[Reader-list] Wake-up call (Henry Porter)

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Wed May 29 13:59:31 IST 2002

The Guardian
Wednesday May 29, 2002

Wake-up call

For the first time since the Cuban missile crisis, nuclear war is not
a distant threat but a real possibility and the lives of 12 million
people are at risk. But you may not have realised - perhaps because
the rest of the world doesn't seem too bothered, or because India and
Pakistan are a long way away. Or maybe you just don't want it to
spoil your World Cup. Henry Porter says it's time to take notice

Henry Porter

We always knew it would be something like this - two peoples
myopically locked in ancestral loathing and equipped with nuclear
weapons rush to war before the rest of the world has time to prevent
the disaster. Deterrence may just work this time. We must pray that
it does but meanwhile it is imperative to realise how the world came
to the point where a nuclear exchange became an admissible rather
than an unthinkable possibility.

Since September 11 the world has changed dramatically and in ways
that we have so far yet to understand. If India and Pakistan had come
to this pass last summer there would have been a far greater
diplomatic effort to bring the nations to their senses. UN Secretary
General Kofi Annan would have been shuttling between Islamabad and
Delhi or standing on the border in Kashmir (which incidentally is
where I believe he should be now), and America would have been
galvanised by the crisis, putting its full might into making sure
that these two countries understood that the nuclear option is
unacceptable to the whole of humanity.

But since 9/11 the processes of conflict resolution have been
diminished and the norms of international behaviour have been
degraded. Al-Qaida's attacks not only terrorised the west, they also
coarsened us and narrowed our ability to engage in a pro bono
diplomacy. While Pakistan and India were mobilising these past few
days, the Bush administration has been completely diverted by the
president's tour of Russia and Europe and the continuing agenda of
how to respond to the threat of al-Qaida.

Every emergency and every event is now passed through a new and
dangerously egotistical filter that was erected by the Americans last
autumn and is designed to see events exclusively in the context of
American security and peace of mind. We have, to some degree, been
converted to this process, for American security does matter to us
all even if we don't like to admit it - but it means that situations
which do not appear to have an immediate bearing on US concerns fade
from our attention. Kashmir, although just under 500 miles from the
theatre of war in Afghanistan, has been almost completely neglected
as an important issue because the US and Europe were primarily
concerned about President Musharraf's assistance in toppling the
Taliban.

In other words, the understanding of an entire region, its
complexities and competing needs, has been swept aside in the pursuit
of one western priority.

As important as this is, it is remarkable how little we have seen of
Annan and how powerless and negligible his contributions have seemed
in respect of the wars on Afghanistan and in the Middle East. In
these times of crisis he has turned out not to be the statesman that
we were all certain lay beneath that collected exterior of his, but a
rather slight and inoffensive figure.

Admittedly his influence has been in part reduced by the sheer force
of American unilateralist military action. The arguments for
retaliation were compelling last year, at least to the US and British
governments, and the UN more or less went along with them. But the UN
has since failed to rise above the shock of September 11 and provide
vision in this new era of disorder. For example, although the
security council has voted 14-1 against possible military action in
Iraq, there is no sense that this features in American calculations,
no sense that Annan has any power to impress upon America the
importance of the vote. If America's perception of the world's needs
has been subsumed by its own powerful sense of injury and outrage,
then it was for Annan to develop a rhetoric which goes beyond one
nation's interests. That is what he and the UN are for.

As Malcolm Rifkind said on Monday's Newsnight, it is astonishing that
the security council is not in permanent session. It is also
remarkable that there is not a greater sense of international alarm
at a situation which approaches the Cuban missile crisis in its
gravity. Annan should be in the subcontinent conveying a compelling
message to the Indian and Pakistani people which is that the world
will not contemplate such vast destruction and pain. Instead he talks
to the leaders by phone and issues weak statements from UN
headquarters which nobody takes the slightest notice of. How
different things would be if America had not got itself into a muddle
with Pakistan - on one border an ally of US's war against terrorism
and on another a sponsor of Islamist insurgency. It could then back
Annan with all its conviction and might.

