[Reader-list] Shahar Ke Nissan: Filling Colours in the City

sadan sadan at sarai.net
Tue Apr 8 02:37:20 IST 2003

Below is a posting of the field work done by Prabhas Ranjan.
“Filling Colours in the City”
Impressions:
“People do not seem to understand that without artists how colourless the
world would be!”
---Naresh Kumar Sagar
Calender/Poster artist and part time Painter, Shahdara, Delhi.
“They are not here to be an artist... actually there is too much of
unemployment in our country. And, this work gets on easily...”
---Badal Chitrakar alias Banwari Lal
Painter turned 'modern artist', Ghantaghar, Sabji mundi, Delhi.
“ Earlier when i entered into this trade I assumed that I would get an
artistic platform... But I found  none! There is not much difference between
us and a laborer.”
Dharam Pal/ Keshav Painter, Bhajanpura, Delhi.
(all these statements are translated)

We are working on the project titled 'Shahar Ke Nissan'. We are currently
looking at the bazaar of wall writings, sign boards and other forms of
advertisements that a city produces and which in turn generate images of the
city. Currently, we are interviewing painters / wall writers and other people
who are involved in this sector. Please keep in mind that we are not looking
at 'organised sector' of advertising business. We are working on local and
highly unorganised sector of image making. Without going into much details on
the contours of our subject area let me share with you the work done in the
last month.
During my field work, I have covered three areas: Shahdara, Bhajanpura and Old
Subji mundi. The people contacted are, writers/artists of signboards,
advertisers, painting shop owners, banner fitters, calender /poster artists
and few others who started their carriers as painters but who have become
advertisers and 'modern artists'. However, these are broad categories and
their movement within this work domain is highly fluid as evrybody
(irrespective of his status) is open to all types of jobs and opportunities.
Thus the distinction on the basis of their work appears to be blurred and
suggests that the logic of internal hierarchy should be located at somewhere
else.
The general picture that has come out of this field work has been of a decline
of this local market. It also fits well with the coming up of big players,
advancements of technology, globalisation etc. However, its too simple an
equation to accept and it is too early to pass any concluding remark.  I will
discuss about the complexities at some other time. For the time being let me
share some of the facets of  the evolution of  this  bazaar in Delhi from one
particular vantage point and as indicated by Badal Chitrakar of Ghanta ghar.
Badal Chitrakar originally belongs to Rewari. He was born in 1944.In Rewari
his father had  a business of caps('topis'). After 1947, he had to think anew
as muslims of his area migrated to Pakistan and his stature of a seth (big
businessman, the term used is 'sethpana') came to an end. His father came to
Delhi. Banwari Lal currently lives in Ghanta ghar, Sabjimundi.  Banwari Lal
is into the painting since his childhood.  At the age of sixteen years, he
joined the advertising shop of Mahendra Kumar in Daryagunj as a trainee
painter. Here he got an opportunity to visit Amritsar with his 'guru' where
he did his first assignment. It was an advertisement of Atlas Cycle.He has
done 'all sorts of works in this painting line'. From 1961 to 1965 he worked
as a 'painter'. In the period of 1965 to 1967 he made 400 covers for the
popularnovels('jasusi upanyas'). He has also worked as a calender artist. In
1977, he made a portrait of Mahatma Gandhi with his blood. The 'punishment'
that he received came in terms of his 'worldwide fame'. Gandhi Museum
organised an exhibition of his works. A lady became so impressed ('fida
hokar') that she took him to United States where he painted a gallery.These
days he also takes classes in Indian Fine Arts and Crafts Society(IFACS) and
is the art director there.
He recollects, “Earlier (in 1960s) there were five to seven artists in Delhi.
The art of painting film posters and calender painting was proliferating. The
artists were few so there were only a few chelas(trainee painters).” He
further recounts how the number has increased, “ actually, this work does not
need big investments. All you need is paint and brush. Get down somewhere
with them, paint  few nameplates or number plates and you would earn hundred
or two hundred rupees at the end of the day.”
Consequently, it attracted a large number of unemployed people in the trade.
The system of new recruitment and training is also open to one and all.
Dharampal, a young painter of Bhajanpura says, “ In our system, a new
probationary joins a painter's shop and learn writing and chitrakari(drawing)
for a year or two. After initial few months of work, he also gets a minimum
amount to take care of his basic needs.”
After a few months of training, the trainee learns writing sign boards and
banners. And now he may choose his independent course of work. Government
institutions are also there to teach this art. ITI shahadra is one such
institute. Dinesh, a painter /artist of Shahdara acquired the training at ITI
Shahdara. He says, They( painters ) learn writing in three -four months and
open their own shops. Actually it depends on the learning capacity of an
individual and also on the painter 'ustad'. A crual ustad teaches less and
keeps his chela engaged for a longer period of time.
A painter has often two to six chelas working with him. The number of chelas
also depends upon the volume of the work/assignments. Chelas play quite a
significant role in the income of his ustad/painter.  After acquiring the
skill and gaining the experience chelas may also join the same paint shop as
salaried painter. These chelas, promoted to the rank of salaried painters,
quite often run the shop and take care of business. The actual owner, now,
visits the shop only occasionally. However, in long run, these chelas may
turn up as competitors. This is how the sphere of this bazaar spends its
fulcrum. However, in current situation, we do not see the expansion of this
bazaar. Dharampal laments, “ Our rate is getting down. We do not understand
whether its due to our growing number or something else.”Think of technology
here.
The role of urban administration comes quite forcefully into the scene here.
The West Bengal Prevention of Defacement of Property Act, 1976( Bengal Act
21 of 1976) has been 'extended to the Union Territory of Delhi ( now the
National Territory of Delhi). The point number three of this rule states,
“(1) Whoever defaces any property in public view by writing or marking with
ink, chalk, paint or any other material, except for the purpose of indicating
the memo and address of the owner or occupier of such property, shall be
punishable with imprisonment for a term which may extend to six months or
with fine which may extend to one thousand rupees or with both”.
Delhi Government has come up with various publicity strategies to implement
and widen the scope of this hitherto minor rule. Newspaper advertisements of
Delhi Governmentwith a logo of Bhagidari scheme in the extreme corner of it
to 'educate' the citizens to 'keep the city clean' with a typical threatening
language of governance---'No  posters, stickers and writings on Walls'. This
writing on the wall is followed by the above mentioned paragraph of the rule.
The advertisement  further informs, “this is one more step towards making
Delhi a cleaner and better place to live in. We seek your cooperation.” A
small innocent looking icon is also there--–'my delhi, i care'. I am not
going to discuss the moral and the politics of this advertisement here. For
me, the concern of a painter is at the stake.
Dr. Ashok Kumar Walia, Urban Development Minister announces, “ During the last
fifteen months MCD(the Municipal Corporation of Delhi) has removed 45,300
posters and 25, 156 banners. 2802 person have been arrested and 1725 are
punished for wall writing, sticking posters, hanging banners etc.( The
Hindustan Times, Delhi, 9th March 2003)”. Kindly also think about thousands
of rupees went into bribe and exchanged hands between banner fitters and
policemen.
I will take a break here. The posting has already exceeded its normal length.
To be continued...
Comments and suggestions are invited.
Thanking you,
Prabhas Ranjan ( with Sadan Jha).