[Reader-list] writing alternative Histories

sadan sadan at sarai.net
Thu Apr 17 02:47:12 IST 2003

Dear all, i have found an interesting discussion on alternative histories.
would like to share with you
sadan.

link
http://www.transforming.cultures.uts.edu.au/conferences/remembering/discussion1.html

Discussion  1: Event, Metaphor, Memory
w/ Shahid Amin, Fiona Nicoll, Michael McDaniel, Kim Mahood

?historical fieldwork: a dialogue at the present site of past actions?
Shahid Amin

history truth & uncertainty

Q: Can academia write moral uncertainty into history and memory in Australia?
or does moral uncertainty need to come from outside the academic structure in
Australia? Is there something in the structure of Australian academic
discourse that requires the production of moral certainties?

Shahid: I guess all I have to say is I don't know, right. [laughs] But I guess
another way of looking at it is ask whether today the only viable statements
that academics make are definitive statements, or whether academic history is
only, and can only be the truth of a certain kind of certainty. And if it's
not, then it is not academic history.

I guess what -- even if we keep the prefix out, just concentrate on
uncertainty of whatever sort -- economic, political, cultural, moral -- I
think there is some kind of a need for a rethink. Also when you connect the
production of academic writing to uncertainty, because you can produce
uncertainties without it being produced in the academe. Implied there is that
there is a certain play off between persuasion and proof that academics
normally deploy. Most academic writings are not only proof-based writings.
There is a certain amount of persuasion in that, and whether the kind of play
off between persuasion and proof changes as you raise questions whose answer
is not amenable in terms of the solid proof. ?Lord Curzon said this about
Indian peasants. And sent a telegram to the Secretary of State, and before
sending this telegram, the telegraph office said 'Clear the line, Viceroy's
message follows.' ?

So I think that what I take your question to imply is whether history writing
by academics can be persuasive, precisely because it now seeks to establish
new notions of proof which have to be adequate to the new questions that are
being asked. So that if you want to know about what the Indian soldiers who
were sent to the French front in the First World War felt like, you're most
probably not going to get their letters, because those letters were preserved
only for English soldiers in the Imperial War Museum. Because this is the big
thing about the First World War, and literary and other memory and literary
production. What you get is the report of a censor established in Flanders to
find out what these black Indian soldiers felt, and what we will then get is
not the letter with the censored portions of the letter. Now, that's all
you're going to get. And so that what these people actually wrote
successfully by-passing the censor is lost. So I guess these are some of the
issues that I can relate to. It goes back to my earlier point about the
evidence of the archive, which is always assembled for somebody other than
the historian. You know, this is purely a rhetorical sentence, when the
historian sits to write, because the state doesn't provide evidence for the
historian. The state provides evidence for other functionaries of the state.
And so that before the historian arrives, somebody else has already been on
the scene, to use that evidence and digest it. And the term digest, law
digest and so on, is a nice term, because the state function is to both
produce and digest the material. It's then, later on, that we follow the
tapeworms! Oh, the earthworms, sorry!

Top...

memory identity & oppression

Heather: The role of the historian?

Michael: The role of the historian? That's a big one, that's bigger than the
last one? This is about truth, isn't it? It's about truth and certainty. I
don't know that you can ever know that you've got it, I think the problem is,
the only problem is, in everything we talking about, you know, is that you
can't get certainty and truth. There are situations where you're more likely
to get it, and situations not. But then again, it's your political or
historical position that decides that you believe that this is more certain
than the other thing. I just sort of -- you know, you can go into an
Aboriginal community, you can go into a family, and people have got -- you
can go into a nation -- and people have got different versions of the truth.
They're different histories, different memories. It's not problematic. That's
history. It's not problematic. It's only problematic when you try to record
it and use it for a particular purpose. It's like if you're in the pub
telling a yarn, or you're at home round the kitchen table or doing something
or other, you scrape a few stories together, a few memories from here and
there, a little bit of this memory, a little bit of that, someone else's
story. That's the purpose at the table.

And you know, it's like putting things into a tool kit, and the tool kit that
you need to take to this particular job for this particular task. But if
certainty is one of the things you need in that box with that bunch of
stories, it's always going to be problematic. You're always going to be
sitting around saying, who's got the truth, who owns the truth. The trouble
is that institutions insist on -- particularly western institutions -- insist
and want the truth to be static and correct. And want to nail it down
forever. There's this constant pursuit for something that just can't be
nailed down. And I think that's it. That's the argument, and I don't know if
there's any answer for it. That's just simply what we're doing, trying to
talk about why do we change all the time? We change all the time cause it
changes all the time, and there's no certainty in it.

I would even question some of the most certain things that I've heard in my
life as ?truth?. I mean some of the things that I imagined in my life that
were absolute fundamental truths that underpinned my life, I now don't
believe at all. It is constantly changing. I'll tell you another funny little
story. All I can do is tell stories, right. You know, if you ask me who I am
now, I'll tell you I'm a Wiradjuri man and blah, blah, blah, and I come from
this long line of oppressed people, etcetera, etcetera. From central New
South Wales, and I can tell you all the government policies and etcetera. But
in fact I have to tell my Nan how oppressed she is and how oppressed she was
at the time, because she doesn't know. She was too busy being a Salvation
Army sergeant-major at the time, and raising nine kids on the edge of town.
Now, she didn't -- and I've got to tell her about this. She didn't know about
terra nullius either until I told her?

Q: what did she think of it?

Michael: She just didn't really care. And how when I was a kid, there was the
Captain Cook Bicentenary -- 1970 -- and we all raced up to the petrol station
and bought these cardboard Captain Cook hats. And we put them on, and Nan
took us up the street and we watched the float, the Endeavour float go by. It
sent fire crackers out this galvanised pipe at us! And we cheered and
clapped. Now, was I oppressed at that time? What's the truth of it? What's
the truth of it? I don't know. I know now I look at it differently, and
perhaps my children will look at my life differently. I can't pin the truth
down. In my life, so many things have changed. And I don't know if that
answers the question, but?

Shahid: ? There's a question about should writers of fiction be introducing
this element in the popular discourse, or should intellectuals who are not
academics be engendering it. I guess somewhere that's the point that is being
be raised.

Fiona: Yes, because there's an assumed burden of responsibility, particularly
at the present very polarised political moment, that you know, would make
this sort of ambivalent, and you know, partially contradictory realities of
life, difficult to express. But I mean I think that also, that makes it quite
difficult to say anything really, you know.

Q: I've got one that just follows on quite sort of directly from what you were
just saying. And I think it probably relates to what all of you have spoken
about today. Especially Shahid and some of your work, Kim. Just an idea that
-- well to start with, Shahid, you said that you still wanted to see yourself
as a historian, producing historical discourse, despite the fact that it has
come historically from 19th century, white -- it's been very much part of the
colonial program -- but that you still saw something valuable in that and saw
some purpose in that. And that the alternative histories that you've proposed
are there to challenge or to problematise that history of domination, that
single history which sort of speaks from the position of power and creates
the power which dominates people. And so I guess what I wanted to say was,
don't you find that there's a dialectic between, all right you can
problematise history by introducing all the uncertainties or the voices which
had previously been broken down, oppressed and not spoken, but by doing so,
the actual power of historical discourse, its ability to dominate, its
ability to give its speaker authority, is also broken down and is also
brought into question. And I guess in my mind I just have this image that, as
Michael spoke about, the state is asking the people seeking native title to
delimit on a map their area, even if they never understood their ownership or
their dwelling in the country that way. It's like your image of the fence,
beyond which nothing is changed, and on this side of it everything is subject
to change. In my mind, there are two sorts of history -- there's the
monumental history which y throws up the monuments to you know the colonial
dominator. There's the archive which is supposedly transparently representing
the truth of the matter, and then there's the history which is questioning
that, and introducing all of the actual, you know, uncertainties. One of
those seems to be the one that has the power, the other is always contesting
that. If that contestation was taken to its logical extreme, then there would
be no power. What do you see as the value of doing that?

