[Reader-list] database

joy at www.sarai.net joy at www.sarai.net
Tue Mar 26 08:46:07 IST 2002

In the light of present communal situation in India, I would like to question
the usefulness of local histories and databases of communities. It is often
found that these kinds of information become instrumental in identifying the
rival community. Voter identity cards or ration cards are used to identify
the community and attack them.

Even during normal situation large section of population who are often
referred as “illegal habitants” wants to hide themselves from police and
state. In such situation also these databases can become useful for the
state. In fact most of them are living in the city because of ability to
maintain the transparency of identity.

At one end if we talk about surveillance and at the other end create academic
archive and databases of such information; I wonder whom we are actually
helping. Who needs the ordered information in the present control freak
social relation?

Joy