[Reader-list] discussing residue

Jeebesh Bagchi jeebesh at sarai.net
Thu Nov 7 17:05:46 IST 2002

Dear Rana, Pratap etal.,

Lets take a few sites and see how we can elaborate on this concept `residue`.

- If we look at the mega-sports industry (from cricket to football and
everything above below and between) we hear about performances, glories and
`loss of form`. But there is another story that keeps flowing underneath the
`main story` which is of injuries, burn-outs, fatalities and "not good
enough". This underneath i would consider as part of the `residue` of the
system of the industry.

- The feeling of being `thrown out` after being drained of all possible
`potential energy` as a working body and mind - this is a very everyday
feeling for many. "Chilka banake phek diya` (reduced to a husk and thrown) is
a common refrain that you will hear in most intensive work zones. These days
the phrase `early burn out` is also very common in many high intensity
professions, including managerial ones. These feelings and utterances could
hint towards an understanding of `residue`.

- Thousands of non-capitalist commodity producers (simple commodity
producers, primarily peasants & artisans) face survival threats from the
larger commodity transcations that they enter on a daily basis. These
transactions produce another kind of `residue`.

Living labour not required within the logic of the `mode of production`
always finds itself thrown away. This thrown away state can be called residue.

best
Jeebesh