Top...

politics and relativism

Shahid: In the talk and also in discussion, I've begun to categorise myself as
a practising historian. Somebody who just doesn?t do research, or has a
perspective but who tries to write things that are read by other people. And
I say that for two separate but interrelated reasons. One has to do with the
kind of work that I've done along with other people in this collective. And
there has been a tendency in India to some extent, and also outside, to
castigate all new ways of writing as writing which is alternative to history.
And therefore, is not only irresponsible, shows lack of identity, shall we
say, to the discipline. But merges into myth, whatever that is?. So there?s
nothing?.there?s absolute relativism and so on. And there has been a tendency
to say that Subaltern Studies has lost itself, as far as history's concerned.
They're no good. They may be doing something else, but they're not doing
history. And I want to have a rebuttal to that. First -- because I think
history, especially in India, is too important a resource, quote-unquote, for
it to go away. And in order to contest mainstream history which is seen to be
the only history, or in order to contest fabrication of particular pasts as
obvious counter to deracinated histories of people who are not responsible to
the aspirations of the Indian Hindu resurgence, one needs to say that, you
know, we can't -- at least in the Indian case perhaps, I'll stand corrected
over here ? I, the historian cannot just stand by and say, ?well my past is
as good or as bad as your history?. I'm not saying your past doesn't make
sense. But for it to be elevated to history, would need two things. First, we
go into absolute relativism. Who are you? You have got a PhD, I?ve got a PhD,
and your history?s as good or as bad, and that's what we are seeing in India
today. That there is an attempt consciously to do away with whatever
intellectual capital historians have. So that a kind of majoritarian view of
the past can very easily, say, lay claim to effective truth which could or
could not be historical truth, but that's the truth that now matters. And
that's why I want to stick my neck out and you know, spread myself all over
this circle that I am in, and say, well there is history and there is history
and there is -- alternative histories are not alternatives to history. They
are not necessarily written outside the profession. The profession is big
enough to have experiments going on within the professions, because this is a
very important issue and a very important battle. Not only in terms of our
colonial past, but in terms of how communities with different and conflicting
pasts are going to live in India today. Something that I'll be talking about
tomorrow. So I know that that, to some extent it does do away with the power
of historical discourse. It's an alternative principle, shall we say. That it
really grew up with the 19th century German historiography and so on and so
forth. But as I was saying earlier on, we should try and broaden the kind of
questions that historians can legitimately ask and give answers to. So that
is just -- that is a psychological question. That is the question for
indulgists. That is the question for the anthropologist. We say that well,
there is a whole sort of questions that can be asked of the past by
historians, who are inventing themselves, reinventing themselves. And this is
very important.

Top...

history as story telling

Q Without dissolving into storytelling?

Shahid: Well, all history is storytelling. That's why, just as all evidence is
all oral evidence. Short of when you?re writing a cheque or a bill or a
marriage contract, where the actual signature is the event, everything else
is a reported speech! When the police, you know, write the report, they are
hearing something that somebody else is telling them and writing it down. So
story telling, or the telling of stories perhaps, story telling is a way of
being, shall we say? as Benjamin says. But all histories are stories, but
that doesn't make it that any story is as good or as bad as the other one. I
mean I did talk a bit about this idea of the tellability of stories. Not only
whether you can tell them, spin them as stories, but that they have to be
supported with some kind of rules or evidence and so on. That's the
difference between me and a novelist and that's the difference between me and
an anthropologist. I can't just choose -- go into a village and say, ?oh this
is not the best type of village I wanted to study to work out the interface
between class and caste. I'll go to another one which will be ten miles from
a radio station, two miles from a petrol station, etcetera, etcetera, that
will enable me to find out how social change and global isolation is
affecting India?. The event is given to me. There is that kind of limitation.
And I then try and jump into it and say, ?well, let?s not just talk about the
event, which was a few hours of murder and mayhem. Let's talk about its
pre-history, which was one and half hours of peasants talking about Gandhi?.

Q I was interested, Fiona, when you were talking about, as part of your paper,
just sort of briefly mentioned -- I don't know if it was criticism, but a
comment at least -- on the role of historians, and in particular Henry
Reynolds and Peter Read, who have just recently taken a bit of a shift in
writing stuff -- Reynolds with 'Why Weren't We Told?' and Peter Read with
'Belonging' I think it's called. Moving into this kind of memoirs or
reflections, say, like an engagement with -- so that as historians the sort
of stuff they're reporting on, they've shifted towards looking at their own
subjectivity, or their own cultural shift and change in engagement with the
issues. And that's sort of become something that's part of the -- almost like
in a linear way -- part of the history as well. Their experience and
encounter with the material as historians, and their personal reflections on
that. So not necessarily a criticism of that, but it's an interesting thing
that's emerged. And it kind of, in a way, gels with the presentation that you
made, Kim, in thinking about memoirs and the struggling with ideas around
cultural identity and one's history and how you can re-engage with one's own
individual history. And I'd just be a little keen to know more about what
process you were thinking about in re-engaging with that personal history and
representing that now.

Fiona: One thing I noticed, particularly with Henry Reynolds, was there's a
shift from almost looking at Australian race relations from the outside,
counting casualties of frontier wars, to his role within it. Which I see as
part of a self reflection on whiteness. But I am also aware that it's the --
he doesn't really go into -- he says he's from Tasmania -- but he doesn?t
really go into like his family history there. And actually -- unfortunately I
didn't get to the end of that paper, because I was actually going to posit
white family histories as a -- as another way to get around that position of
the disembodied, unimplicated, white observer. So yeah -- which is a
different concern from the concern that Gillian Whitlock, who was discussing
both Read and Reynolds, brought up, and she was concerned -- which I felt was
quite a valid concern -- that you know, the baby was being thrown out with
the bath water in terms of what history as a discipline has learnt from
post-structuralist debates around textuality. Yeah, so I'll know throw that
to you.

Top...

art and memory

Kim: In terms of going back and looking at that place that I'd grown up in,
there were sort of two things going on. One, it was -- and as you would have
picked up from the artwork that I showed you -- there's a level at which I do
work very unconsciously. I have the privilege, in a sense, of being a visual
artist, which means that I've never made any money, so I don't have to worry
about leaving behind all these possessions that I've accumulated, and taking
off and pursuing these drives that, you know, to actually sort of follow this
thread wherever it takes. And I was at a point before I made the journey
back, that I realised I couldn't move anywhere in my own life without
actually going back and dealing with this stuff, which had become -- I mean
it's mythologised terrain anyway. You know, the ?outback?. This family that,
you know, and that we have stories, all sorts of stories about, you know, the
family that goes out into the wilderness and builds up a life out there.
There's lots of that kind of anecdotal history in Australian writing. And it
was just not holding for me, you know. And I needed to go back and find out
in a sense whatever was out there. And of course the other thing that had
happened, as I said, was that that particularly property had also become
Aboriginal land. So -- I had no idea what to expect. But I had some sense
though that what I was doing, that that story, what ultimately led me to
writing about it as well, was that it did engage with what were becoming the
big cultural debates in Australia. And that in my own way, maybe I could
contribute something by attempting to ?. register and clarify, as honestly as
I knew how, what that experience was about. So, at no point was I sort of
positioning myself as a voice of authority. We just actually had this
discussion about authority and voices in the group I was with. But -- I had a
sense from my own experience that all those contradictions -- some of the
things that Michael's talked about too -- are the reality of what we're
dealing with now. You know, that the classic mythologies don't hold any more.
And to go back to the previous questioner, I certainly had no particular
sense of trying to undermine the thing. It was already breaking down, it
wasn't holding. I had nothing to do with breaking it down. And I think that's
happening overall with those sort of big narratives, you know, they were
breaking down anyway. What people are doing now is trying to deal with that
breakdown, you know. And all these other stories are surfacing regardless. So
--- I guess -- yes, I went back, I made art work, I wrote a story and there
it is.

