[Reader-list] Software

Are Flagan areflagan at artpanorama.com
Tue Oct 29 09:43:16 IST 2002

I am posting to preliminary introduce a discussion around software that will
be held here on the Sarai reader-list for publication in the Sarai Reader
03. Over the course of the first three weeks in November, the intent is to
assemble a wide range of responses that broadly examine how the shaping of
software relates to the shaping of society.

The initial goals, laid out here merely as a possible progression of the
thread, are to examine what cultural and social biases are featured and
perpetuated by the dominant software packages and solutions; what critiques
are offered to these hegemonies by alternative, free, and open source
software; and what the most pressing concerns are with regards to the choice
of open source over proprietary software in matters of public life and
government.

I'll post a brief intro with some very pointed starting questions (actually
derived from a series of photographs of "work") by Monday next week, and
we'll see what unfolds from there. Once it's wrapped for the deadline, I'll
compile and proof the contributions before the Sarai editors and designers
make everyone look real good.

With specific reference to the proposed latter stages: I have followed
various debates on the official faith of Linux in India, and some of you may
be interested in (re)visiting what slashdotters, for example, have recently
had to say. (Slashdot is a technology website with the descriptive
subheading "news for nerds.") A brief list of related links is compiled
below; the slashdot sites also point to the articles that prompted the /.

I certainly look forward to an interesting exchange.

-af

+ + + + +

Linux finding a new role
http://www.dawn.com/events/infotech/it23.htm

Indian Govt. goes for free software

Why human rights requires free software
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2002/10/11/platform.html

(The Slashdot follow up to the above)

Indian Govt. chooses Linux for academia

Open IT: Govt. to rewrite source code in Linux
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/cms.dll/articleshow?artid=24598339

Pakistani Govt. may choose Linux instead of Windows
http://paknews.com/top.php?id=1&date1=2002-09-06

+ + + + +

India officially launches Simputer