[Reader-list] Introduction : mitra and the digital divide

mitra gusheh mitra28 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 14 02:57:50 IST 2003

Dear Sarai,

I am currently a fourth year design student in the process of doing my dissertation and final year design project.

Last year I developed a partnership project between our university and UNESCO where three students (including myself) spent third year working on an internet project in Nepal.  This project attempted to tackle the issue of the digital divide through community education and the integration of media (namely the integration of internet with community radio and community television).  This project was based on the pilot project that took place at Kothmale Community Radio Station - Sri Lanka, which many of you may be familiar with.

To say the least I was very much affected by this experience and so, have decided to base my final year project on the issue of the digital divide.  It is a big topic ... I know.... As a means of finding ground and also learning from the amazing minds that exist out there... I have set up a web site...

http://www.pol-bridgingthedivide.com

Loosely based on the idea of a blog .. the web side diarises the processing of my research... but it will hopefully act as a space for sharing resources and ideas.

I would really appreciate it any contributions and feedback
 mitra