[Reader-list] wall magazine 3 from cybermohalla at lnjp

Cybermohalla cybermohalla at sarai.net
Tue Sep 3 06:18:15 IST 2002

dear all,

this is the english translation of the third issue of the wall magazine,
ibarat (an inscription, a write-up), from the compughar at LNJP basti, Delhi,
one of the media labs that is part of the cybermohalla project at Sarai. as
you all know, ibarat is printed once every two months. It is pasted up in
almost 25 places in their neighbourhood.

this issue is about our trip to bombay, in january this year. a recollection
of, and reflection on our perception of work practices, of time, faces, and
space.

best
shveta

Ibarat 03
August 2002

A conversation

Aadaab.

"We're back". Remember the "Bombay Trip"? When our team, all packed, was
waiting to fulfil its dream of going to Bombay from the basti, there was on
the one hand the sadness of leaving behind our parents, and on the other the
immense happiness of going to Bombay. Do you know that before we got there,
we never thought that Bombay was not a city magical, but another city like
Delhi, albeit with its own markings. There, as in Delhi, people breathe,
children work to feed themselves, and women can also be seen working. Each
person is busy with her/his own work and we would never have got to know this
if we hadn't gone to Bombay.

Going there has given us some courage, in a way. Now we feel we are more open
to undertaking certain tasks by ourselves, individually. Many of our
misconceptions were done away with, like the one about how girls are sold
there, or that there is lumpen behaviour on the roads, that we would get
'spoilt' by going there.

The desire to go to a new place, there definitely was. But we never thought it
would be realised. Anyhow, how did we find roaming the streets of Bombay,
seeing the people there, thinking, reflecting, understanding, talking,
visiting different places... so, come with us, we'll take you to Bombay with
our writings.

The Journey > Delhi to Mumbai

When we got into the train at Old Delhi railway station, in our eyes were,
simultaneously, the faces of our parents and the image of Bombay, bedecked as
heaven would be. That, because we thought of Bombay as a city magical.
Perhaps without its shareof sadness? It's share of poverty? People who live
there probably know that uppermost in our minds was the image of the city as
a film city. As if film stars were going to reach the station to greet us!

The scenes from the train looked beautiful. Somewhere there were high
mountains, and it seemed a brown carpet was spread out. The shape of the
mountains, if we were to observe them, reflect an image of life itself.
Mostly, everything looked green. On the way we saw a field of marigold
flowers. And many trees on which names were written. It looked like the names
were coming out from the trees. Saw a brick house, the walls of which were
not cemented. Just bricks, one on top of the other. Inspite of that, the
house was not shaking.

Sitting in the train, we saw a number of stations. Like Baroda, Surat, Ratlam,
Thuriya etc. From the train, it seemed as if a lot of what we saw was
travelling with us, while lots kept getting left behind. By ten or eleven at
night, we were in our seats, lying down, trying to go to sleep. But we just
couldn't, because our hearts were eager to see the sights outside.

We spent a day and a night in the train. Enroute, we played a number of games.
So the time seemed to pass by without leaving behind a trace. We also ate all
kinds of things on different stations. Bhaiya was carrying all kinds of
snacks for us, which we ate all through the journey.

This train journey ended on  the morning of the sixth, at 4:30 a.m. at Bandra
station. It was still quite dark, and so the many lights that were lit,
Bombay looked like the city of our dreams. Outside the staion, some shops
were opening, some already had. We took a local train to Andheri from there
itself. There, we sat at the Ideal Restaurant and had our morning meal.

Haji Ali

At twelve in the afternoon, we reached Haji Ali. On the way to Haji Ali, we
first bought a chaadar (a sheet of offering) and some khil (puffed paddy). A
man with a black beard, wearing a cap was sitting there. On the way were also
some shops - some small, some large - and with them, crowds as well. It seemd
as if it were a special day. The small shops sold talismans (tabeez), caps,
sunglasses, frames, and much more. The path there was neither too broad, nor
too narrow. Women, children, the elderly could be seen begging. There were
many people, among them hindus, muslims, fisherfolk, foreigners.

