[Reader-list] One Week in Aman Chowk (Part 3)

bhrigu at sarai.net bhrigu at sarai.net
Tue Jul 23 08:13:29 IST 2002

One Week in Aman Chowk (Part 3)

The one thing that took up most of our time and attention at Aman Chowk was
the children. The first day we arrived, we went to the camp office and made an
announcement. Jo bachhe drama aur painting karna chahein, khelna chahein, voh
manch par aa jayein. This was a large, elevated platform right next to the
camp. A wave of about 200 children arrived from various parts of the camp. We
played simple games involving clapping, sound and movement. Many of the adults
from the camp gathered around to watch and smiled and laughed with us. I think
there may have been a note of relief. Here was someone who did not want to
take any photographs, was not officiously noting down things in a pad and did
not want them to tell their stories for the hundredth time. (Outsiders making
quick, short visits, or 'tragic tourists' as they have come to be called, will
often come back and say, "People are dying to tell their stories". This need
not always be the case at all. Quite often people from the camps are fed up,
having narrated incidents over and over again). Afterwards, many of the
children wanted to sit with us, talk, hold our hands and show us around the
camp.

Gradually we learnt their names. Firoz was the boy who would catch hold of my
finger as soon as I arrived and not let go until I left. His younger sister
Ruksaar and their baby brother Taufiq respectively adopted the other two from
our group of three visitors to their camp. Niloufer was the girl who always
had a baby on her arm. Sabeer was the boy who would ask me, at least five
times, at the end of each day - "Kal Aaoge?" and then add "Roz Aana", again
five times, extending the 'o' each time, till he was tired with the effort.
Fatima was the girl with the angelic smile who would wreak havoc in the
singing sessions by singing loudly and out of tune. Rahim, Munin and Hassan
were the bigger boys, who would often help us out during our sessions with the
younger kids. A couple of them worked at nearby chai shops. Two days before we
left, they bought each of us a small gift from money they had saved up and
collected over the past few days. Many of the kids lived in the houses in the
surrounding area, but spent the day playing in and around the camp. Some of
the houses, such as Hasan's, had bullet holes and marks on the walls from the
police firing. For the first couple of days no one brought up the dhamaal.
Perhaps they were protected, I thought. They lived far away and their parents
brought them here under the cover of the night. This turned out to be further
from the truth than I could have possibly imagined. After a couple of days,
Firoz, though he didn't talk about the dhamaal was quite insistent that we
come to visit 'his' Dargah. He also wanted to show us where he used to live. I
presumed that it would be at some distance, which would mean going with him in
an auto-rickshaw or a bus. This worried me a bit because I wasn't sure if his
mother would approve of our taking him away like that. In this I was wrong
again, his house was a two-minute walk from the camp. Barely a kilometre away,
left from Aman Chowk is a row of erstwhile kuchha and pakka houses that used
to comprise Manilal ki Chawl. What remains now is only piles of black soot,
some bricks and an occasional remnant of a wall. One of these spaces used to
belong to Firoz and he comes to look at it everyday. Further down the road is
the dargah, one of the many that was ravaged in this part of the city. The
front entrance is still standing, which is surprising given the ferociousness
of the attack with which the rest of it is marked. Further inside is a canopy
without a head. What removed the head was an LPG gas cylinder, the top half of
which is still inserted firmly into the base of the structure, so firmly that
they haven't been able to take it out. Its sturdy red frame still retains some
of the apocalyptic energy from the days it first found its place there - it
jumps up and attacks you as you enter the dargah.

