[Reader-list] Re:Biased, who?

Mir Taqi Mir mir_taqi_mir at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 26 00:15:06 IST 2003

keep at it abir,

----- Original Message -----
From: Kashmir Media Service
To: "Undisclosed-Recipient: ;"@mtabulk5.sc5.mail.yahoo.com
Sent: Sunday, August 24, 2003 4:53 AM
Subject: [KF] News from KMS

AI CONCERNED OVER CUSTODIAL DISAPPEARANCES IN IHK
* 12 KASHMIRIS KILLED, 4 INDIAN SOLDIERS KILLED

Srinagar, August 23(KMS): The Amnesty International has expressed serious
concern over custodial disappearances in occupied Kashmir and conveyed its
active support to the families whose loved ones have disappeared.

According to Kashmir Media Service, Amnesty's Canada Group in a statement
announced to undertake three day fast starting on August 28 to express
solidarity with the relatives of disappeared persons in occupied Kashmir. It
said, "the Amnesty supports the Association of Parents of Disappeared
Persons in Jammu and Kashmir. The statement further said, "it has noted that
since 1989 there have been thousands of reported disappearances in the
state. While the authorities estimate the figure at 3744, we believe the
accurate figure to be probably higher, since many disappearances go
unreported or unrecorded".

The Amnesty expressed grave concern over the thousands of people who
disappeared in custody of security agencies that include, the local police
and its counter-insurgency wing, the Special Operations Group, Indian army's
Rashtriya Rifles and smaller para-military units.

Meanwhile, Indian troops killed 12 more Kashmiris in continuing siege and
search operations. The troops claimed to have killed six Guerrillas in a
clash at Mendhar in Poonch district. Four Indian troops including three
officers were also killed in the encounter, which lasted several hours. Two
persons each were shot dead in Doda and Poonch districts while one each in
Bijbehara and Shopian areas.

In an interview with Kashmir Media Service, former APHC Chairman, Syed Ali
Gilani said that India cannot intimidate Kashmiris into submission by
continuing its state terrorism. He emphasised that liberation struggle will
continue till it reaches its logical end.

Addressing party workers in Surankot, Chairman of Peoples Movement, Ghulam
Ahmad Mir said, Kashmiris started the ongoing liberation struggle after
India refused to fulfill its pledge made to them for exercising their right
to self-determination.

Chairman, Jammu and Kashmir Democratic Front, Pandit Bhushan Bazaz speaking
at a seminar in New Delhi called upon India to stop human rights abuses,
catch and kill policy and rescind all black laws on Kashmir. (KMS)

INDIA SHOULD FULFILL PLEDGES MADE WITH KASHMIRIS IN SECURITY COUNCIL---
PANDIT BHUSHAN BAZAZ

New Delhi, August 23(KMS):  India must recognise the 15 year old Kashmiris'
uprising, fulfill her pledges with Kashmiris in the UN Security Council,
withdraw all black laws on Kashmir and stop human rights abuses and catch
and kill policy in occupied Jammu and Kashmir.

According to Kashmir Media Service, this has been stated by the Chairman,
Jammu and Kashmir Democratic Front (JKDF) Pandit Bhushan Bazaz while
participating in discussion during a seminar held here under the title,
'Towards a Peaceful Settlement of the Kashmir Issue'.

He reiterated that Kashmir is a disputed territory and there could be no
peace in south Asia until its just, dignified and permanent solution is
secured. For this the UN resolutions on Kashmir or tripartite talks are the
two alternatives, he said. The Jammu and Kashmir dispute is inextricably
linked with peace and security in the region and there is greater urgency to
address the Kashmir issue, which is passing through a flashpoint period,
Pandit Bhushan Bazaz added.

Pandit Bazaz lambasted Indian government for stepping up custodial killings
besides arresting and disappearances of Kashmiri youth.
(KMS-)

APHC CHAIRMAN FOR TALKS ON KASHMIR

Srinagar, August 23(KMS): In occupied Kashmir, APHC Chairman, Maulana Abbas
Ansari has said that dialogue can only end the Kashmir issue which has been
cause of tension in the region for the last over 5 decades.

According to Kashmir Media Service, in a media interview Maulana Ansari said
talks between India, Pakistan and true representatives of Kashmiri people
could solve the Kashmir dispute.

Referring to Vohra peace mission, Maulana Ansari said he will not hold talks
with N. N. Vohra because "his initiative does not take us anywhere". He
said, Hurriyat Conference would welcome initiative coming from the Indian
Prime Minister Vajpayee. He said we can find such a decision that people of
the region can live in peace. (KMS-)

INDIA MUST COME TO NEGOTIATION TABLE TO PROVE ITS SINCERITY - JKPM

Srinagar, August 23(KMS): Jammu and Kashmir Peoples Movement said that
Kashmiris started the ongoing freedom struggle after India's refusal to
fulfil her pledge made with them for exercising their right of self
determination.

According to Kashmir Media Service, this was stated by Peoples Movement's
Chairman, Ghulam Ahmad Mir while addressing a meeting of party workers and
office bearers at Surankot in Poonch district. More than two hundred party
workers attended the meeting.

Peoples Movement Chairman said India has been engaged in genocide of
Kashmiri Muslims for the last 56 years in order to perpetuate her
stranglehold over occupied Kashmir. India he said has been operating
terrorist bases across occupied Kashmir particularly in the districts of
Rajouri and Poonch close to Line of Control but blaming Pakistan of
terrorism to cover up its own crime. Lauding Pakistan's just stand on
Kashmir, Ghulam Ahmad Mir said that Pakistan has been extending moral,
diplomatic and political support to Kashmiris. On the other hand, India
talked of negotiations on Kashmir but instead martyrs dozens of Kashmiri
youth daily through custodial killings. Arsoning and vandalizing of Muslims'
property, arrest of innocent youth and forced disappearance by Indian army
has become order of the day. Peoples Movement Chief said if India is sincere
about resolving the Kashmir issue it must come to the negotiation table.

