[Reader-list] about Gujarat

vidya shah vidyashah at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 25 11:22:32 IST 2002

   From:
        "shabnam hashmi" <shabhashmi at hotmail.com>
     To:
        shabhashmi at hotmail.com

Dear Friends,
I think quite a lot of us have been restless and wanting to do something for
the coming Gujarat elections . I
have also been trying to workout the possibilities of how I could utilise my
time effectively if I go to Gujarat .

I have ,to some extent, worked out a campaign, which I am very hopeful,
would not collapse before it takes off.

1. Leaflets: From 26th or 27th November each day till December 10 a new
leaflet would be printed . These would have a print
order of about 7-10 lakh each. The leaflets would tackle one topic each day
. They would be in Gujarati, will have some hard
facts and visuals. To be designed by  a professional designer. They would
each day be sent all over Gujarat to the nodal points
in each district from where the local teams would pick them up for
distribution. For this about 15 cars would leave Ahmedabad
everyday on different routes with volunteers.

For this a team of 7-10 people would meet every alternate day to work on the
content. Then it would be translated into
Gujarati and designed.

I have got a very positive response from three diferrent networks to help in
the distribution once the leaflets reach the nodal
points.

Where you can help?

a. Content: if you have any suggestions about issues to be raised and have
good data please send it to me. If you are very good
at writing, ready to slog for 15 days and are in Ahmedabad let me know.

b. Design- already a designer has taken  20 days off is coming to Gujarat-it
is taken care off.

c. Distribution network- So far there are four people including me -who will
be in Ahmedabad from November 22-till
December 15.

--We are looking for one or two very good organisers, who can again slog for
16-18 hours.

--Looking for about 25 volunteers.
15 to go with the taxis every morning to deliver the leaflets.It will mean
travelling a lot everyday. It will also mean some risk.

10 volunteers to look after insertion of the leaflets in the newspapers. It
will also mean some travelling out of Ahmedabad. Also
the newspaper insertions are done between 2am and 4 am. Volunteers -who can
sustain themselves preferably. ( We will try
and work out with local organisations if they can look after the stay and
food etc of the volunteers).

---Looking for volunteers for the village level distribution. They will need
to travel on their own to reach the district/ village and
then they will go with the teams of the Sarvodaya volunteers.

d. Printing- I have got some firm committments from local individuals to
look after the printing costs but the cost is huge . Any
organisation/ individual who can take the responsibility of printing one or
more leaflets would be very welcome.

It looks like that most of the printing would be taken care off, but we need
money for the distribution network. The total
amount required from Novembr 27-December would be approx 3 lakhs. Anyone
willing to contribute towards it is most
welcome.

2. We also plan to work on a series of posters for only a few constituencies
provided again if some firm committments come to
take care of the printing.

3. I feel there is a need in many constituencies to do door to door campaign
too. Any volunteers wanting to do that can also
contact me and we can then coordinate with local groups. I also feel it is
important to go to a large number of the Muslim
population for door to door campaign and to hold small/ big meetings with
them.

4. There would also be efforts to organise constant cultural programmes for
Peace. Local groups in Ahmedabad are already
doing a festival from December 3-6. Another festival is being organised in
Baroda in the first week of December. Depending
on who is ready to come we can help organise programmes/ press conferences
etc.

These are individual efforts and many friends are coming together to make it
work.
Father Cedric Prakash/ Director Prashant has offered full cooperation.

Any one wanting to donate money can send the drafts to Gujarat Education
Society/ Prashant or contact me. I will be in
Gujarat from 22nd till December 15th.

My numbers are 9810633765- this should in principle work in Gujarat too.The
Gujarat number is- 9824377162

This is a small effort and may and may not have a great impact but your
support can help in expanding the campaign.

I would be available from 22nd onwards on both the numbers. For anyone
wanting to join in, come and campaign do contact.
Please do remember that there is no organisation involved in it and so you
should be ready to support yourself.

BJP will not come back to power in Gujarat.

Shabnam