[Reader-list] The Anarchogeek interview

Patrice Riemens patrice at sarai.net
Wed Jan 30 00:19:01 IST 2002

original on:
http://www.anarchogeek.com

Interview about the anti-globalization
movement  Dec 26 2001

This is from an interview i did for a grad
student working on her thesis about the
anti-globalization movement.

First, may I have your name and
affiliation/position for bibliographic
purposes? If you do not wish to be
cited by name in my thesis, please let
me know, and I will include only
anonymous information.

       People keep telling me I should be quite about my name and
       try and hide my idendity from my work. They're probally
       right. Although all i do is make websites, fix computers, and
       help organize media centers i probally do put myself at risk.
       That said I've been "outed" so many times and so publically
       that it often doesn't feel worth hiding things.

       I'm Evan Henshaw-Plath. At the moment i'm in rural
       northern california where I grew up but I've been traveling
       the anti-globalization circuit for most of the time since the
       seattle protests. I've been to in central and western europe,
       and throughout the americas. I'm a volunteer with the
       imc-tech collective, a loose network of radical techies and
       geeks who support indymedia projects. We don't have titles
       or leaders. Aside from indymedia in 98 i founded an activist
       website, protest.net, which is a global calendar of protests
       and activism. Protest.net is maintained as a closed
       collective project which i work on with three other net
       activists. I'd say if you had to give me a title, it would be net
       activist although i'm not sure i like the term. It brings up
       visions of people who think they are making social change
       because they send lots of emails and spam their friends
       with guilt ridden emails.

              In my research on the anti-globalization movement,
              your name and/or organization came up. I have a basic
              understanding of the direction of your work and the
              issues you are concerned with, and I do not want to
              ask you for information that is available elsewhere, so
              please tell me where I can find such information in
              order to save your understandably valuable time.

              1) Is it fair to characterize your work as
              anti-globalization? Why or why not?

       It's the title we've got. For better or worse we are the
       anti-globalization movement. At least it's more creative than
       being called the "new left." :) Perhaps we should be more
       accurately called the anti-neo-liberalism movement. That is
       infact what the EZLN says in their famous quote, "Against
       Neoliberalism and for humanity." The problem is that most
       people, especially in the anglo world don't understand what
       neoliberalism means. In the US we have this warped notion
       that liberalism and the left are one in the same. People get
       confused. They might think, well neoliberalism, liberals
       means democrats, and you have the new democratics like
       the DLC and Clinton. Therefore neoliberalism is what
       clinton advocates, which is true, but by then you've lost
       most people.

       For a while after Seattle I always insisted on saying
       Anti-Corporate-Globalization. I know others use the term
       anti-capitalist-globalization. Infact outside the US the term
       anti-globalization and anti-capitalist are used somewhat
       interchangeably. There are american activists who have
       tried to bring that practice in to the rhetoric of the american
       anti-globalization movement but it doesn't resonate. The
       problem is that most americans have a pretty blury
       understanding of the differnece between democracy and
       capitalism. This is why I prefer the term anti-corporate
       because americans know what corporations are, they know
       how they affect their lives, and they can take a stand against
       corporations.

       All that said, we've got the term anti-globalization
       movement. It could be worse but I still perfer it us being
       called the "new new left" or "really quite new left" or the
       "post this that and the other and don't remind us of the 60's
       left." The Economist keeps trying to brand the movement
       anti-globalist, but it dosen't seem to be catching on. By the
       same account i know plenty of activist who try and call it the
       movement for alternative globalization but that doesn't
       sound very catchy to me.

              2) Do you consider yourself part of a movement?
              Please explain why.

       Yeah it's a movement, or maybe a movement of movements.
       For me i finally stopped wondering if it was a movement
       when I saw people returning from the Quebec City FTAA
       protests pumped up at getting involved and wanting to learn
       even though was the first protest they'd ever partipated in.
       In someways the question of is it a movement can be
       answered the same way you answer 'am i in love?' If you
       still have to ask your self the question then the answer is no,
       once the answer becomes 'of course' then you've got your
       answer.

       I could go in to looking at how we're creating counter
       structures, our own insitutions, ideologies, spectrum of
       groups, goals, and tactics, but the short answer is we're a
       movement.

              3) How do you define globalization?

       You could write a whole book on that subject. Infact there is
       a whole new category of books and academic scholarship
       growing up around globalization studies as i'm sure you're
       aware. I'd recommend No Logo by Naomi Klein and Empire
       by Negri and Hardt as two books i've found interesting.

       Globalization is the whole series of social, economic, and
       political transformations that are taking place as our
       technology and social institutions shift and become highly
       integrated. The principle problem with globalization is it's
       being driven by a neoliberal economic agenda which
       includes free trade, privitization, the gutting of the fordist
       welfare state, and the shift of power from nominally
       democratic nation-states to unaccountable supranational
       bodies.

              4) What elements of globalization are you taking
              action against? What is your message?

       The part above. The whole point about the anti-globalization
       movement is that we're actually quite globalist. I'd use the
       term internationalist but really it's also anti-nationalist.
       We're perfectlly happy to see the nation state whither away.
       The problem is what it's being replaced with.

