[Reader-list] can we have one too please?

Rana Dasgupta eye at ranadasgupta.com
Wed Apr 9 14:41:09 IST 2003

Jonathan Glover, in his "Humanity: A Moral History of the 20th Century" has
a category called the "Cold joke".  The cold joke is part of the vocabulary
of organised violence.

"Among the strongest expressions of lack of respect is the cold joke.
During the occupation of Kuwait, some Iraqis who had killed a boy told his
family they wanted money to pay for the bullet.  They could simply have
forced Kuwaitis at random to give them money.  The added cruel humour in
this demand is what makes it a cold joke."