[Reader-list] Act Now! Speak up!

zamrooda zamrooda at sarai.net
Fri Jul 19 11:59:16 IST 2002

Dear All

The silent majority needs to speak up now.  This is our chance to actually
 do something instead of just complaining about the rot that is eating away
 at the heart of our nation. Do it now!

On May 2, 2002 the Supreme Court of India passed a landmark judgement
 mandating candidates contesting parliamentary or assembly elections to
 disclose to the public:

Their criminal records (convictions, acquittals, charges, etc.), if any
Their assets and liabilities
Their educational qualifications

Greater transparency strikes at the root of corrupt and criminal
 politics. People have a right to know; if they still elect corrupt
politicians, they probably deserve no better. This directive has to be
implemented by the Election Commissioner. All major parties are
resisting it.

This is a rare opportunity for the silent majority to make itself heard. If we
don't, we have no one else to blame.

 You can make yourself heard. Please sign the petition to the Election
 Commissioner

 http://www.ipetitions.com/campaigns/SupremeCourtIndia_Clean_Politics/

http://www.ipetitions.com/campaigns/SupremeCourtIndia_Clean_Politics/>

 Please also forward this message to every Indian on your
 e-mailing list.