[Reader-list] * Request for info on traditional water management techniques in India *

Sarang Shidore sarang at flomerics.com
Fri Aug 22 15:31:18 IST 2003

We at AID Austin have a group that is trying to learn more about
water issues in India. Ultimately we want to understand how water as
a precious national resource can be sourced, purified, distributed,
and recycled in a way that is both efficient and fair. For example,
we are trying to understand the recent moves in India to privatize
water sources themselves, such as rivers and lakes, typically to
major corporations. A small river in Maharashtra has already been
sold to the private sector. The claim is that this will result in a
more efficient use of water, and lead to more investment in better
quality water supply. The critiques range from a total opposition to
entry of private sector into basic necessities ("free goods") like
water, to a mixed public-private approach with strong regulatory
oversight.

I want to better understand how water was tapped and used in ancient
and medieval India. I believe this is an important piece that is
often under-emphasized. Evolution can teach us many lessons useful
for designing modern solutions. There appears to have been reasonable
self-sufficiency in water in much of Indian history until the late
colonial era. Traditional India apparently used small, localized but
highly effective water harvesting techniques. But the economics of
this is especially unclear to me. If anyone has
sources/articles/papers etc providing info about such traditional
approaches (both technology and economics), please let me know.

Sarang