Gates open frontiers of worlds afar and relationships distant, and some
shut away the neighbours next door and relationships more real.
Even as we seem to believe the world is shrinking thanks to Internet and
email, Delhi citizens in recent years have suddenly developed such sense of
insecurity about humans next door that they prefer to limit themselves into
smaller worlds. One such middle+upper middle-class colony of South Delhi
where we lived five years ago had these iron gates erected at every entry
point to a street or lane. Interestingly, the gates were placed
strategically in such a way that the enclosed area conveniently excluded -
from late evening to morning - our poorer neighbours who lived in shanties
in the parks and open spaces just next to bungalows and kothis. Those who
lived in the kothis, however, used to depend on our poorer neighbours for
the daily household chores during the rest of the day!

One stormy evening those five years ago, my wife suddenly fell ill. She felt
excruciating pain in the legs and back. Our family physician's medicines
gave her relief, but only for a few hours. As the night progressed, the
intensity of her pain increased and around 3 in the morning it seemed she
would collapse due to the pain. It was then that I rushed, in desperation,
to the only nursing home in the colony which was barely 100 metres from our
house. But there stood between me and the nursing home a locked iron gate. I
went to all the sides of the locality, from one to the next, looking for a
gate that would be open to get an ambulance or doctor. But all the six entry
points to that locality - less than 1 sq km in area - had been locked and
there was no sight of any watchman or guard in that weather. I returned to
my ailing wife disgusted - and completely drenched in the pouring rain -
only to witness helplessly her suffering for another four hours before the
gates to some succour would open. It's another matter that the doctor who
examined my wife next morning gave her medicines for gastro-enteritis and
made her suffer for two more days while what actually caused the pain was an
ovarian cyst!

Today it's easier to connect to the farthest than to relate to the nearest!

Kanti Kumar