[Reader-list] from Ahmedabad

vidya shah vidyashah at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 14 03:09:33 IST 2002

here is a first account of what happened in Ahmedabad.
Vidya

The last 36 hours in Ahmedabad:

Yesterday was Gujarat bandh and so most of the shops, business, offices were
shut and so was traffic on the road. After Narendra Modi's statement about
how the act of burning the Sabarmati express was a "sinful" one and all
those who were involved will have to "pay", people in Ahmedabad started
burning and looting shops of people from Muslim community. (few other shops
were also looted, such as "pantaloon", but this was basically looting
exercise). Shops in our area (Paldi, near National Institute of Design)
belonging to Muslims such as the Bakery, Laundry, Stationary and of
Mechanics were targeted with a plan and burnt down. This went on till late
evening. I could see smoke from all directions from my roof top. Our area is
basically  middle class locality (which is normally suppose to not indulge
in such activities!!)

Today morning I decided to see from my own eyes as yesterday around 12.30
our cable network broke down (Deliberate!?) Our only source of getting news
was from phone calls or word of mouth (lots of rumors). Just a few minutes
ago I went on my motorcycle and saw two mosques which has been burnt down.
In one of the mosques (Bhattha locality) they have installed photographs and
calendars of "Hanuman". There are hand painted boards which announce that
this is a temple of "Hulladia Hanuman" (In Gujarati hullad means "Riot ").
Another mosque is 50 meters away from police station (Fatehpura area) and
still there is smoke coming from it. In one-kilometer radius I saw about 20
shops burnt down and when I am writing this (11.02 am) one residential flat
is burning and there is no police or fire fighters either.

The minority community is really scared and I am sure has migrated from this
area as Hindu's and Jain's are in majority here. Prakash Shah of Movement of
Secular Democracy, got many phone calls from this community asking him to do
something as police was nowhere in site.

On radio or TV only state machinery is being projected, I think the "Other
Voices" need to be amplified in such situation. I suggest few names. Prakash
Shah of (MSC), Movement of Secular Democracy (Ex. Editor of Jansatta) Tel :
(079) 6562806, Indubhai Jani of Gujarat Khet Vikas Parishad tel : 7557772
(0), 6303415 ®, Chunibhai Vaidya also from MSC, Navalbhai Shah, Ex.
Education Minister, Tel : 7559383, Dr. D.N.Pathak, Gujarat Vidyapith.

Parthiv Shah
11.23 am 1 March 2002
Ahmedabad