[Reader-list] [OT] GNU/Linux doubts

Supreet supreet at sarai.net
Sat Nov 9 06:37:09 IST 2002

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 10:30:42PM +0530, Raghavendra Bhat wrote:
> [off-topic on this List]
>
> mohit vohra posts:
>
> >> how do i update it to the latest version, Mandrake 9.0
>
> I  do not  know  whether Mandrake  v8.1  can be  smoothly upgraded  to
> Mandrake  v9.0.    But  there  is  this   distribution  called  Debian
> GNU/Linux,  the choice  of  the  freedom lovers;  with  which you  can
> upgrade  the entire system,  across releases.   Under Debian  GNU, you
> have this tool called as `apt-get' which helps you achieve this.

For one I think though I am not sure Mandrake 8.1 could be upgraded to 9.0.
Freedom is important.But shell we see some facts. First Debian 3.0 installer
is not good enough, fantastic stuff is being done on debian installer. and
some people may also be working on PGI. But still there are few steps from
something I would call complete. Most people I know have done apt-get
upgrade on net. Then 2.2 insaller does'nt support ext3fs AFAIK which I
consider important. Its not fool-proof but it gives sufficient room to new
user not having to messy stuff like fsck /blah blah
Debian is something I want to see on desktop but I can't just because there
is need to either document or make the support tools for simple things like
installing a sound card with knowing which particular modules to install.

I thin I have'nt seen many people who know which brand of sound card they
use. Autodetection would be even better. There is something called magic
conf which is interesting in this sceneraio but still is under development.

> >> How  do i  make Creative  Souncard the  default one....in  place of
> >> Onboard ?
>
> You can do this by disabling `onboard sound' via your BIOS setup.
>

> >> have not been able to find any MSN Messenger that can run on LINUX
>                                                                 ^^^^^
> You mean the GNU  system with Linux as its kernel ?  You will never be
> able to find a MSN Messenger port for GNU/Linux. There is this utility
> called as `CenterICQ', read the description below

MSN messenger is available for linux. But gatewaying through jabber for
messnger service would be better.