[Reader-list] Passwords

Bijoyini bijoyinic at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 8 00:00:26 IST 2002

In addition to just a word, some applications now have
the ability to accept passPHRASES (as opposed to
passWORDS). So you can type in a whole sentence
instead of just a word. It is harder to hack if you
think of all the permutions involved in hacking a
sentence instead of a word. Moreover, a password is
chose from a the set of symbols that include
alphabets, numbers and some special characters. This
set of symbols is small. A passphrase is selected from
the natural language dictionary that typically
comprises of 10 000 words to 500 000 words (for a
range of users). This set is larger than the set of
alphabets.

Some claim that it is also easier to remember "I l0ve
m0vies, f00tball, f00twear and gr00ve" (letter O
replaced by number zero) than "rt34fd0".

<https://mail.sarai.net/pipermail/reader-list/>