[Reader-list] One Week in Aman Chowk (Part 1)

bhrigu at sarai.net bhrigu at sarai.net
Tue Jul 23 08:08:42 IST 2002

A few weeks ago i visited Ahmedabad as a volunteer, along with a group of 9
other people to help Citizen's Initiative, a group of Gujrat-based NGO's, with
their efforts in various relief camps. Here is a piece i wrote a few days
after my return.

One week in Aman Chowk (Part 1)

How do you make sense of a tragedy? How do you tell other people about it? It
is possible that you could try and evoke the first-hand horror of it by
concentrating on a definite period or a set of acts of violence as singular
events of terror. But how do you possibly convey the everydayness of it, the
continuity of terror, as it is renewed in smaller ways, as it spills into the
present and the future and becomes mundane in public consciousness. I fear
that the former is easier because it grabs our attention. Since returning to
Delhi from Ahmedabad, I must have narrated 'my experiences of Gujrat' on
numerous different occasions to people with vastly varying degrees of
political engagement and beliefs. What has remained the same is that each time
I have felt a burden akin to that of Sheherazade - what if my listeners are
not shocked, horrified and fascinated by what I have to say? What if they
don't understand the spectacular nature of the tragedy? Another thing - the
people who organised themselves as perpetrators of the acts and events that
occurred in recent months in Gujrat, at some level, also intended it to act as
a medieval (and increasingly modern) reactionary form of punishment as public
spectacle.

The brutality of recent events in Gujrat are now a part of public memory and
will circulate as narratives locally, and otherwise, in various forms whether
or not we write, act or do anything at all. Unfortunately, if the bloody past
of South Asia is anything to go by, it is very possible that the spectacular
element of these narratives will re-surface with frightening regularity in the
future with all kinds of consequences. Is there any way to write against such
terror? There is the danger that if our images and words are shocking enough,
they might provoke an equally horrifying reaction. A different but equally
frightening possibility - it might gradually further what has been called a
"dismay of images". Potential consumers of such images will then increasingly
require ever more detail in words and images of hurt and suffering to
authenticate reality. It is best then to proceed with some degree of caution.
As easy as it is to produce an eminently readable account full of killings,
beheadings, arson, and rape, it is that much more difficult to narrate a
riveting account of the difficulties encountered in running a camp, in
designing an adequately broad compensation form or say, the processes by which
people are resettled (or prevented from leading a stable life) over a longer
period of time. Thus, in what follows I will try and spend some energy on the
mundane, as I do on the grotesque, in the hope that we can try and convey the
horror, not just of a specified 'official' period of violence but of all that
which continues in the lives of the people that we met.
-------------------------------

A few weeks back, in mid-June I was sitting with Taufiqkhan Pathan, the main
camp organiser of the Aman Chowk relief camp in Bapunagar, Ahmedabad.
Taufiqkhan is an elected municipal official, the Chairman of the Hospital
Committee of the Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation. In early March, the Aman
Chowk camp had about 6000 people. By the time we visited it in June, there
were about 2500 people still there. Most people at the Aman Chowk camp came
from directly adjacent or neighbouring areas - Chunnilal Devshankar Chawl,
Manilal Chawl, Shantiniketan, Sone ki Chawl, Akbar Nagar, Arban Nagar, and
from jhuggi clusters surrounding the nearby telephone exchange. Others came
from further off - Haldervas in Khera district about 35km away, Kuha village
in the rural district just off Ahmedabad city, Chamanpura, Naroda Patiya and
Meghaninagar. In calm and measured tones Taufiqkhan described to me the
logistics of setting up a camp, a process he had previously undertaken in 1985
and 1992 at exactly the same spot in Aman Chowk, following outbreaks of what
he described as toofan. It was a long, disjointed interview in the course of
which we discussed, among other things, how people were brought to Aman Chowk,
the surrounding Bapunagar area, the difference between previous instances of
violence and the present one, and changes in the character of the city of
Ahmedabad. Ahmedabad, once known as the 'Manchester of the East' had a total
of 73 large-scale mills. Of these only 13 or so now remain. Bapunagar is a
mill district, well known for its fragility and tendency towards communal
clashes, over the last many decades. However, Taufiqkhan spoke with nostalgia
of the time before the closure of various textile-mills across the city, when
large diaspora of migrant labour helped Ahmedabad become one of the most
prosperous cities in the country. He describes that period as one of
tolerance, at a time when the area was known as 'mini-India' because of the
diversity of its inhabitants.
Once the mills began to shut down in the 1980s, many people moved out of
Bapunagar. In the 1970s, Bapunagar was a Muslim majority area but gradually as
migrant Muslim mill-workers moved out, the area changed in character and
became segregated into distinct Muslim and Hindu neighbourhoods. As far back
as most people can remember the road separating the Hindu from the Muslim
residential areas has been called the 'border'. Most present residents are
ex-millworkers, who shifted to smaller scale factories and cottage industries
or opened small businesses and shops to make a living. February 28th and the
weeks that followed, quite drastically altered the look of most businesses,
shops, restaurants and homes on the Muslim side of the border. The pattern is
similar across long rows of shops, or the remains of what used to be houses.
The closer you are to the border, the greater the annihilation. Doors blasted
open with bottles of kerosene and petrol bombs, black, singed walls, piles of
rubble in various corners, the occasional small household-based karkhana with
broken, blackened machines. The Hindu side of the border looks quite pleasant,
houses of various different hues and colours, Ganesha or an occasional Durga
adorning the front door. If you have a suitably wide-angle lens, there is even
a spot near the border from where you can take a photograph - an endless row
of colour-coordinated black on one side and an equally long row of neat,
unharmed, multi-coloured, houses on the other.