Q It follows directly on that question about how to use family. It was: how do
we remember the skeletons in our closets, the sort of embodied family
experiences, without repossessing the privilege of the white heterosexual
family? How do we in fact do that?

Top...

challenging white hetersexual histories

Fiona: I think -- and this came up in the group -- I think by taking on board
the consistent demand for reparations as a consequence of the recognition of
sovereignty, so that actually the acknowledgment of the family history,
rather than the amnesia is accompanied by an effort to redress the effects,
the gross imbalances in you know, living standards, and resource ownerships
between the indigenous and the white immigrants to this place who've directly
benefited. My -- I'm not sure how the state is going to do that, because -- I
mean Michael pointed out, you know, the ridiculous ironies that have grown
out of native title, which was presented during the Keating era as one means
for redress anyway, particularly through the Indigenous Land Corporation. I
think -- to me that's where I'm at. The reconciliation state-sponsored
process has come to an end. It's like who is going to do it? And what do
white citizens do in a situation where the state is not moving towards
recognition and repatriation?

Top...

writing lightly

Q You talked about that in alternative histories, you can't always rely on the
fact that the reader's going to be familiar with the story or the area that
you're dealing with. And then you went you went on to say -- and I'm not sure
exactly -- you know, you said something like we need to overcome the details
of the unfamiliar -- I assume that if -- and then you said -- which may choke
the narration. What sort of interests me is this, you seem to have done it in
your book. I mean I read it and I didn't know hardly anything about Indian
history, but you've used certain approaches where I could get into it. It
wasn't a problem, and I just wanted to hear really some of the approaches,
problems you had in that sort of writing.

Shahid: There are a couple of things that I did. First, I researched it for 14
years intermittently. To say that I worked on it for 14 years, it suggests
that I really think you can?t really produce a book in 14 years. I?ll retire
if I take that long for my second book by the time it comes out. But you
know, so that in some ways I made a conscious decision that I'll try and
write about this event, which was almost a phrase, you know. There's this
violence that takes place in 1922 in the name of Mahatma Gandhi, and cannot
really be written as a sentence, because the subject of the sentence has to
be Mahatma Gandhi, who obviously is against this violence. So this violence,
this strain of violence has to be a phrase, after which you put a comma, and
say ??. which made Mahatma Gandhi call the whole thing off?.

So the challenge that I faced was it would have been much easier in some ways,
but less exciting, to do a critique of the way this has been triggered. But
you know, if you want to take this seriously then you must really write a
narrative where not even a sentence existed. And therefore the narrative
challenges were very great. Which was possible, not by discovering some kind
of style, but having so much detail that you could write lightly. So that
writing lightly comes from a tremendous amount of material that you have. If
you have less material, then your writing tends to be stodgy as a historian.
So that was the first thing.

Top...

memory as ?voice over? to authority

And the second idea was -- which many historians have done, Portelli does it
for example -- and in a way, it goes against the way we have been trained as
historians -- that you know, a fact is not exhausted by its first or second
use. It can keep coming back again and again. And you can deploy it in ways.
If you go to a small town in India and you ask for the local newspaper, they
won't show it to you, because they say that only one piece has been written
on that newspaper and the son and grandson of that newspaper is going to do
it, So that's like saying, ?Ah, you?re writing a book on India? Oh but there
was another book on India! ?? But that's the way historians work. So that,
you know, ?Oh, you worked on sugar cane, there has been a thesis on sugar
cane. How can you write another one?? Which, translated to the level of fact,
you know, ?You?ve used it once, now get me another one!? But you can bring
that over and over again, which also means that you know, you don't move from
one monumental demonstration of historical facticity to another. There is a
certain excess that is there in the way you describe things and then you are
able to get that back again and bring it again in another context.

What I found most liberating and enabling when I sat down to write, was this
experience of what I call historical fieldwork. That is, that I march
outwards from the archive. I only know my respondents as relatives of the
writers, as a policeman would have known. And then we have an unequal
exchange because all the state?s markers are there and so on. But I dialogue.
Where I don't just say, ?oh how interesting?. Because I already know what is
the official version. So the interest is not what is novel. How the novel
plays on what is known. And because you know, the memories, in order to be
?authentic? memories, can't be complete variance with what was the truth as
established in the court of law. Because what happened in the court of law
was literally, as I say, a matter of life and death for them. So you keep
getting these voices or voice-overs, shall we say, on what is officially
known. And that then allowed me the freedom to decide when I'm going to
relate one element of the story after which previous ones. So the memory then
didn't figure as something that is opposed to fact. Memory or recall is a
kind of a take on what is known and the gap between the two opens up the
space for the next chapter.

So when, what gets told after which chapter is in terms of the reader having
been brought to a situation where they say ?Well, this is what the quote
said, but why is this guy saying this? But others saying ?Oh, this guy
obviously has forgotten what the quote said, after all we are dealing with
memories?. Of course, that's true. He has ?forgotten? in the sense that he
is, or she is, not reproducing that exact figure. But that creates an opening
for telling another story also in terms of why is it that that fact gets
recalled in a particular way. So that was very, very enabling for me, because
I could then slash and cut whatever I had to tell in terms of the problems
that the reader himself or herself had encountered at the end of a small
chapter. So the question that then arose was anticipated, and would then be
worked out in the next chapter. That's the way I did it.

And also purely stylistically I tried to make the book easy in the sense that
-- and difficult at the same time -- because there's a lot of speech which is
in a dialect, which an average Hindi reader will not fully understand. But
there are no footnotes, I didn't want the readers' ascent to be a forward
downward movement, ?Oh, which sentence did you got it from sort of thing?. ?.
I put a lot of research back. If you don?t believe me, you know, spend some
time and go through that. So I didn't want to have footnotes. I didn't want
to have a glossary. And these are ways in which I felt I was trying to get
the permission to narrate from the reader and go forward.

Top...

alternative histories from within the discipline

The rest is a product of a first rate colonial archive in India, that exists
and that the Brits created for us. Now I'm not joking. You need a tremendous
amount of material to write. It's not just the will of the historian to write
a new narrative, because that's the difference. There has to be that huge
amount of stuff that you can now refigure and retell in new ways. There is no
-- and that's why I'm talking about people writing alternative histories from
within the discipline. You can write some very interesting things about the
past. But that to my mind is not to do history. Not because it doesn't
measure up to a kind of diplomatic notion of real truth but because you know,
it is based on things which are not from the ?archive? in the proper sense of
the term.

Top...

oral evidence & the subaltern

Q Shahid, what is the status of oral evidence in relation to the subaltern?
And related to that, how do you integrate oral sources into your written
text?

