[Reader-list] Milkbar: Globalisation and the Everyday City

Craig Bellamy milkbar at milkbar.com.au
Mon Oct 14 11:50:08 IST 2002

Dear Sarai Readers,

I would like to introduce my project to you. It is a local oral-history
that speculatively tries to understand globalisation within an inner-city
Australian community. It is almost due for submission as part of a
Doctorate program here at RMIT University in Melbourne. Your comments are
most appreciated and I will try and enact on them if you have any major
suggestions.

www.milkbar.com.au

Milkbar.com.au: Globalisation and the Everyday City Creator Bellamy, Craig
Subject Humanities; History; Oral History; Local History; Melbourne, Fitzroy

Description This is a project that seeks to offer a speculative encounter
with the set of ideas called 'globalisation' through utilising some of the
new tools offered to researchers. Using a mini digital video camera, I have
recorded a number of people in the suburb of Fitzroy, an inner city suburb
of Melbourne, Australia. The creator has asked people what they identify
with in the suburb, how this has changed over time, and what they see as
negative or positive changes. Succinctly, the raison d'ĂȘtre of the project
is to create an oral history archive of the area in a period of rapid
change and to try and understand some of these changes within larger
analytical frameworks.

take care,

Craig