[Reader-list] Why put Shuddha in pain?

Jeebesh Bagchi jeebesh at sarai.net
Tue Mar 12 15:58:46 IST 2002

Seems like `silence` has become a sign emitting radiations of complicity or
helpnessness or fear or unease or..... Could be read as profound or empty.
But it definitely shows a deep inability to articulate or grieve or mourn.

As long as accusations are easy we are able to find a way of saying things,
even the uncomfortable or the unpalatable. But when things are closer, whose
immediate effects are palpably around us and can engulf us anytime, it is
difficult. At least to me it is difficult.

Television finds it easy to narrate, it has faces with sound bites, spaces
with images and a `distance` that is not available to everyone. And this
non-availability makes us silent with bewilderment or guilt or shame. You
have to talk about yourself without recourse to another's `bites` or
`opinions` is really tough. A list provides us this freedom but also this is
the most difficult thing to do in moments such as these.

Pratap, why this move into `everyday acts of fascism`. Everyday acts are very
complicated and the word `fascism` may just foreclose thinking about it.

Lives are more and more ruled by fear. All kinds of fear. And it is difficult
to talk `openly about fear`!

best
Jeebesh