Waves playing around the path to the dargah kept increasing. They seemed to be
reaching out to all the rocks and boulders there. We climbed the stairs and
entered. Inside, a qawaali was on. We listened to it for a while, then moved
towards the mazaar (shrine). Outside, at the entrance, there was a boy who
was putting to one side everyone's slippers and shoes. There on a board was
written, 'Pay whatever your heart deems fit. If harrassed for more, the
matter will reach the office.' We took off our footwear and went inside.
Then, into the room where the mazaar was. We all offered the chaadar, but it
was Suraj and Shamsher who went inside to spread it, because it's the men and
boys who do that; ladies pray for wish fulfilment. We all stood there itself
and did that, then went and sat outside. Nearby were some taps where some
elderly women were performing their ablutions. All of their attention was
focused on the water and the ablutions.

Haji Ali was surrounded by water. We set out towards the water. Where there
were big boulders and it was very windy. The way to the sea was rocky,
because of which our feet got bruised.  We had quite a lot of fun sitting
there. Then we saw that the path we had taken to get to where we were sitting
was quite filled up with water. Scared of falling, and at the same time
enjoying ourselves, we made our way through the water. While walking, we
heard al ot of people talk, and so got a sense of the many languages spoken
by the inhabitants of Bombay.

We got out and had juice. It was evening now, and Haji Ali looked even more
beautiful lit up. Then we got to know the story of Haji Ali. A man by the
name of Haji Ali went to Saudi Arabia for Haj. He died there. Before dying he
asked not to be buried, but for his body to be encased in a wooden casket and
that be let into water. And that was what was done. The casket made its way
to the sea, here, all the way to Bombay, where it stopped. His shrine was
made right here.

Juhu Beach

We had gone to Juhu Beach at night. As soon as we got there, we took a ride on
a ferris wheel. It was being operated by people who jumped and swung from one
radiating bar to the next to propel it. All the shops there had taken the
form of a restaurant. They were all lined up, and people from every shop were
saying, "Come here, the food is very good, you'll get anything you want."
Mats were spread on the sand by the stall owners. Which stall you were a
customer of depended on which mat you chose to sit on. We all sat on one mat.
A boy from the next shop came to us with a menu listed on a sheet of paper.
We were just going through the list when another boy from the shop right in
fromt of the mat came and told him to remove that piece of paper, that no one
would eat from it. The first boy remained quiet. The other boy showed us his
list. The owner of the stall from which the first boy had come called out to
him and asked him in Bambaiya hindi why he was standing there if we were not
going to eat. He went away. Almost all of us had pao bhaji.

It seemed there was a fair on at Juhu Beach. There was a lot of light. All the
shops were decorated with lights. We asked one of the people manning the
swings why they weren't powered by electricity. He said that was not allowed
there. We spoke to him about many things. On every ferris wheel, there were
three to four men, making it rotate. There was one man who had been operating
a wheel which had no people sitting in it. We felt he was very worried. When
we spoke with him he said, "I have many ferris wheels, and I also man a cart
during the day. Right now, at this time, no one comes for ride on the wheel.
When children see it moving, they come. Otherwise parents think it's out of
order."

Mud Island

On hearing the name "Mud Island', we conjured images of England, Switzerland
in our minds. On the way there we kept thinking there would be a clean
swimming pool there, the kind we often see in films. When we reached there,
we were left surprised. Because it was just like Juhu Chapatti, but cleaner.
There was the sea as far as we could see. The rocks in the water looked like
there was a crocodile, shining through the waves. When the waves rushed
towards us with speed, they brough with them many small things. Among them
would be shells of all kinds. The waves would leave them on the shore as if
they were entrusting the world with their treasures. And when they would come
back, they would carry these back with them.

