[Reader-list] Keeping women out of sight

Billu23 newsgroup at cyrilgupta.com
Tue Sep 24 22:48:34 IST 2002

I have been living in Delhi for the past six years. I am not trying to
ruffle any feathers but the fact is, Delhi is not exactly the friendliest
of towns.

I have found that the general attitude of Delhi-ites is that of hostility
and aggressiveness. Everyone here looks so insecure and angry about
something or the other. The fact is that much of Delhi's population is
paranoid and there's a complete lack of trust and communication among
residents. Coming from a small town like Bhopal where people were friendly
I've found this attitude hurting a lot.

But building special pathways for women, where they'll be out of the sight
of the men, this is beyond expectation. Who thought of this crazy idea? I
mean did that man/woman/person even think what's he implying? What was
he/she trying to do? Do a mass burqah-karan of the population?

Guards! indeed. In the city when the policemen themselves establish a lead
in harassing women (Recently 5 policemen in a car harassed some social
workers of Navjyoti an NGO who were travelling in a Maruti Van, they were
reprimanded because Navjyoti is promoted by Dr. Kiran Bedi),  the pathways
will probably provide a more secluded spot for the would be harassers and
rapists.

In my opinion, a better alternative would be to educate people. To
establish a sense of fraternity and belonging in Delhi-ites which is
missing right now. This would encourage public safety more than anything
else, because most crimes in Delhi are not committed by Delhi-ites but by
outsiders (Ghaziabad...). If Delhi-ites learn to help and protect each
other, nothing else would be required.

Let's not make special pathways for women please. It is absurd.