[Reader-list] Devdas

Zainab Bawa coolzanny at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 18 12:48:41 IST 2002

Dear Readers on the List,
Recently, I watched Sanjay Leela Bhansali's Devdas. It definitely has modern
touches to it. What is interesting is the potrayal of Devdas's character,
which to my mind represents today's youth perfectly. Here are some of my
personal reflections after watching Devdas. Sharing them with you.
Regards,
Zainab

Devdas – Some Personal Reflections

The recently released Devdas, has been a much-talked about film.  This
50-crore flick is one of Bollywood’s most expensively made films.  The film
became controversial with many accidents taking place on the sets during its
making.  The costumes and the sets are extravagant, but even ‘extravagant’
is a poor word considering that Madhuri Dixit and Aishwarya Rai have adorned
costumes weighing forty to fifty kilograms and costing in the region of
rupees 15 lakh per outfit.  The exquisitely detailed sets of Devdas, which
were noticeable the moment you entered film city in Mumbai, have also been
created at great expense.

Devdas is the saga of a man who fails in love.  He is unable to marry his
beloved Paro.  Consequently, he takes to alcohol to punish himself for his
inability to consummate his love for Paro into marriage.  After Paro gets
married to a rich zamindar, Devdas begins to make the rounds of the
ill-famed prostitution bazaar in pre-independent Calcutta.  Here, a
beautiful danseuse Chandramukhi falls in love with him and in the process,
she quits dancing and devotes herself to Devdas.  In the end, Devdas dies a
sad death due to alcoholism and Paro is unable to be with him when he
breathes his last.

Devdas, as played by Shah Rukh Khan in this Sanjay Leela Bhansali film, is
very much a reflection of today’s youth.  As I reflect on the character of
Devdas in this film, I realize that Devdas’s passive-aggressiveness is very
much a trait of the youth in today’s society.

Devdas had a disturbed relationship with his father since childhood.  As a
child, his father would often beat him up for not attending class and
prancing around the village with Paro.  To this, Devdas would rebel silently
and build up anger within him.  Subsequently, we find that throughout the
film, Devdas has an angry temperament and in his fits of anger, he ends up
making rash decisions.  This characterization is quite different from the
previous characterizations of Devdas, where Devdas is shown to be a soft and
gentle person.  I find that this trait of Devdas, as portrayed by Bhansali,
will resonate with the sentiments of several youngsters whose anger has
become displaced.

In today’s society, we still find that fathers and sons having uneasy
relationships.  Most of us are unable to resolve our childhood emotional
baggages and we continue to carry them with us as we grow.  Resultantly, we
transfer them onto our children who are the easiest victims.  In our
society, we view it as taboo to confront difficult relationships and resolve
them with love and affection.  The mere display of affection between a
father and son is viewed as awkward and ‘not so normal’.  The pressures on a
man allow him no space and he is unable to craft strong bonds with other
men.

In Bhansali’s film, Devdas is sent off to London so that he is away from
Paro and is able to focus on his studies and become a successful lawyer.
For Devdas, this is a huge trauma and he feels abandoned by his father and
his family.  However, he bears this silently.  Perhaps, as a ten-year-old,
he wouldn’t have any other choice.

When Devdas comes back from London, he wants to marry Paro.  But his family
is against this match because they are a rich zamindari family while Paro
hails from a lower caste family.  Devdas is unable to flout the rules set by
his family and consequently, we find that Paro gets married to a rich
zamindar, who has children almost her age.

We all know that our parents like to decide for us and have their say when
it comes to our careers and marriage.  We resent their choices and decisions
for us and like Devdas, we also rebel silently, from within.  But how many
of us have the courage to question openly and gain the freedom to make our
own choices and decisions.  Like Devdas, we too build up anger within
ourselves but how would this anger help?  We talk about freedom and
independence in our society, but where will this freedom and independence
come from when we are still chained in our minds, when we do not have the
freedom to decide for ourselves?

For me, the highest and most basic form of freedom is the freedom to choose
and decide for oneself, being aware of and responsible for the consequences
of our choices and decisions.

One of the popular newspapers in our city posed the question, “Can Devdas be
a hero for today’s youth?”  I feel that Devdas perfectly represents today’s
youth who are weak and are unable to flout the establishment.  Today’s youth
are angst-ridden youngsters hungry for revolution.  But they feel incapable
of carrying out the revolution themselves because they are used to status
quo.  (Of course, status-quo represents comfort and who wants to walk out of
comfort?!?!)  Instead, they focus hard on enjoying themselves (just like
Devdas who wanted to drown his miseries in alcohol).  But how successful are
we in trying to run away from our real problems?

Devdas was a victim – a victim of his own anger, a victim who kept punishing
himself and a victim who portrayed himself as helpless.  We can continue to
be Devdas‘es’ and wallow in self-pity.  Like Devdas, we can choose to be
angry with ourselves and with the larger society.  But if we do not want to
be Devdas, what is the way out?

You would think that I am asking you to rebel outright and go against all
that is.  No!  I am asking you to become aware of your weaknesses and take
to find the courage to act inspite of the weaknesses.  Weaknesses instill a
sense of fear within us.  True courage is to act inspite of the fear.

If we are to establish independent and free societies, the first step is to
change ourselves.  We can continue to be indifferent to our personal
conditions and to the problems in society.  But please know that a society
which is indifferent to its own deteriorating situation is one day
victimized by its own apathy.

So, what choice do you want to make?

- Zainab Bawa