[Reader-list] (no subject)

Zainab Bawa coolzanny at hotmail.com
Sat May 4 13:02:44 IST 2002

Dear Prakash,
Thanks for the thought provoking email. I have gained a lot from it.
I have seriously been thinking as to what is it that can be done in a
situation like this. While relief and communal harmony agencies are trying
to provide material help to rehabilitate the riot victims, the wounds are
much deeper. Unfortunately, they soon develop to become historical wounds
which lead to more antagonism in future.
My concern is for the youngsters who are likely to be influenced by the
Sangh Parivar. Here in Mumbai itself, thousands of youngsters have been
recruited to serve the RSS and its 'cause'. Women are being mobilized to
take up arms use training. Ekta Kapoor with her 'fantastic' serials like
Saas bhi kabhi, Kahani, etc. is subtly propagating a 'Hindu' culture which I
am becoming very wary of. There are Ramayan readings in the dark corners of
Western Suburbs at mid-nights. One wonders the motivation behind all of
this. Isn't it too obvious, too sinister?!?!?!
What can we do? My personal aim is to work with young people and stimulate
their faculities of independent thinking. At this point, I find apathy in my
generation, yet there is strong hope in this generation and that hope is
driving me to continue to work towards my vision.
At the same time, I am wondering what is the role that media can play?
Recently, two friends in Ahmedabad began to use the radio to send out
messages of how violence can affect lives and how violence can lead to
contructive or destructive attitudes. They seem to be happy with the
Are there other ways? Whom can we talk to? How can we talk to them? Is
dialogue the way? Is 'otherization' of the fanatics the way? Are there are
multiple and parallel ways? I am thinking still . . .
Zainab