Shahid: When I talked about everything is oral then I was referring to, to my
mind one of the best historians of oral history, Alessandro Portelli, has got
a book called The Death of Luigi Trastulli and other essays. Let me put it
this way, before the historian reaches the historical event, which implicates
peasants say, with the powers of the state. There already is a way in which
testimony has been reworked by the judge or by the magistrate and so on. So
that if that is the case, as I believe it to be, then I found it absolutely
imperative for myself not to jump straight into the field without having
mastered the archive. Because I could have said, ?well these guys might die,
it will take me three years to get through all this documentation, let me
first go and find out what they feel?. Because I think that is being
dishonest as an historian. Because you're just turning up and you're not
really implicating yourself, not purely morally but in terms of what you
could really know for a dialogue to be established. It will just purely
information gathering. ?All right, tell me what happened?? And you have no
idea really what happened. So what sort of a dialogue are you going to have?
So I wanted -- more so, as I said, since what they are going to remember is
in terms of what was officially recorded as well. So that, so I had the field
work right at the end. I tried to plough through the judicial evidence and so
on and so forth. And then -- I'd not planned it like that. When I went to the
villages, I realised that they were quite interested actually in the amount
of information I already had on them. And the conversation then became a
dialogue with all the differences that marked me from them. And therefore, I
was not really producing a kind of oral history which gets produced because
there's absence of record, you know. So that's first.

Top...

history as dialogue

And that really also leads to the second question about how do you integrate
oral history? It depends on the kind of question one is trying to address and
write about. There might be instances where there are absolutely no written
records, in which case I'll have to think about it in a new way. Or the term
oral history itself might be too much of a blanket term. If I interview a
performer and also record his songs, as I've done for the next project, is
oral history a good enough term to encompass that. Though, you know, it is
what I write as a historian will be a result of transcribing in what I hear.
So these are some of the issues that I've tried to tackle in my book. And
that's why I tried to write this term historical fieldwork. You know, it
plays on this anthropological notion of fieldwork. But by historical I mean
not just by a card-carrying historian, but fieldwork which is based on a
dialogue which comes out of the historians marching outward from the archive.
So I call it somewhere in the book ?a dialogue at the present site of past
actions?. And I'm trying to play with this notion of dialogue so as to do
away with, you know, people tell different stories to different people. Of
course they do. And one way in which the dialogue of a historian gets useful
for the historian is that it's not any elite knowing the dialect, talking to
any peasant of the area about an event that many people remember differently.
I do that to some extent. But you know, there are ways in which you narrow it
down. I say somewhere in the book, you know, echoing Marx, that the
subordinates make their own memories, but not as they please.

Discussion 2: Writing Alternative Histories
w/ Shahid Amin, Suvendrini Perera, Andrew Jakubowicz, Devleena Ghosh, Heather
Goodall
?There?s no point going back to old certainties ? you have to do a new kind of
history which gets into the question of memory, forgetfulness, constructions
of the past, which are not the questions that proper historians anywhere had
asked until very recently??.? Shahid Amin

Narrative and new media writing

Q In terms of the use of the multimedia form for the Shanghai project, how did
the process come about? Was it informed as much by what goes on during your
studies, or did you have a good idea at the beginning? Or did you have a good
idea at the beginning?

Andrew: Well, what you saw there is just a PowerPoint, so it's just a sort of
assembly of bits and pieces of stuff. The multimedia project itself went
though a number of iterations and the critical thing was trying to find a
metaphor to hold it together, so that we had a narrative structure that was
both open enough to be accessible to a lot of different sorts of users,
audiences, and theoretically sophisticated enough not to trivialise the whole
thing. And there was a totally serendipitous element which was the discovery
of the menorah. Because that gave us the metaphor. And what we've essentially
done in structuring the web site is to raise the queries about how was it
that this menorah came to be in Shanghai in the year 2000. And the opening,
basically the opening sequence of the website is an entry into Shanghai
through a spinning menorah. And it ends up with the menorah flickering and
you can then run your cursor over the lights. And each light takes you into a
different family. And each family is then evocative of one of those
particular dimensions. And sitting behind the whole thing is a research
database. So that database is actually a very rich source of additional
material. So for instance, there's a map, a book map of Shanghai in the
thirties, all those databases that we identified -- the Sukahara list, the
Polish Consulate list, the Hong Qu police list, is all there. So for
instance, if you actually wanted to go in and find out, you know, what the
profile of Russians living in Hong Qu in 1943 looked like, you can go in
either directly off the research front of it, or in through the Russian
families.

Q: ? and for it being in a web form?

Andrew: The reason for it being on line is that you can just go in deeper and
deeper and deeper. So in a number of cases, the families have given us access
to photographic albums. And you can actually go into the photographic album
and go through their memorabilia. There's a whole variety of stuff. So
there's the actual photographs, then there's a whole series of artefacts and
things. Documents, passes, stamps, letters, postcards, which together form
both a research archive for people who want to know more about it, but also
form elements in a narrative which sits at the front. So that's the idea. And
because it's a website it's -- as I keep telling the designer I'm working
with -- this is an unending opportunity, you know. You can retire on this.

Top...

putting silence on the record

Q from Fiona Nicol: This is for the entire panel potentially. How do we put
silence on the historical record, not as an absence or a gap to be filled,
but how do we register the active silences? And also, how do we register in
histories, different types or tones of voices? Like whingeing, or nagging?

Suvendrini: Maybe this is actually something I wanted to ask Devleena in terms
of her work, so maybe this can come up with her. I was wondering about when
you speak to people as an Indian from India, working on Fiji and talking to
Fijian Indians, what are the politics of that, and are there ever refusals to
speak or hesitations? Or do you feel that when people speak to you they edit
what they're saying because you're an Indian from India? So I suppose how do
you put silence on the register, I think that you have to respect also like
silences that people want to keep. And this is something that I've only
thought about today when Ann was talking about post-traumatic stress
disorder, in terms of migrants. And this is something that I've written about
actually, about migrants of say my mother's generation, who refuse to talk
about certain experiences, and I think I've been guilty of misinterpreting
this refusal sometimes, because I've written about it as a complicity with
narratives of assimilation. And I've now been thinking about that, and
perhaps it deserves a more complex treatment. So you know, that sort of
silence can be also refusal and a very powerful form of speech.

Devleena: Yes, I have actually done some work on this issue of my own position
in this project. And to say of course that being an Indian from India both
gives me some -- a leeway, it gives me a foothold. And because I can
understand Fiji Hindi, it enables me also to speak in that. But of course it
also sort of places me in a particular way. And in some ways it gives me some
advantages that say a total non-Indian -- I mean however you would put it --
would have. And some disadvantages that a total non-Indian would not have.

Because I think in the paper that was in the reader, some of these issues come
up. Because the conflicts between the south Asian Indian and the indo-Fijian
communities, I mention over there. You know, the issues around authenticity,
legitimacy, a whole range of issues to do with sort of background and caste
and of religion. So that places me also in a certain way. But what I actually
found was, not only the editing and the silence, which of course happens, but
also kind of mediation. So when I would speak to people, they would often say
something to somebody else to tell me. So that in a sense that issue of I
suppose whether you'd call it trust or whatever, I mean they can trust their
friends to tell me something, or whoever it is they choose, whether it's a
relative or so on, that mediated experience, which would come to me from
somebody else who is seen as a friend of mine and could be trusted by that
person. You know, so that I would not make the mistake that I might make by
connecting with them directly in some ways. So that was one of the ways,
especially with older people, that was very much a way in which they related
to me.

And secondly, yes, there were a lot of silences. I mean there were a lot of
silences, for example, around all sorts of issues about sexuality, especially
in relation to the Fijian community, where basically it was a way of
retaining a certain level of sort of autonomy and a certain level of
independence, which I completely respected. I think that my position as an
Indian from India has really been complicated and difficult. It's also been
very rewarding, because in a sense it's enabled spaces to open up that would
not have otherwise opened up. And it's also closed off spaces, which perhaps
would not have been closed. But you know, I just work with that.

