[Reader-list] Worries about war from afar

pratap pandey pnanpin at yahoo.co.in
Thu May 23 01:06:33 IST 2002

Dear Shuddha,

Please enjoy yourself. You are a few time zones away
from Delhi, that ffffffff! place. Don't bother about
the fffffffff! place. As traffic red-lights in Delhi
used to put it, RELAX. Tell us about where you are.

You are eloquently concerned about imminent War. I had
hoped you'd be concerned about War-Mongering. That is
to say, the Logic of Fascist Governance.

You are in a place where, once (oops! how can I use
that word? But funnily enough, sitting in a place
where War has never happened, I can!), war happened.
In the ffffffffff! place, War has never happened. The
traders who support this fascist government want this
war to happen. They will profit from it, for God's
sake! How can you tell them to not profit? How else
will they sell their surplus?

Elsewhere, War rages. Lone has been gunned down. The
media didn't go to the meeting, to find out what it
was that Lone had to say. They swooped down only after
he was shot. (it seems that after the meeting
finished, he was walkingaway, and then a Gunman
appeared, and sprayed bullets.) It SEEMS: It seems
because I don't know! Nobody's TELLING me! I don't
think anybody will tell me. Rajdeep, what are you
doing?

The atmosphere here is very, very cynical. In such an
atmosphere your thoughts, Shuddha, sound sentimental.

"I would like you to be able to say to me, Shuddha,
you are talking nonsense."

Shuddha, you are talking nonsense. So am I. Like you,
I have no control over what this fascist government is
doing. We have absolutely no control. This government
has transformed our thoughts into so much "waffle".
They know we are dis-organised. More importantly, they
know we are just not in touch with the fascisised
proletariat they have managed to create.

There exists today, a "dominant" ideology, and a
"dominant". This "dominant" has been created despite
you and me. This "dominant" has been created not to
spite you and me, but to exist inspite of us. Not in
spite of us. But inspite of us.

Your posting speaks from a position of "unlearning"
the dominant. You have "unlearned" the dominant. Who
else is "unlearned"?

There will be no war. The traders that support the war
will make sure that there will be no war. That is to
say, against Pakistan. About the other wars (you spoke
of them in your May 8, 2002, posting), I am not so
sure.

So enjoy yourself. You are in a place that experienced
war and then managed to create a civil society where,
for the first time in the history of nations, a party
got votes because it had a merely environmental
agenda. Pray, from that place, that War happens here
so that, AT LAST, civil society stops waffling and
starts doing something.

yours unworriedly,
pp

 --- Shuddhabrata Sengupta <shuddha at www.sarai.net>