[Reader-list] Salonika, end C19

Rana Dasgupta rana_dasgupta at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 26 16:03:41 IST 2002

The century was drawing to a close.  Stealthily the
West was creeping in, trying to lure the East with her
wonders.  Almost inaudible as yet was her whisper.
She dangled before our dazzled eyes the witchery of
her science and the miracle of her inventions.  We
caught a glimpse of her brilliance, and timidly
listened to the song of the siren.  Like country folk
at a banquet we felt humble and awkward in our ways.
But vaguely we sensed the coldness of her glitter and
the price of her wooing.  With uneasiness we gathered
tighter the folds of our homespun mantles around our
shoulders, enjoying their softness and warmth, and
finding them good.

- Leon Sciaky, Farewell to Salonika, 1946