Top...

fragile interview dialogue

Shahid: I guess I could begin by rephrasing that question slightly, and say,
you know, when does the outsider, the historian, the investigator, decide to
deny herself or himself the opportunity to ask another question. I think
that's the other side of what you're asking us. Because these are very -- and
that takes me to the idea that I was trying to suggest of a dialogue -- that
without the other person being silent, the dialogue which is going on gives
you the signal, that you refuse then to ask a question that might produce a
silence. And I have -- because so that you realise that incidentally, without
it having been narrativised, something has been said which, if you broach it
further, would then amount to asking a question which you would not like
somebody else to ask of you. So I think at several places I, when I was
interviewing for my book, I had the ?risk? of not getting more information, I
decided not to ask the next question, precisely because I'd got some hint of
an information which was otherwise very important to me, which I could build
on, but a further asking of a question would have then led to the end of that
conversation or dialogue. So that it's a much more fragile relationship where
the dialogue is very important. It's not you pressing, and silence then being
the result, but you being yourself silenced. I think that is what field
workers and people who interview should also consider, because that's only
then that the basic asymmetry that exists in any kind of interview is then
rewardingly calibrated. Where you recognise, just as you recognise as a
historian, that the archives are not created for you, that there are gaps
that you can't do anything about, just because the other person is in flesh
and blood, you can't squeeze the last bit of information, because after all,
what you're doing is not interviewing in a purely fact finding thing, you are
creating a dialogue. That's what I found, and there are many indicators that
I tried to give of this in my book. I even narrativise it and then when this
woman says this, I say, and then I could hear the historian mumbling, 'What
else do I ask?' Because actually I do that on the tape. And because she says,
'What else can I tell you?' saying that look -- and she said 'How much more
can I narrate?' And I say, 'Well, what do I ask her?' That's my silenced
being verbalised. That's what I take that question to be.

Andrew: There's a book that a colleague of mine, a linguist, has just
published, called Silence, published by Allen & Unwin, and it's an
exploration with a group of children of not only, but mainly children of
holocaust survivors, about how their parents told them about what happened.
And it's a very evocative account of the many different ways silence exists
in relationships. And I found it very, very interesting, because it's --
there's all those sorts of things that people have talked about, but then
there's the silence of spaces that are just out of bounds. There's the
silence of I want you to push harder. You have to push harder, because unless
you push harder I don't believe you really care. There's the silences of this
is too painful, we don't want to go there. There's the silence of ?I tried to
speak this 50 years ago and nobody would listen, why are you asking now?? So
there's all sorts of elements to that. And I found that an extremely
interesting book.The final chapter actually deals with a whole series of
people whose parents had various traumatic or strange things happening and
about how they had conversations with them over the years.

Devleena: I was just going to say one last thing, and this reminded me of just
one little family history thing, which is when my father died a few years
ago, we found amongst his papers an advertisement looking for a Burmese
woman. Our father had been in Rangoon during the war and had escaped
overland, you know, when the Japanese came in. And what was of interest to me
is not only his completely silence; we don't know who this Burmese woman was,
whether it was, you know, a daughter, a lover, a wife. I mean there's no
indication. But his complete silence about this person who had been so
important that he had, for three years, constantly put these advertisements,
you know, every month in the paper. It was quite expensive, and he didn't
have much money. But I think Fiona, what your question reminded me of, is
what we really wanted to know is did our mother know? How do we ask our
mother whether she knew about this woman? How do we ask our mother, who is
this woman? Is it a daughter, a lover, a wife. And we, all of us sisters, you
know, skated around the question trying to find ways to ask our mother
without asking her. And it was a really fascinating exercise, which just
really picks up on what Shahid is saying about, you know, how do you ask the
question that you can't actually ask. And I think that's with the indo-Fijian
community, I think that comes up again and again -- how do you ask the
question that you can't really ask? And I still don't know who the Burmese
woman was. Probably never find out.

Top...

silences and public responsibilities

Heather: There's been quite a lot of work on people remembering trauma, for
example, and memory. Like Louisa Passerini, thinking about the memories of
Italians about their experience under fascism. And there are things which
become apparent when you interview a number of people, that there are
patterns of silences, and her work is largely about an exploration of why it
was that Italian workers were silenced about fascism. This was a situation in
which many workers who had strong political convictions against fascism were
unable to come to terms with their own complicity or their own need to take
part in a state and a set of labour relations which were organised under
fascism. So it was simply too difficult to narrate that story, and so it is
just left out of people's otherwise chronological accounts of their life
stories. And there's some very interesting work also from Nazi Germany as
well. As well as in relation to indigenous people and memory.

The point I wanted to raise was that -- in those personal relationships which
are often really challenging, where you are speaking with someone about their
memories, you have to make those decisions that Shahid has talked about at
various points. But overall, this raises, I think, a question about the
responsibilities of the historian or the analyst, whatever label you use, as
a public intellectual, as an actor in the public arena. Because many of these
silences as Suvendi has suggested allow a dominant narrative which is in
contradiction to continue to circulate, as if it were unchallenged. So what
role does the analyst have, having recognised that area of silence? This is
not about pursuing people's memories which they don't wish to speak about, or
about revealing individual memories, or pressuring people, but it's a
question of the responsibility to indicate and express and perhaps explain or
speculate about -- certainly indicate the presence of that silence, and ask
in general, ask the public sphere, why that silence is there, and explore the
reasons. And it seems to me that that's one of the other ways in which the
issue that Shahid has raised, about the responsibilities of analysts or
historians to take an active role. It is not only our role to facilitate the
expression of individual testimony, we've also got a job which is analysis,
which requires intense thought about the way people tell their stories, not
just the detailed content -- and silence is very much a part of the way
people tell their stories.

Top...

writing questions into the telling

Shahid: I just wanted to share with you and others that I revised my
manuscript, which I actually finished in Berlin, with Louisa Passerini as a
fellow of the same institution and I actually wrote a chapter which I've
called ?Towards Conclusion?, precisely to answer all the queries that she had
to put to the manuscript. So that there was a way in which after I thought
I'd finished and I had given this to a non-Indian reader, the questions that
she asked, I thought I'll not put it as conclusion, but ?towards conclusion?.
So I just wanted to share that with you, and also to thank you all for giving
me this opportunity of presenting whatever I have from my very specialised
reading of a very specialised set of events to audiences which are not Indian
so as to take on their questions as a part of my story. So that's another bit
of juggling that I do. That what I then write I make questions arise out of
my own telling which are really other people's questions that were posed to
me as questions coming from the outside, which I then incorporate as if they
are emerging from within my own text, which hopefully then makes the text
easily, slightly more easier for those same people, or other people to read.
So I just wanted to share that with you.

Top...

secular/sectarian/multicultural

Q I was interested in something that Shahid said, and I think it may tie up
with the Australian situation. You talk about two strands in the Indian
historiography ? One was the secular national and one was the sectarian
Hindi. And one was based loosely on based homogeneity, and the other one
based on conflict and blaming the other ? ? [inaudible] .. And I?d like to
suggest that there may be a broad tie-up with the Australian context of
multiculturalism on the one side, which is part of, sort of a new nationalism
which is a consensual, harmonious sort of idea of ethnic relations within the
country ? and Hanson?s which is exclusionist and based on racial analysis. A
couple of questions there. One is the sectarian .. whether it predates the
19th century type of essentialism which you mentioned, the Hindu nationalist
idea of the Hindu as the ?natural? citizen of India. And if you translate
that to Australia, who?s the ?natural? citizen of Australia? ? And then
secondly, If you accept difference with the present, how do you relate
politics of the past ?.. and can we go past the consensual view of the past?
Because this debate exists in Australia and obviously it exists in India?

