[Reader-list] My Mother India

sid luther siddharthaluther at rediffmail.com
Tue Nov 26 13:08:03 IST 2002

i frankly don’t care whether safina is australian or indian. it seems like a small insignificant detail. what troubles more is why the film was made. what is it that she wanted to communicate? we know of the 84 riots. we know of the gujarat riots. safina claims that what was happening in gujarat and kashmir kept her going back to the edit room
reinforcing her need and commitment to finish her narrative. But her narrative never explores the actual hatred of the 84 riots, the violence that scarred a community. except for scratching the surface and reopening what could be wounds that were healing 'my mother india' fails at most things.

'my mother india' looks at india with a voyeur camera. the shots of shimla where mr. and mrs. uberoi always disappeared look like romanticised shots looking at a india which has kitsch exotic value. the motif might have changed from the snake charmer and the serpent to the kitsch voluptuous calendars but the romanticism cannot be hidden.

social violence peppered with personal memory equals to pity seems to be a formula quite a few recent narratives have been adopting.