[Reader-list] Operation Strangelove:Show your dissent. Show the movie.

Lachlan Brown lachlan at london.com
Wed Apr 30 15:44:10 IST 2003

What a great idea. I wonder what Kubrick (and Peter
Sellers) would make of the present dramas of
globalization. Cynical British empire building
under the paranoid world beating Vandalism of a steroid
crazed and completely ignorant Global Power, the USA.
Like a mad wrestler led by a latter day Kipling. It
is all completely nuts. Who wrote this script?

Surely America can top its best satire of the 60s
with work on the 'end times' dramas of the 00s or
noughties. The world they present is so bleak
and unsustainable one can only cry, or laugh, despair
or defy with all the creativity we can muster.

One of the purposes of the present 'new great game' is
to coopt media content and attention away from the
absurdities of national and local government, with
their new repressive laws that seem designed to cover
up their slight understanding of how the world works,
and what motivates people to make culture.

In Toronto we are presently dealing with a new
phenomenon, 'globalization protesting against you'
with the sudden arrival of SARS from Hong Kong by
airliner last month and the World Health Organisation's
travel advisory inclusion of Toronto, which became
pariah in North America overnight. The media and mayor
suggest every one go out for lunch to help the local
entertainment and tourist industry which was hit immediately.
Not the best advice obviously when dealing with a potential
pneumonic plague that could, unless isolated, spread
through the North American continent.

I wonder how Sellers or say vim Venders would cope with
the comic potential of such government and such media.

Otherwise it looks like the disease has been controlled here
by patient caring Health work - half of the sufferers are health
care workers and their families - their professional altruism
stands in sharp contrast with the quality of media advice and
the government of idiots. Nice people perhaps but they should
be doing something else, less dangerous, like delivering the
newspaper to peoples homes or cleaning the washrooms in government
buildings, and let journalists and editors make news, and real
politicians make government.

It seems to me that this disease has been proof with the way
ordinary people have coped with the situation that there is
indeed something called society and that without it there would
be no individual men or women, or their families.

George Lachlan Brown
Toronto

Lachlan Brown

T+VM: +1 416 666 1452