              5) Many people have described activist networks when
              speaking of the anti-globalization movement and
              others. Can you comment on the nature of such
              networks, and the particular weaknesses, or strengths
              of these networks?

       Well first off you need to know that there are many parts of
       the anti-globalization movement. There are parts of the
       movement such as ATTAC, or in the US the Green Party /
       Nader groups, which are creating big ngo / political party
       type organizations. There is nothing really new about how
       these groups are organizing. They are working to construct
       a new social democratic order and are using pretty
       traditional methods.

       The more radical parts of the anti-globalization movement,
       both the street activists and the more with it NGO's have
       adopted a new model for organizing. We've used a lot of
       technology and communitarian, decentralized,
       anti-authoritarian values with their roots in the anarchist
       tradition. Mailinglists, cellphones, websites, affinity groups
       are all the tools of our movement. It means we have no
       offical spokes people, we have no offices or party line. We
       have a hard time raising a lot of money or supporting big
       personalities. On the other hand we can get things done that
       could never be done regardless of the money. We grew
       indymedia from one center with a dozen volunteers to a
       network of 75 media centers in 23 countries in a dozen
       languages which has produced a dozen feature length
       documentary films, printed dozens of local newspapers, and
       more in under two years.

       I was talking to some friends with indymedia norway. They
       were setting up a media center to cover an ATTAC
       conference. Attac had the conference very well organized,
       paid for people to fly in, got the speakers lined up, got the
       publicity, and even had pretty good attendance. Quite a
       logistical feat. But the imcistas asked if they could help
       them get a car to move computers and equpitment for the
       media lab and attac couldn't do it. The imcistas had to figure
       it out. Despite all the resources of attac they couldn't do
       something as simple as get a car. Indymedia and the more
       PGA inspired end of the anti-globalization movement
       almost never have a problem finding a car. When the shit
       hits the fan everything just starts working. People stand up
       and contribute and it's amazing. You should really spend
       some time in an imc durring a major action. Really without
       seeing a convergence you can't know what the
       anti-globalization movement is about.

              7) Can you comment on the role of new technology in
              your tactics? How has new technology affected your
              work?

       Well i'm basically a net activist, so technology plays a huge
       role in my tactics. We joke that we're 'tech support for the
       revolution.' It's true in a way, we may not get a revolution, or
       if we do it might not turn out like we intend, but we are the
       tech support for the movement. Most of my work is focused
       on communcations technology. Websites, email,
       mailinglists, cell phones, radios, media labs, video cameras,
       magazines, newspapers, filers, community, web and pirate
       radio, public access tv, theaters, all come together to
       provide the infrastructure upon which the movement
       communicates. This is both internal communcation where
       we are debating an comeing to develop critiques,
       coordanate ourselves, and to present to the world our
       perspective. We can and do work to get our ideas and
       messages out to the CNN's of the world but that's a very
       limited medium.

       The anti-globalization movement could not exist without the
       internet. This is not to say that we wouldn't be struggling
       over similar issues but the movement that we have now
       wouldn't exist. We wouldn't be making the connections and
       coalitions. We couldn't organize such massive coalitions
       with almost non-existant overhead if we didn't have email,
       mailinglists, and websites. I think the tactics of having very
       large broad protests with indymedia centers, converence
       spaces, counter conferences, legal protests, illegal protests,
       and direct action wouldn't be possible without the net.

       There has some been some interesting stuff on the subject
       that has come out of the RAND corporation about networked
       organizations. It's worth reading. They basically looked at
       how technology was changing organizations and wars.
       They've analized the EZLN and the black bloc, they were the
       ones to come up with the concepts of cyberwar and infowar.
       That's basically what we are fighting. It's not a war with
       bullets, a civil war, or a cold war. It's a war of ideas and real
       power politics played out between governments,
       coporations, and civil society. Governments have really lost
       their power over their own economies which puts them in
       an increasingly weak possition. It's a fight over the
       legitimacy of new institutions as we struggle over the nature
       of a globalized society that is coming in to being.

       The technology is playing a huge roll in shaping society and
       the struggle. This is nothing new, i mean Marx considered
       the state of technological development to part of the base, a
       fundamental part of the economy from which the
       superstructure of society is formed. I'm not a marxist and I
       don't agree with the modernist dicotomy between base and
       superstructure that Marx articulated but it's interesting to
       note. Today we have seen the growth of electronics and
       especially computers shift who can be an engineer and
       creator of tools of production. The huge growth of the
       internet is in part due to the changing nature of technology
       which allows anybody with a computer to recreate the
       software it runs. This isn't directly connected to
       globalization but it's a big interest of mine. Technology has
       gotten suffently advanced that digital computers have
       become the domain of popular innovation and production.

              8) Can you comment on administrative (government,
              law enforcement) responses to your actions, and its
              effects on your efforts?

       They don't like us. They want us to go away. They want to
       get rid of us but they don't know how. It's a struggle over
       legitmacy and in some cases we have as much or more
       legitimacy than they do. That doesn't mean that they aren't
       stepping up repression, activists are starting to get longer
       jail time for arrests during protests. The assault on the imc
       and the school across the road during Genoa doesn't bode
       well. We are seeing a slow convergence between police
       tactics in the third world and those in the first.