There was no crowd here. We couldn't resist the water. Everyone took off their
shoes and went in. And we all bathed in it, for a long, long time. When the
sea water would find its way into our mouths, our mouths would become salty.

There were many boats in the sea. In them were women who had loaded the boats
with fish and were bringing them ashore. Two to three men were carrying away
sack loads of the sand from the shore. Two children were laughing, they
seemed rather excessively naughty. One was in a school uniform, and the other
in clothes one wears at home.

When some of us went to but some coconut water (we had to climb some steps for
this), the woman there got angry and started saying, "Baba re baba, why are
you coming here? If our employer sees you, he'll scold us. You go back down
now." (There hindi was Bambaiya hindi.) We said, give us our coconut water
first, then we'll go. We took the water and came back and sat down.

Chawpatti

We had gone to Chawpatti the very first day. We took off our shoes and put
them on a side and went inside the water. On the Chawpatti was a huge white
light that seemed to light up the whole island. And because of this light,
the colour of the water seemed to be changing. There was quite a crowd here.
Some people were sitting around with their families. Some were couples - a
boy and a girl sitting togehter. In one place, there was an old man, with two
young children. The children were collecting sand and making a house with it.
The old man was looking at them with love-filled eyes. It was night, so we
couldn;t see very far. Only lights from the houses in tall buildings, and
billboards that were lit up. There was a woman sitting next to us. She was
roasting ground nuts. She would collect sand from the ground and put it
inside the iron utensil which had fire lit under it, and then would put lots
of ground nuts in it. Everyone, all of us included, were sitting facing the
same direction - our faces were turned towards the sea.

Then bhaiya brought pao bhaji for all of us. We ate it while savouring the
waves, the cool breeze and sand. Before this we saw the sun setting. As it
set, its colour, and the colour of the sky around it changed. From yellow to
orange, then light pink, then dark pink, and then light red. It was the first
time we were witnessing a sunset.

The Aquarium

We bought ourselves tickets and went inside The Aquarium. Here too, there was
a big crowd. There were many school children, as also could be seen people
with their families. Here there were many kinds of fish. First we saw
inanimate objects that had been taken out of the sea. Some were the bodies of
of sea animals we had never seen before. When we moved ahead, we saw such a
beautiful fish that it filled our hearts with joy. While some people seemed
to be looking at the fish with great interest, others were just passing them
by cursorily. There were ladies and gents who were walking side by side, as
couples. Mostly, people were telling one another about the fish. We could
also hear some conversations between people which seemed to be just like
those of ruffians straight out of a Bombay movie.

We had been looking at the fish for a while now. The boys there also seemed to
be quite 'straight', there was no eveteasing of any sort. Our attention went
to the man who was checking tickets at the gate. His skin was dark, he had a
slight moustache, average height,. But his behavious was not pleasant.
Because he was not speaking properly with people. If someone tried to get
inside The Aquarium without showing him the ticket, he would start muttering
under his breath, and there was absolutely no sign of a smile on his face.
Slowly everyone came in through the door and so we could got out. On coming
out we saw written there, in big, bold letters, 'The Aquarium'.

The Fish Market

Fish markets are set up in Bombay also, where different types of fish are
sold. Only women can be seen selling fish here. We saw many kinds of faces in
the fish market. Some feelings and reflections got associated with the faces
we saw there. For instance, a face of joy, that of sorrow, a face that seemed
to be making a request, a face that looked quite, thoughtful, lost, a face
that seemed to hide what was in the heart. We saw many courageous women.

The fish market was stinking. Maybe they didn't think so, afterall selling
fish is their work. We could see fish of different types - glittering, black,
white, colourful, small, large. Some of their names are - prawns, shark fish,
wafer fish, etc. The fish were quite expensive. The women told us, "The men
catch the fish and all of us bring them here to sell them." Looking at the
women it seemed they manage things from the beginning to the end on their
own. The men's work gets hidden behind the efforts of the women. One can't
say, looking at them work, that the women need assistance of any kind.