Just beyond the area that used to be Manilal ki Chawl is a line of trees on a
small, shady patch at the top of a hillock. If you climb the hillock you can
look down into the Lal Bahadur Shastri Stadium, the largest public space in
this part of Ahmedabad. Several important political leaders have addressed
rallies in this stadium. The hillock continues onto a plateau where there is a
small park for children with swings and a few slides. Further down is another
green patch, another Dargah (also in ruins) and then finally the main road.
This area, prior to the dhamaal, used to belong to the children. On another
evening, Mushtaq recounts his own childhood, now almost two decades back,
based in this same space. The early part of the evening would be neeche in the
stadium, playing cricket. Late evenings, he would climb the hill, come to the
small park and sit in relative privacy further away from the swings where
other children were playing, and study, because there were too many
disturbances at home. On Sundays the stadium would be full, like a mela. Five
or six cricket matches on simultaneously, ice-cream, cold drinks, chaat and
other snack vendors, toys, some clothes and other knick-knacks for sale. In
late February many of the children spotted the stadium filling up with a
different kind of crowd. Numbers vary depending on how intensely the story is
being told but a reasonable guess would be between three or four thousand
people, armed to the teeth. Muslim residents from the area gathered on the
road above the hill to try and create a line of defence. Police vans arrived
in large numbers and began firing at this line of defence. Their subsequent
retreat behind the first row of houses to take shelter from the police firing
opened up the space for the first wave of two thousand to enter from the
stadium and begin some preliminary arson. Some of the children hid and watched
their houses being burnt. Here we are two and a half months later, standing at
exactly the same spot, surrounded by soot and rubble. The remaining crowd in
the stadium waits in anticipation for the first wave to return. This crowd is
well looked after. Water tankers, food stalls, sweets and other goodies dot
various parts of the stadium. In one corner alcohol is served, further off a
puja is held. We walk up the hillock to take a bird's eye view of the stadium.
On the road behind us, a police jeep passes and for a moment, no one speaks.
Rahim points to a gate in the distance. Vahaan se Hindu log aaye the. On the
last day before leaving, I tell him, Main Hindu hoon. He thinks for a bit,
looks a bit shocked, then tells me, Shayad sabh Hindu log ek se nahin hote,
kuch achhe bhi ho sakte hain. Munin remembers a number of trucks with
loudspeakers, repeatedly making announcements, occasionally throwing taunts at
the retreating line of defence. Kaccha Chawal Kaccha Paan, Mullah bhago
Pakistan. Firoz remembers other sounds, helicopter blades, bulldozers banging
against walls, blasts and screams. More announcements, Yahaan dhamaal hone
vali hain, Yahaan se bhaag jao, Rehna hai to Hindu ban ke raho.
Videos are circulated among the people of Bapunagar, gifted to them by the
attacking tolas. These contain footage from the previous few days of violence
at Naroda-Patiya, one of the worst hit areas anywhere in Gujrat. One night,
back at Xavier's, police footage from Naroda-Patiya was screened in the common
room. I have been to the archaeological site at Pompeii in Italy. In one of
the houses there, just next to an ornately decorated wall, you are startled by
the presence of a contorted body, as if it were sculpted with coal black
putty. An artwork of horror, perfectly preserved over centuries by a sudden
burst of lava from Mt.Vesuvius, the shock still registered on its face by a
mouth wide open, screaming. The body is almost 2000 years old, but if you look
at it, you can still hear the scream. The Naroda Patiya video had many such
bodies and let it suffice to say that Mt.Vesuvius was much, much kinder. I
could spend the next two paragraphs describing what I saw in the five minutes
that I could bear to watch the video. Worse, I could describe what I saw on
the faces of those left to salvage the remains of bodies and entrails, faces
covered with hankies, tears streaming down their eyes. But I set out to write
against terror, not to describe it in its grisly, corporeal detail. The
morning after they screened the video at Xavier's, I woke up bathed in sweat,
got out of the room and brushed my teeth, crying.

After roughly four or five hours the first wave of attackers returns, the
second wave, waiting in the stadium takes over. This passing of the baton,
wave to wave, continues for 36 hours and the tola spreads to various parts of
Bapunagar. In this time every Muslim of any social standing in the area is
calling every influential person they know but phone after phone is off the
hook. When they do get through, they are told, 36 ghanton tak hamare haath
bandhey hue hain. In areas of recurring communal violence, communities have
their own networks of 'protection'. In this case that network had been
systematically and successfully disabled. How did these waves finally stop?
Perhaps the attackers got tired, or they thought their work was done. Perhaps
they moved on to other areas, to join their colleagues elsewhere. According to
Rahim, military ne aake hamein bacha liya, nahin to voh andar Aman Chowk tak
bhi pahunch gaye hote, sab kuch khatam ho jaata.

Another evening we were walking down the same road, past the same hillock with
Mushtaq. Further down the road was a small, blackened shop without a door. A
man came out of it. Namaste, mera naam Radheshyam. Mushtaq gave him a friendly
pat on his back, his grim expression unchanged. Is bechare ki dukaan galti se
jal gayi. Unhone socha yeh mussalman hai. We walked on ahead and visited other
shops and houses. It was getting late and we needed to be back in time for our
evening meeting at Xavier's. We cut through the park and another wooded patch
and emerged on the left side of the stadium to be confronted by a small, mud
hut with saffron coloured walls. This was a street corner Mandir, like many
others on street corners all over India. On the wall of the Mandir was a
hand-painted local hybrid version of Durga with a trishul. A middle-aged woman
came out with a thaali and a diya, she had just finished performing arti. We
kept walking. Mushtaq spoke. Champabhen, bade din ho gaye mile hue! He went up
to her and she smiled. Arre Mushtaq! Kaise ho? Following him, we walked up to
the temple as well. Arre, jao jao, andar jao. Abhi prasad chadha hai, Mushtaq
told us. I walked in and almost automatically, I bent down, touched the base
of the statue and folded my hands. Champabhen gave me some prasad, a fraction
of a laddoo. Mushtaq and Maksood took some as well, with their right hand,
left hand cupping it from below. Later as we waited for a bus Mushtaq told us,
Yahaan ke Hindu logon se hamari koi ladayi nahin hai. Voh to Police aayi,
bahaar ke log aaye, tabahi machaa ke chale gaye. During a previous period of
violence in 1992, following the demolition of the Babri Masjid, Mushtaq had
hidden Hindu families from Bapunagar in his house for over a week. Back at
Xavier's we heard stories, very different ones. Neighbours, close friends,
long-term area residents participating in the murders of people they had known
for years, celebrating the destruction of houses they had visited, bloodying
spaces they had inhabited together.
        ---------------------------