Throughout the interview Taufiqkhan's tone was energetic and businesslike and
his words were guarded. When he spoke of the riot-affected, they were people
very different from him, bechare jhuggi-jhopri dwellers. Only once in the
entire conversation, did his voice drop - "I have lived here in Bapunagar for
the past 41 years. During this time there have been many ups and downs but I
have never seen anything like this." Before the interview I had planned to ask
him about the circulation of a set of stories about municipal hospitals in
Ahmedabad, some of them possibly under his direct jurisdiction, where it was
rumoured that in early March, during the worst period of violence, Muslim
patients arriving for treatment were poisoned, or otherwise brutalized by
Hindu hospital workers, nurses and doctors. I had planned to ask him other
things too - How did he react to the murder of Ehsan Jafri, an ex-M.P. and a
fellow Congress party member of even bigger political stature than him? It is
said that while a screaming mob stood outside Ehsan Jafri's house, he made
frantic telephone calls to the Director General of police, the Police
Commissioner, the Chief Secretary, the Additional chief Secretary (Home) and
others. There was no response. A group of people walked into Ehsan Jafri's
house and burnt him alive. I wanted to ask him, Taufiqbhai - do you trust your
colleagues in the Municipal Corporation? Whom all do you meet at work every
morning? What is the chain of command above you? Are you being able to do your
work these days? Sitting barely 10 meters away from the camp, in an interview
conducted with a number of people from the camp and nearby areas sitting
around us, many of whom had presumably voted for him, I couldn't bring myself
to ask him any of this.

Shortly after I returned to Delhi, two news items on www.ahmedabad.com, a
local website I have been following quite closely since early March caught my
eye:

- Indicating that early polls are likely in Gujarat, the BJP intends to
organise a gaurav yatra (pride march) to propagate the "achievements" of the
Modi government. Pushing forward its Hindutva plank in the state, the Vishwa
Hindu Parishad also plans to hold a "rath yatra" in its full grandeur on July
12….Though the elections are slated for February next year, strategists in the
Modi government are in favour of an early poll. They feel that Chief Minister
Narendra Modi has become the "most popular leader among the Hindu community in
the state and no time should be lost to take advantage of his popularity."

							(26th June, 2002)

- Having feared opposition from their neighbours earlier, riot victims staying
in camps across the city are now refusing to return to the homes, apprehending
violence during the Rathyatra on July 12, which also happens to be a Friday.
The victims, especially in Behrampura, Naroda and Chamanpura fear that
violence might erupt again and are refusing to even start rebuilding their
shops and houses, organiser of Aman Chowk relief camp in Bapunagar, Taufiqkhan
Pathan said.
"We have closed down our camp but people from these areas refuse to go. We
have about 400 persons who are still staying with us," he said. About 20
families from Naroda Patiya and 60 families from Meghaninagar, Roshanbhai
Chawl, Chiloda and Chamanpura do not wish to go back till the Rathyatra is
over, Mr. Pathan said…"We do not get anything from the collector's office and
as per the records, the camp is closed. However, since people continue to stay
here we have to continue the camp unofficially," he said.

                                                            (24th June, 2002)

400 persons who are still staying with us, some of whom were still in the
process of recovering from the earthquake in Gujrat the year before, others
who had told us about their fear of the Rath Yatra even while we were there,
and a handful of whom I have kept in touch with since returning to Delhi. As I
write this in end June, it has started raining in Ahmedabad. Aman Chowk has
flooded, so the remaining people have collected in a smaller part of what used
to be the camp. A few days back there was a massive short circuit so the bulbs
that used to light up the camp and the surrounding area at night aren't
working anymore, and of course, the government has stopped ration and water
supplies because the camp is now 'shut'.