All of their attention was focussed on either the fish, or the buyers. The
market was quite crowded. Many children were also selling fish there. Most
women had oiled their hair and tied a tight bun. They were wearing a saree
like a dhoti (a piece of cloth worn around the lower body, one end of which
passes between the legs and is tucked in behind). There wasn't a sign of fear
that could be spot in these women.

Gateway of India

All of us were very happy when we reached the Gsteway of India. There were
ships that we could see till a great distance and these looked very
beautiful. Some people were sitting in the ships and communicating with the
people they knew using gestures. There were also some shops there. Shops that
can be set up just about anywhere. People who had set their shops on the
ground were gesturing with their eyes to the passers-by to buy their wares.

We read the english words etched on the Gateway of India. They were about a
king and a queen.

Many pigeons were feeding on grain just in front of the Gateway of India. They
were very nice to look at. A slightly old woman was standing there looking at
them with great attention. She was smiling, a little, to herself. Maybe she
has some memories associated with the pigeons. She was dark of colour, had
white hair, short in height, was wearing black shoes and was holdign a black
purse like one would carry a baby.

Just like there is the India Gate in Delhi, there is the Gateway of India in
Bombay. But we thought the two quite different in that what India Gate has
etched on it are the names of people who sacrificed their lives in war and is
surrounded by huge lawns for playing, while the Gateway has on it the name of
some king and queen, and there are also some big ships in the water behind
it. We also got photographs clicked at the Gateway.

Just opposite it is the Taj hotel. In Delhi we had heard of the Taj hotel as
being very beautiful, but when we saw it with our own eyes, it didn't seem as
grand as all that talk had made it out to be. There were glasses that had
been placed in front of it, on which water flowed, and that looked very
beautiful.

Circus

We went to see the Jumbo circus on January 8. we reached there around 7:00 -
7:30 in the evening. From outside the cisrcus looked just like the one in
Delhi - the one that we see on the Red Fort grounds. There were some
photographs by way of glimpses to what would be seen inside. There were
photographs decorated with big lights inside as well.

There was a round stage for the performance of the show. That is just how it
is in Delhi as well. The stage, about two thirds of its circumference, was
surrounded by chairs. A little space was left for people to be able to move
in and out. We got in through the gate and sat down on the chairs in the rows
on the left, quite at the back so we were on a bit of an elevation. Once
seated, we began to have lots of fun watching the performances.

There were many wonderful programmes in the circus. For instance, a boy
performed some tricks with his hat, then three girls and three men displayed
their skills. One girl performed with many hula hoops, and then a much
younger girl repeated the acts, and this was truly wonderful. A boy and a
girl were swining from a rope and performed their routine on romantic songs.
This was followed by a comedy show. Three men entertained the audience by
performing dangerous feats on motor cycles in the 'well of death'. Some
elephants got together to pray to lord Shiva. The accompaniment of lights and
music made all the performances all the more entertaining.

In the very end, we saw a trapeze show which we really liked. On seeing the
performance we realised that there existed a relationship of fear between the
performers and the spectators, a relationship involving the skill of the
performers, and leading to the entertainement of the spectators.

Articles, photographs, design, layout by the Ibarat team at the Compughar,
Cybermohalla

Ibarat team: Azra Tabassum, Mehrunnisa, Shamsher Ali, Suraj Rai, Shahjehan,
Nilofer, Yashodha Singh, Bobby Khan, Babli Rai, Shahana Qureshi.

They can be contacted at compughar at sarai.net

Translation by shveta (shveta at sarai.net)

Cybermohalla is an experimental collaborative initiative between Ankur, a
Delhi based NGO and Sarai, for the creation of nodes of popular digital
culture in Delhi . The Compughar (Media Lab) is located in LNJP basti, a
working class settlement in Central Delhi.

Write to cybermohalla at sarai.net
About Cybermohalla: www.sarai.net