[Reader-list] Finally, they have grown up.

Jyotirmoy Chaudhuri jchaudhuri at mantraonline.com
Tue Oct 22 21:43:21 IST 2002

Yes, finally the Bengalis have grown up. Their dormant fascism finds it
perfect expression.

Jyoti

http://www.rediff.com/news/2002/oct/22bengal.htm

West Bengal plans I-cards for residents

M Chhaya in Kolkata

 The West Bengal government has decided to issue identity cards to
all its residents, around 80 million, in an attempt to stall illegal
migration from neighbouring Bangladesh.

Earlier, the government had plans to issue photo I-cards only to the
residents of 10 districts that border Bangladesh, Nepal and Bhutan.

According to an official in the state home ministry, the department is
'coordinating with the central government for logistical and financial
 support for the project', which is expected to start by the end of this
year.

  The official said the government decided to issue I-cards to all
residents as it 'realised that the immigrants were not restricting
themselves to specific districts'.

Apart from the census department, the state's health ministry will also be
included in the project as it maintains birth and death records.

It was, however, not clear if the state's endeavour will conflict with a
similar central government plan that was announced by Deputy Prime Minister
Lal Kishenchand Advani in Bhubaneswa last month.

The I-cards mooted by the state will bear the name, age, address,
educational qualification, and caste of a bona fide resident. The card could
be used to avail government benefits.

The Planning Commission has suggested a household survey, apart from
referring to the census figures, to draw up a list of bona fide residents.

West Bengal shares a 4,000km border with Bangladesh. Nearly 3,500 Indian
villagers reside in the no man's land or have their farmlands there. The
process of erecting a wire fence along the border has kicked up a row with
many villagers complaining of problems in accessing their homes, schools and
farms. The villages also allege  harassment at the hands of border guards.

Most of these disputed villages are in Nadia, Murshidabad, Malda, and Cooch
Behar districts.