Shahid: It doesn't exist in historiography because the standard response of
the secular nationalists is, ?they were not the kind of people that we are?.
In fact that ?we have nothing to do with them?. While, you know, in a way the
Hindu sectarian will say, ?Shahid Amin, that's your name. Your name speaks
your history?. And I'll say, ?am I that name?? shall I say. So, you know, but
yeah, I really appreciate what you say. And that's why when I was reading the
last portion I qualified it by saying I really don't know how this will work
out in Australia. When you talk about ?who is the natural citizen here?? It's
quite clear who the original inhabitants -- even if they're not property
owners -- are. But who the natural citizens of the nation state, you can be a
citizen only of a nation state. You can't be a citizen of a space. So that I
think -- correct me if I'm wrong -- that one would have to begin with the
notion of whiteness and it?s tie up with the idea of a national citizenry in
Australia and see how one complicates that, I guess.

Suvendrini: Well, the obvious thing that when we were federated, when
Australia federated in 1901, the indigenous inhabitants of this country were
included by exclusion in the constitution of 1901. So those questions of
citizenship and the native, who's the native, who's the alien, all those
things are very complicated. I just have a question about whether we can
actually, whether that narrative of the sectarian and the secular, can
actually be productively for us translated into this opposition between the
Hansonist and what you call the consensual multiculturalist. And I would say
no, because I can see a lot of -- I'm going to get into big trouble now --
but I can see a lot of points of convergence between the official narrative
of multiculturalism, which I see as a continuation rather than a rupture from
assimilation, and the sort of assimilationism of Hansonism. So I'm sort of at
a loss about doing that translation.

Shahid: You say that quite clearly in one of your articles.

Q In a sense it does relate to the issue that Shahid described, the same
problems with the idea of national unity and of secular unity post-47 in
India.. That simplified notion of inclusiveness is the same.. the problems
with both are the same..

Shahid: Yes, so I am really saying that this kind of a view, the sectarian
Hindu nationalism doesn't arise suddenly from nowhere in the 1980s. It was a
moving of a fringe that was always there into the centre, from the margin to
the centre of the political discourse. So that's always there, as even
something that's part of a cultural base, or natural base, of nationalism as
well to some extent.

Andrew: I don't know if I necessarily agree with Suvendi's reading of
multiculturalism. I think I'd agree that the current -- the so called
Australian multiculturalism, which is the contemporary government ideology,
definitely fits within a sort of developmental trajectory from the
assimilationist White Australia period, because it's still very heavily based
around notions of core values, which are fairly much unchanged. You know, so
you can be any colour you like, as long as your values are Australian. And
then you unpack what that might mean, etcetera. And it leaves totally
untested the issue of the place of indigenous people in the Australian value
structures. But I think that the issue about where the fault lines run in
Australian consciousness are actually much more difficult to unpack than they
might be in an environment where you have two blocks in a sense with long
histories of confrontation. That the Australian, that the, if you like, the
colonial settler society in Australia is still very early and fragile as an
imposition on the landscape compared with I think the history of a country
like India, which goes back solidly into the sort of heart rock of the
country for so many, well thousands of years. And I think that issue is a
really interesting one.

And I'm reminded of it -- I remember once talking to an Indonesian scholar, we
were debating issues about whether you could compare Australia and Indonesia.
And he said, well initially he thought not, but then he thought well actually
if you think of all societies as being essentially entropic. That is, that
all societies have a tendency to fragment and dissolve and energy has to be
put in, cultural energy has to be constantly invested in maintaining whatever
it is, or sustaining or changing, then the issue fundamentally is who gets to
write the scripts about where the energy is going to go? And I think the
Australian contest is actually not as clearly cut as one might like. Again, I
don't necessarily agree with someone like Ghassan Hage about the notion of
whiteness per se, particularly having started work on the Chinese, on work in
China, the notion of the Han Chinese as a sort of factional, fictional
factional creation, which is far more impelling and far more, far less
self-consciously self questioning than whiteness in Australia, actually
raises for me some really quite significant questions about how useful the
simple dichotomies in Australian models are.

Top...

the recalcitrant event

Q Shahid, I wanted to say how useful your notion of alternative history has
been for me ? I?m presently studying the alternative media of Central
American liberation studies. I suppose you'd call it the guerilla media
systems of El Salvador and Nicaragua. And your notion -- well especially your
session this morning with the warrior martyr, triggered off my thoughts about
the Nicaraguan experience where the figure of Sandino, who gave his name to
the Sandinista revolution, it was really -- he was written out of Nicaraguan
history given the time of the Somoza dynasty. When the Nicaraguans have
started remembering why he was forgotten it created a consciousness, a nexus
of consciousness I suppose, around which the movement was mobilised. And
interestingly enough, when I left Nicaragua in 1990, the process of writing
him out of history again had begun. The murals, the graffiti, everything. It
was the first thing the new government did was to erase; burn the textbooks,
the whole thing. And I've just read a paper where someone who's been there
recently said it's almost totally erased. Now my question is when these
historical contradictions or disjunctions or polarities or recalcitrant
events arise -- I think my example of Nicaragua's probably an example of a
conflictive history -- once identified, what happens to it? What do we do
with it? What does an historian do with it? And there's another question
spinning off from that, but I'd be happy if you could just answer that one.

Shahid: Let me try a response along the following lines. And before that, a
little prologue from a historian's tale. Not the clerk's tale. I was
absolutely centrally influenced in working this problem about the warrior
saint by my reading of the Spanish conquest of Latin America, which I read
some early articles by Nathan Wachtel which became the book called The Vision
of the Vanquished, which gave me some idea also about how relationships are
worked out in performative arts with the conquistadors and the murders in
Peru and Mexico. But that's just an aside. But let me just open up the
question a little bit by saying that -- and correct me if I'm latching on to
one word wrongly -- when these events are identified. I think it is not a
case of our going and discovering something that was not there. But calling
something that was not called an event, an event. You know, what I mean by
that is that -- abbreviating the Azimer personality in terms purely of the
cult. And saying, ?well the cult is real, the person didn't exist. So we
can't handle that?. So what I'm going to suggest is that the identification
from the point, exists from the point of view of the historian. In saying,
?look, what is not seen as an event ?.. ? so Azimir's life could be seen as a
non-event, inasmuch as you emphasise only the miraculous powers that his
shrine has, because of his untimely death. You can create a completely
historical non-matheological (?) historical scenario saying, you know, Muslim
Sufis had miraculous powers. This is a great local guy we have got. So many
people have been going to his shrine from the time of Imnabatu time, 1351,
let's now write a history of this shrine. And what it has meant to millions
of people who have come over here. So you know, I'm not discovering this guy.
I have not manufactured this guy in a Subaltern Studies history workshop.
This guy has been staring everybody in the face, the dead face of his, for
five hundred years. There's a separate railway station for pilgrims to get
off. There's a special police posse, there is a separate magistrate who was
brought into being when the fair takes place. It's just that his life is not
seen as an event in the history of India, because that history is peopled by
real characters.

So you know, in a kind of a response to you, what we do really, what a
historian does is not to identify an event and then do something about it,
but to discover something as an event which could not be written because, if
it gets written as an event, then it would do something else to many other
events, or other things. And say that, ?well, this is an event in a very
special sense of the term??, especially in this case, with a guy who doesn't
exist, is really eventful, because what is important about the event is how,
from the 14th century, people have created this character, this life, to
reflect on very momentous events with whom he is associated. Right? So that's
the take I am trying to suggest. And -- have I unfairly latched onto your
word identify? But you know, it helped me to suggest what I'm -- so it's not
-- I then discover an unknown guy and say ?look, this is the most important
chap nobody has ever heard of?. So this is the complete, you know, autonomous
realm where people have made their own sense of Turkish conquest and not told
anybody about it. And the historian then, through perseverance, discovers
this nugget and said, ?look, nobody knew, I've got a big grant and I've got
this event out. Now this is the most important event?. With my book on Chauri
Chaura also, I said ?look, let's find out why nobody else has written on
this? Everybody knows about it. Definitely in one way or the other. But why
aren't people taking this as an event??

