[Reader-list] digitally-mediated migrancy?

geert lovink geert at desk.nl
Fri May 3 16:28:38 IST 2002

From: "Stephen Cairns" <stephen.cairns at ed.ac.uk>

Dear Sarai list,

I am currently editing a book for Routledge on architecture and migrancy
(tentatively titled: Building Dweling Drifting: Migrancy and Architecture).
The book explores the implications migrant forms of dwelling (networked,
dispersed, diasporic etc.) have for architecture - the premise being that
architecture has historically been heavily invested in the metaphysics of
stability and
permanence. I have a good range of material - particularly from around and
across the Pacific Rim, the notional focus of the book. But what I do not
really have is material dealing digitally-mediated diasporic communities. In
other words, material on the ways in which specific migrant communities
sustain themselves through digital technologies and media.

Is anyone of you working on this topic? Or of any material already published
on this theme? I would be happy to either commission something fresh
(which would be particularly good) or re-print something if it fits the
bill.
The focus of the book remains spatial and architectural, but it needs
something on this particular kind of deterrritorializing. Anything come to
mind?

Best
Stephen

Stephen Cairns