American intelligence estimates put the toll in the event of a full
exchange of the two nuclear arsenals at 12 million dead with maybe
seven million wounded - an instant slaughter unprecedented in the
history of mankind. But despite the movement of missiles yesterday
and the tests which took place in Pakistan over the weekend, the
possibility of nuclear warfare still strikes the west as either
remote or not really very important. British newspapers carried these
figures on their inside pages, if at all, and the general impression
is that India and Pakistan have got a nerve to distract us from the
exciting run-up to the World Cup.

Possibly that is summarising things a bit flippantly but there is, I
think, a failure to understand the scale of the threat . We admit
this terrible possibility and allow the contemplation of the figures
and the crossing of a threshold where this horror becomes part of our
record. Why are we guilty of such drift, of such apathy? Have we
forgotten how the second world war ended in Japan, or is there maybe
something more sinister at work, a voice which is saying, "If there
is a going to be nuclear war to remind us all of the utter horror, it
might as well be in south Asia?" Or is it simply part of our
collective nature to expect these large-scale exterminations once
every couple of generations?

If similar hostilities menaced Europe the concern would be a great
deal sharper. Few of us would be able to concentrate on our lives,
let alone on the World Cup. But as it is this stand-off is taking
place many thousands of miles away and one has to consider the
possibility that there is a racist element in our thinking which
quietly suggests the two countries could easily afford to suffer 19
million casualties. I hope not, but how else do we explain our own
disengagement?

One columnist, writing in the Daily Mail, raised the issue that it
might be racist to have reservations about Indian and Pakistan
controlling nuclear weapons because they cannot be trusted. This is
to miss the point profoundly because the objections to these two
countries developing weapons of mass destruction was because they
have gone to war three times since partition in 1947 and their
relations are characterised by congenital mistrust. The second and
perhaps more subtle reason is the differential that exists between
the capabilities and understanding of the Indian and Pakistani masses
and the regimes which have acquired these weapons. It is plain, at
least in Pakistan where up to two thirds of people are thought to be
near illiterate, that there is very little understanding of the
consequences of a nuclear exchange. In effect it would be the end of
their nation. Clearly Musharraf and the Pakistani elite see that, but
under a military dictatorship all that stands between the people of
Pakistan and catastrophe is the balance of one man's mind. It is
hardly racist to observe that neighbouring countries with convulsive
politics and deep loathing should be discouraged from the development
of these weapons.

This is important because there must be much greater international
efforts against nuclear proliferation. It is all very well America
and Russia agreeing over the weekend to reduce their arsenals, but
their pact makes no difference whatsoever to the security of the very
large amounts of highly enriched uranium (HEU) and plutonium that is
available in Russia. In 1998, for example, Russia's federal security
service foiled an attempt to steal 18 kilograms of HEU - nearly
enough for a bomb - from a weapons laboratory in the Urals. In 2001,
six grams of plutonium were found hidden in a ship in a Latvian port.
In the past six years rods, pellets and plates of radioactive
material have been smuggled out of the former Soviet Union. This
requires our concentration and the focus of international effort. But
what did the Bush administration do when it arrived in our lives? It
proposed a cut in the non-proliferation budget of the energy
department of $41m (£28m).

The fact is that material is out there, both illicitly and with
legitimate regimes, and the west continues to endorse this situation
by trading in components and conventional weapons. As Jack Straw
pleads with both sides to see reason in Kashmir his case is eroded by
the history of British arms sales to the subcontinent. We are
anything but pure in this matter and some time soon we have to grasp
that the trade in arms with these countries is no way to effect peace.

If the two sides withdraw and we are able to get on with life, the
thing that we must take away from the situation was the failure of
the international community, of American diplomacy and of Europe's
cohesion. The dispute developed right under our noses, yet only this
week was anything like a response produced, and that was well below
par. I suppose in the end what we are talking about is lack of
leadership and vision in the UN, US and Europe, but there has also
been a failure of imagination. Opinion counts for something in these
matters and we are at least equipped with the knowledge to form those
opinions and express them. Our disengagement up to now has been
regrettable.