In liberal, secular or humanist narrations of violence it is customary to end
on a note of hope. To find some story, however small, which stops us at least
some length short of dystopia. There are things I can say about Aman Chowk,
which would be suitable for such an ending. There is the owner of Mushtaq's
factory, Jayantibhai Patel, whom he calls 'kaka', who sent him a machine, so
that he might continue to make plastic folders from his own home. Champabehn,
a taluka panchayat delegate and Lalsingh Thakur, a landowner, both from
Haldervas, hid a large number of Muslim families in their fields and houses
and called up Taufiqkhan, who went with trucks to fetch the families to Aman
Chowk. I hope there are more such stories. I do want to be able to speak of
hope - to write about the NGOs, the volunteers coming in from all over the
country, the local people, both Muslim and Hindu, working tirelessly to
restore some sense of stability - and say that things will improve. But hope,
these days, is increasingly scarce.

What continues to frighten me about Gujrat, is not so much the violence that
has occurred but things as they presently stand. Newspapers regularly inform
us that Chief Minister Narendra Modi has become "the most popular leader among
the Hindu community in the state." Forget the actually existing 'truth' behind
such a statement. Just for someone to be able to say such a thing without
being called ridiculous, without being labeled a reprobate liar, is in itself
a shocking commentary on the state of affairs in Gujrat. Having said that, let
us also be clear about one thing - it is not that if it weren't for the BJP or
the Sangh Parivar, 'ordinary' people in Gujrat would live in a static and
blissful state of 'communal harmony'. A condition somewhat endemic to ordinary
lives in South Asia is mutual suspicion over various kinds of difference -
class, caste, religion, region, language etc. In Gujrat and other places all
over India, there are areas and times when lives become particularly
polarised. Despite this, the traces that party politics has left on everyday
lives over the previous decade have been different, new and extremely
frightening. We know quite well that the BJP and the Sangh Parivar entered
mainstream politics by zoning in on what has possibly been our weakest and
most fatal vector of difference - religious identity, the dependable
divisiveness of which has facilitated centuries of domination of various
kinds. In many parts of India, we have watched the BJP and the Sangh Parivar
tap, harness and mobilize histories of hatred and successfully create fresher,
more painful wounds. In Gujrat, this experiment has come to fruition. They
have transformed an existing mythology of suspicion into systematic and
efficient machinery of destruction. In the process of creating a set of
enemies, they have helped large populations discover the evil they have
imputed to these 'aliens', and unabashedly mimic the savagery they have
imputed.

What sort of understanding - what sort of speech, writing and construction of
meaning by any mode - can deal with and subvert that? Whatever it is, we need
to find it fast.

What terrifies me even more is this - what next? What are the other places
where similar processes are being put in place? Where else are ordinary people
gradually moving towards a state of communalisation, the real extent of which
we will only realize after the next apocalypse? Over the past few months I
have listened to discussions of politics on the streets and in the drawing
rooms of Delhi with increasing concern. The story goes that India and its
Hindus have been passive for too long, be it against external or internal
enemies. It would seem that the tide has turned. They are now baying for
blood. This with a government creating, fuelling, renewing this hatred, slowly
installing machinery whose existence we are as yet unaware of. A government
that has shown that it is willing to pave the way for this aggression to turn
into organised action. We are steadily heading for the kind of violence that
will make the partition of 1947 look like a minor blemish in the history of
South Asia. That followed by daily lives of constant terror, sudden suicide
bombings and a culture of suspicion and surveillance. What shames me at this
moment is my failure to find any way to write against this impending terror,
my inability to speak of healing and hope.

-------------------------------

When the muezzin died, the city was robbed of every call.
The houses were swept about like leaves
for burning. Now every night we bury
our houses - and theirs; the ones left empty.
We are faithful. On their doors we hang wreaths.

O pardon me thou bleeding piece of earth -

The sky is stunned, its become a ceiling of stone.
I tell you it must weep.

After such knowledge what forgiveness? What defence?

(Lines from the poetry of Agha Shahid Ali)