Top...

engaging history in the political contest

Q But something similar happened in Australia with our Aboriginal history. I?m
not a historian so I might be out of my depth here, but I think it was barely
studied. I think Manning Clark was probably the first historian who actually
started to look at it any way? I know he didn't do it very much? But this
actually leads me to my second question, you know. The public discussion of
this. The debate on our various, our I suppose polarised histories, the
polarised history of Australia, with Aboriginal Australia, which is fuelling
a lot of public debate at the moment. And in fact, historians have played a
part in this in fuelling this debate. The whole concept of the black armband
view of history much touted around by a lot of politicians, which I think was
originated by Geoffrey Blainey, and that sort of opened up out the debate. So
I guess the second question is the historian as public intellectual or public
figure.

Shahid: I guess, as I said, what really propelled me into this sort of history
of memory and remembrance and so on, was -- and I was discussing with a few
people over coffee -- is that along with the rise of this Hindu majoritarian
movement, which claimed a certain sanctity for a particular kind of action in
the present, on the base of a particular construction of history, where
history was invoked, the professional historian was being marginalised. And
that was also done systematically, because it was not necessarily that a
political party was now giving political expression to a major
historiographical trend. And say ?once we come to power, we'll put this guy's
history into practice?. Coming to power and creating a new history by the
political party were a simultaneous process, and history as it was
institutionalised in India was associated with kind of a deracinated western
secular Marxist kind of history, so we had to necessarily bring down the
intellectual capital of all professional historians. The moment you created
this instant history, written by non-historians, which was very positivistic,
but on the other hand, totally enmeshed in ?This is my belief and this is the
land of India, of Hindus and Hindu beliefs should count. Now this belief is
history and this should count?.

So precisely when history was invoked the historian as a professional was
being marginalised. And that's what made me intervene and suggest that this
rallying cry of ?Let's all like-minded historians get together!? and ?One
more push for scientific social history and these cobwebs would go away!? I
thought this will not do, because as I tried to say in the beginning of that
paper On Remembering the Musalman, what historians, or professional
historians, had not done, was to try and write histories of how memories and
communities are intermixed. I forget the beautiful lines that Suvendrini
quoted. That communities and histories come together or something like that.

Top...

creating a new history

So my earlier pieces were really stemmed, in 1986? from this. But that move
was a challenging move, because that also meant convincing the professions
that what is needed is another kind of history which is still history.
Because the secular hardliners would say, ?look, if you let go of facticity,
of positivist Marxism and so on and so forth, you are going to cross into
their courtyard?. And I would say, well, but how can you fight them unless
you take the fight into their courtyard and the metaphor that in India I've
often given, is the boxing ring. And if you're keeping your punching in your
corner, you're not going to get the guy. You have to, as they say, come out
and, as they say, fight. So you have to really come to that ground. And punch
harder and better. And -- which would also mean that you have to also
convince the other people on your side that you are doing something new,
because that's what they have not been able to do, but yet, it is history,
because that's how -- it's like a new, it's like the Colgate Dental Ring that
gives you 12 hour protection, right. In the sense that it's something new,
but it comes out of something that is the usual. But this is something that
you are able to do better. So that there's no point going back to old
certainties. You have to do history, but you have to do a new kind of history
which then gets into the question of memory, forgetfulness, constructions of
past and so on, which are not the questions that proper historians anywhere
had asked until very recently, or were cagey to ask, because they thought to
ask these questions is to -- as somebody asked yesterday -- is to really pull
the ground from under the edifice of proper history itself.

Top...

impact in the present

Q I'm not sure that you haven't already partly addressed some of the things
that came up in the question that our group discussed, which came out of
discussing ways in which the past lives on in the present. And with very
specific reference to the real context in India in the present. We wanted to
know what effects you thought this story of yours from the past and your
refashioning of the Warrior Saint, will actually have in the present in
India.

Shahid: Well, as some friends, comrades would think that I should not be doing
this kind of history. Nobody has written about it, why do you want to do it
now? Because some people might utilise this sort of thing to perhaps to have
a movement and you attack the shrine or something like that. I am conscious
of that, but you know -- and I'm also conscious of the fact that in certain
senses local constructions or even regional constructions can be hijacked, by
people who use a particular site to construct a pan-Indian view of things, as
has happened in the past. I refer to the way in which, in the late 19th
century, certain Hindi writers hijacked local events about matrimonial
alliances and fitted it into a certain notion of India's past. But I guess
what I'm saying is that one, that given the way non-professional histories
are being fabricated in the interest of a particular majoritarian view of
India's past, we should as professional historians, really create histories
which are already in the market or on the ground, before a very positivist
kind of a pop Hindu chauvinist history is created. And then you all scurry
back and we then mount a defence or write a critical review of this really
bad book on Wazimir [?], which would be written by an ideologue, or a World
Bank returned economist who is now a member of the Cabinet, and who
specialises in writing 600 page books on everything. Avin Surey (??) who did
economics in the same college as I did history from.

So then, so that, you know, so we must do this, otherwise it might be done in
a non-professional way and a much more emotive way by somebody else. So that
the professional historians would always be reacting.

Top...

popular culture, history and the warrior saint

Secondly, and I think I've already said this, I'm amazed how the professional
historians who are otherwise interested in popular culture and so on and so
forth, can ignore something that is so much a part of the popular culture of
this region for the past 500 years, including today. So that you know, if
there are problems that the local chauvinists have thought about, they have
thought about it for the past 70 years. There have been attempts since the
1910s by the local Hindu Arissamas(??), especially of this district. What
good are you as a major Hindu figure of Behright(?) if you don't rebut their
story. And there have been any number of pamphlets which have come up in the
past from the 1910s which say ?well, these Bannadiers(??) are real
scoundrels?, meaning they have cooked up these stories. But they don't say,
that well, ?this hagiography?s a hagiography. Who was this guy? He didn't
exist, so why bother about him?. They really converge hagiography into
history ?This is what happened!? and then they advise Hindus to read this
history properly, in terms of what we already know, what we already remember
about the Musalman. So that there is for the past 80 years, an attempt
independently of my first discovery of Wazimir [?] in 1980, to bring this guy
down in the area in the province. And if that movement succeeds, I think it
would succeed independently of whatever subversive or incendiary effect my
little book will have on these people.

You know, so that again, I'm not really addressing this book as with my Chauri
Chaura book, to the actual devotees, on either side of the divide -- those
who are really upset with the Hindu wives going to this guy, or those who go
to the shrine. I talked to them: they are my major material, but this is
really an intervention in the sphere of the non-devotees. And I think that
the fact that this cult has existed for 500 years and has survived the
attacks with print capitalism and so on, on it for the past 80 years -- even
today at the big fair there is a stall put up the RSMI(??), who sell their
history of Hindus and Wazimir every year. I bought some of them over there.
So there is -- what I'm saying is that there is enough attempt to counter it,
tension and survival, independently of my intervention. And I think that it
would be fruitless on my part to only think well, they'll read this book in
New Delhi and then launch a campaign on this. If it comes to that, then that
would be really sad, that what I write as a historian becomes the occasion
for a major political attack on this person, while at the local level and the
provincial level, in fact the cult has been there surviving and existing
because of this attack for so long.

Let me just point out, you know, it's not that every guy who comes there is
made to kneel and accept that ?Look, you have come to worship at the shrine
of this guy who killed so many people?. There's a tension over there. I mean
nobody's forced to admit. And the cult is able to survive precisely that.
Neither is this guy made into a complete Hindu god, right. Doing only cows
and nothing else. Nor is this guy written totally in terms of an Islamic
hero. And it is the tension between the two that creates the space for all
sorts of ideas in the same head, leading towards the movement towards this
guy. And in effect, repeated attempts, several attempts to clarify the mind,
clear the mind, have failed, and so that way I feel that it's not that
dangerous. It would be overestimating my particular role as a public
intellectual. That's how I think.

