[Reader-list] (no subject)

Zainab Bawa coolzanny at hotmail.com
Thu May 2 19:16:18 IST 2002

Dear Readers,
I am new on this list and have been very keenly reading all the postings. I
must say that I am very happy to be part of this list.
On the issues of Gujarat and Communal Violence (actually they are as one as
dual), I have been reading many postings. I have two questions for which I
invite generous responses:

1). How much of the happenings in Gujarat are economically motivated? Also,
what are the economic pay-offs to this whole incident?

2). What can be done?

This question is foremost on my mind because while it is important to
rehabilitate Gujarat, how can we prevent such happenings in other states in
future. Apart from the prevention, we are clearly moving into an era which
is about cultural nationalism, jingoism, fascism, fundamentalism, etc. There
might be a civil war or an ethnic cleansing of Muslims and other
'minorities'. There might be a nuclear war. The possibilities are many and
the threats are real.

As a 23-year old, I do not what future to expect for my generation or the
generations to come after me. I am scared because today, the label that I
carry is that of a 'minority'. I see orange flags all around my city and
suddenly, I am wondering whether the solidarity that was so much present in
Mumbai after the riots is gradually crumbling.

At the same time, I am watching people trying to safeguard themselves by not
confronting the situation that is so real. People are still busy trying to
make money to 'safeguard' their 'futures' and I laugh and cry at this irony
because what the hell is that future and what the hell is that security.
Isn't it false?

Yet, more than cynicism and armchair criticism, there is need for action,
hope and true optimism. Yes, I know that I can't single handedly prevent
what is happening now or what may happen in future. I am no superman or
hercules. But I am human and the best thing is that I am alive in the sense
of not just existing, but in the sense of being aware that there is more to
life than just me, myself, my share of food, clothing and shelter.

I am a stakeholder in this country, in this world and in my future which I
share with others.

Yet, what is it that I can do now? For one, I do not want to anger
hardliners any further because even though I may not be one of them, I may
be a hardliner in a different sense. The need of the hour is to listen and I
am trying to listen inspite of my anger, listen with compassion rather than
listen to retort.

Yet, I am wondering, is there any hope and hopes and if there is or are,
what is or are they?

I am still wondering.

Best regards,
Zainab Bawa