[Reader-list] for posting on the reader's list

bfs bfs at bgl.vsnl.net.in
Thu Aug 21 13:48:30 IST 2003

Deep Focus invites papers on the cinematic representation of war.

We live in violent times: times in which our community and collective
memories are dying; times in which the instruments of justice are
hardly able to redress the violence that's escalating, and
intensifying; times in which progress presupposes the genocide of
many; times in which the political space for being the other is
diminishing, even closing.*

  In these times we look for a language that describes the culture of
absence, the politics which silences and invisiblizes, we look for a
language that reads the gaps between images and words, gestures and
ideas. We propose to study how cinema enunciates/articulates-war,
historical events, ideas of nations, nationalism and patriotism.

  Almost all war films not so much represented war as something near
and present, but more as distant and absent, obscuring atrocities or
images which were too brutal-a sanitised view of war. We intend to
look at how representations of war were utilised for political
purposes, as well as the ways in which they were entrenched in the
contemporary social and historiographical discourse.

  Somewhere we'd like to uncover contemporary political spaces and the
wars of the 20th/21st century, which with the emergence of the
techno-militarization and transnational corporations have displaced
politics (democracy, freedom and civil society) and its implication
for diverse cultural expressions; by focusing on films apart from the
holocaust films, maybe lesser known films on countries and
communities that have been the other or some how do not receive much
attention in the context of representation.

  We invite well researched articles for our January 2004 issue on the
theme of war, of the fundamental feelings of human suffering and
sacrifice, of war crimes and punishments, of representation of war in
cinema in postmodern times and its re-coloniality.

Deadline: 15th November 2003.

Range: 3,000 to 10,000 words

Deep Focus also invites articles on film criticism, interviews, film
and book reviews and responses to articles published, which we would
like to publish in our future editions.

Please mail your articles to:

No. 33/1-9 and 1-10, Thyagaraj Layout, Jai Bharathi Nagar,
Maruthi Sevanagar P.O., Bangalore - 560 033.

E-mail: <mailto:bfs at bgl.vsnl.net.in%C2%A0>bfs at bgl.vsnl.net.in