Top...

rethinking diaspora

Q I'm particularly interested -- Devleena you mentioned the idea of the
diaspora? I'm also interested in hearing a little bit from yourself? how do
you use the concept of diaspora, and what are the problems with writing
histories of diasporas? particularly if you are on the periphery of the
diaspora?

Suvendrini: That's a really interesting question to ask a Sri Lankan, because
when you say if you're on the periphery of a diaspora, I mean in one of the
biggest debates for us, for Sri Lankans is are you part of the Indian
diaspora. [laughter] And -- which is a really sort of complicated question.
And then you know, the Sri Lankan diaspora and the sort of complications of
that. And so there are obviously huge problems and debates about all of that,
which I acknowledge in a way, but I'm not particularly interested in buying
into because they don't seem to be important to what I want to look at. So I
wouldn't position myself in that way as someone who writes about diaspora.
I'm not really trying to dodge the question, it's just that that's not where
I would locate myself. I would see myself as writing about migration, which
is slightly different. And also as writing, you know, what I've called
somewhat -- you know, people are asking me about this -- why I use the term
multi racial and multi ethnic, rather than multiculturalism. But I don't
really -- I don't locate myself within that diasporic tradition.

Devleena: Yeah, Suvendrini's stolen my thunder, because I was going to say, I
actually think I write history of migrants, which I was going to say when you
said it. But I suppose the problem -- certainly for India, in which I don't
include Sri Lanka, I'll try not too -- there's a whole sort of range of
questions about the notion of South Asia in the diaspora. And looking just at
the Indian diaspora, if you want to use that word, in Australia for example,
I mean leaving the Indo-Fijians out of it for the moment, to a large extent
--the way that they, the way that the Indian diaspora seems to sort of work,
is in a sense much more regionalised, certainly in Australia. So there's
Bengali associations and Tamil associations, and even I think a Telugu
association. And there's even a Vishuwa Hindi Parishad. So in a sense, they
might come together for certain things, like when a film star comes from
India, then everybody and his dog turns up, and her cat or whatever. But the
thing is, in terms of actual inter-dining, inter-socialising, inter, you
know, whatever you want to call it, it's much more. So then do we say, is
there a Bengali diaspora? Is there a Calcutta diaspora? I mean it just gets
into this kind of mess, really. So I try and keep out of the mess and just
sort of work around the edges and just say well, migrants, I'm talking about
migrants, and they come from certain parts of India, or Bangladesh sometimes,
or whatever. So I don't know if I answered your question, but it's probably
because I don't know the answer.

Q In relationship to the jewish diaspora ?. what is that the relationship of
homeland to the diaspora in your situation?

Andrew: Yeah, well I was about to say, the Jewish diaspora, you mean the
Jewish diasporas, right, because you know, five Jews, six presidents. I think
the value of diaspora as a concept is actually primarily with those peoples
who don't have a homeland in which they control a nation state. Because it
sort of sets the political context rather more effectively. ? In the context
of the Jewish diaspora, I think it's a really interesting problematic term,
because it implies a whole series of things about the role that Israel plays
in notions of Judaism. And that's a political question around which there are
huge arguments, amongst Jews, let alone amongst everybody else. And that
analytically I think though diaspora really has its initial linkage to ideas
of the Jewish diaspora, it was more relevant to a period before the
establishment of the state of Israel, where there were enormous questions
about what it means to have -- what a Jewish home is, right? Is it -- prior
to the Second World War, some people were fairly comfortable about the notion
of Judaism as a religion, as other religions, and you were a citizen of the
nation state, and therefore that was it. But over the last hundred years with
the growth of political Zionism in its various forms, again diaspora then
takes on a particular political tone, which has as one of its solutions to
the diasporic problem, is the establishment of the state of Israel, which has
all sorts of other questions.

Top...

truth, cultural experience and representing the ?other?

Q This is a question for Andrew. I was thinking a lot about your
representation of China in your project, and I guess I'm interested in the
fact that you seem to -- and I might be wrong of course -- you seem to
concentrate on a national discourse of China and relationship to Jewish in a
particular period. But when you then describe what was going to happen with
your website, you are very clear about representing differences within the
Jewish community that end up, for some reason or another, in China. And I
guess I'm a bit concerned about the fact that China is just represented in
one way, which is a national dominant way.

Andrew: Yeah, I skated over that question. I thought I made some reference to
it. The ideology of pan-Hanism as an ideology of China making is, I think, a
really important issue. Because China as a single concept is very much an
ideological thing generated out of a particular political trajectory. And
that the energy put into holding China together, as we know, is enormous. I
mean the political, cultural energy that goes in on a daily basis to
reproducing the notion of China in the modern PRC, whether it's talking about
the destruction of the Falun Gong, the confrontation with Taiwan, the debate
over the role of Mandarin as the national language, how they deal with
minorities ? so-called minorities -- what to do about the Manchurian history,
or the Manchu history of the Han empires. All those things are highly
problematic elements I think. And I wouldn't want you to think I was unaware
of that. But I think one of the interesting questions we've asked a lot of
the people in the research is, thinking back, how would you summarise your
experience of what it was like -- or how would you summarise your experience
of China, leaving it as open as possible. And what you tend to get are these
extraordinarily different projections, which are essentially relational
projections. So some people say, I lived there for 50 years and I regret
never getting to know China. Others said it was an extraordinarily affluent
and spoilt life. It could never have happened in another time or place.
Others would say, one guy said, I left there when I was 14, but as a child
and an adolescent, those years were the most extraordinary of my life. It was
like a magic land at the end of the rainbow. And others said it was the most
horrific time -- it really depends. But each of them has a particular China
that they related to.

And this comes back to the question of what is the truth of any cultural
experience. I mean the truth is all those truths. They are each true in terms
of the experience of the people concerned. And the issue I guess in
interviewing is to try and sense how much the individual is drawing on this
notion of a panoramic external history to draw on an reinterpret their own
experience. And how much they're simply lying about what happened. One
particular guy who's now extremely wealthy, and a really nice guy, and the
interview that he gave, he was particularly concerned to put to sleep two
myths that he was concerned about in the community that he was in. One was
that the white Russians, the tsarist Russians in China, were extremely
anti-Semitic. And he describes in quite elaborate detail, how one of the
leading Russian fascists actually helped him escape. And he then tells
another [similar] story about being in Shanghai and gives quite a detailed
history of the time in Shanghai. And in another interview with somebody else,
who knew him well, she said 'Oh, did he tell you about the time he was in
gaol?' No. Never mentioned it. It was part of his narrative at all. But it
was very much part of her narrative about him.

So there are all these questions -- there are all these questions about how
you actually pin things down and try and tell a story. And I guess, taking up
Shahid's point, a lot of what you're trying to do is actually evoke a respect
for a multitude of alternalities about what goes. So that you're not stuck
with a particular fixed statement about this is what life, this is what it
was really like. And one of the experiences that a lot of people researching
in this area have had is when they get a group, for instance, of
Shanghailanders together, they have enormous arguments the moment they get
together. 'No, it wasn't like that, it was like this.' 'It might have been
like that for you, but it was like this for me.' And you get this
extraordinary dynamic where people are absolutely convinced of the reality of
their own history, obviously. But are very aggressive about anyone else's
history, which might suggest that their's is anything but true and valid.

Heather: I'd like to say on behalf of Transforming Cultures at UTS, and of the
Institute for Cultural Research at UTS and UWS, it's been an incredibly
valuable two days?Thank you to you all.

Top...

winter school home