Some other prominent party leaders including Secretary General, Mirza Zafar
Khurshid and Ejaz Ahmad Advocate also addressed the meeting. They reiterated
the resolve to continue their struggle till freedom from India's occupation
of Kashmir. (KMS)

THIS 3 YR OLD BOY CANNOT FORGET HIS DEAD FATHER

Wagoora, Pattan, August 23(KMS): In occupied Kashmir, more than two months
have passed, but three year old Imtiaz cannot forget his father. Everyday,
this tender boy runs bare footed to his father's grave and embraces it till
he falls asleep.

According to Kashmir Media Service, Imtiaz's father Peer Abdul Qayoom and
brother Masood Ahmad Shah were killed by the Indian troops of 49 GR
Simurulen in the intervening night of 15th June. Both of them were returning
from evening prayers when they were shot at in village Daro in Kreeri
Pattan. "How can he forget his father, he was most close to his father. His
father loved Imtiaz more than his life", says Touseefa, the wife of Abdul
Qayyum adding that after his father had been killed, young Imtiaz never
smiles and always cries for his father. Imtiaz's four brothers and two
sisters have the same tale to render. Grief stricken by their father and
brother's death, the young ones of the family are still coming to grips with
the reality "Tell me should I cry for my father or my brother or curse the
Indian troops for killing my family members" says Farooq Ahmad, the younger
son of Abdul Qayyum.

Though army claimed that the father son duo was killed accidentally that
fateful night, Touseefa argues that the army men knew that her husband
always came to the home after offering Isha prayers." The army personnel
knew that my husband was an Imam in a local mosque and used to come home
only after 10 in the evening so, they fired at him without ascertaining his
identity, Why did they kill him, only the concerned commanding must know "
argues Touseefa. (KMS-)

IMAM OF MOSQUE ARRESTED, DISAPPEARED BY INDIAN TROOPS

Srinagar, August 23(KMS): An Imam of a mosque in Bandipora arrested by
Indian troops on August 17 has been missing ever since and there was no
trace of his whereabouts.

According to Kashmir Media Service, Imam, Noor Muhammad resident of Bankot
was taken into custody by Indian soldiers on August 17 and sice then there
has been no information where he is. The local people however, recovered his
clothes form a nearby jungle which has created doubts about safety of his
life. (KMS)

APHC CONCERNED OVER GROWING HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATIONS IN IHK
* 2 STUDENTS, 1 TRADER ARRESTED

Srinagar, August 23(KMS): All Parties Hurriyat Conference expressing grave
concern over human rights violations by Indian army and its armed agents has
urged international organisations to pressurise India to stop the
brutalities being committed against the people of Kashmir.

According to Kashmir Media Service, the Indian troops launched savage
crackdowns twice during last week at Wachchi and Bandua besides other areas
of district Pulwama. During the crackdown, the residents were stripped of
their clothes, beaten up and tortured. Vandalism of the highest order was
committed by the troops during search operation. The whole area is extremely
tense, APHC spokesman said.

Citing some of the recent atrocities by the occupation army, the spokesman
said that Border Security Force (BSF) arrested a young trader, Riaz Ahmad
Wattoo from his residence at Budshah Mohalla, Lal Bazar in Srinagar on
August 14, 2003 and since then his whereabouts were not known by his
relatives. Traders and shopkeepers demonstrated and observed strike on
Thursday last to protest Riaz Ahmad's illegal arrest. A delegation also
called upon the police and civil authorities but of no avail.

In another violence related incident, unknown gunmen arrested young student
Irashad Ahmad Shah, 17 and Riaz Ahmad Shah, 20 the previous day and took
them to some unspecified place. People of the area held forceful
demonstration against the incident. (KMS)

BSF, ARMY AT LOGGER HEADS OVER KARAL GUND INCIDENT

Srinagar, August 23(KMS): In occupied Kashmir, Border Security Force waged a
virtual war of words with Army over Kral Gund Bridge incident alleging that
one of its officers was humiliated, roughed up, detained and tortured in
custody by Indian Army.

According to Kashmir Media Service, in a statement here, BSF said the army
severely beat its sub inspector Ram Mehar Singh and detained him as his
vehicle attempted to cross Karal Gund bridge while an army convoy was coming
from the other side.

However, a defence spokesman denied the charges saying this was being done
to malign the finest force of the country.

He said army convoy waited for the BSF vehicles to pass and then crossed the
bridge. However, when the army vehicle was about to pass the bridge, a BSF
vehicle, that had lagged behind arrived at the spot. Despite repeated
reminders by the army personnel to move backwards, the BSF Sub Inspector
refused while pointing his gun at army officer, the spokesman said adding
the BSF man was later overpowered and taken to army headquarters. (KMS-)

AMNESTY GROUP CONCERNED OVER CUSTODIAL DISAPPEARANCE IN OCCUPIED KASHMIR

Srinagar, August 23(KMS): Amnesty International has expressed serious
concern over custodial disappearances in occupied Kashmir and conveyed its
active support to the families whose loved ones have disappeared.

According to Kashmir Media Service, a Vancouver-based Amnesty Group in a
statement issued at Canada said, "we support the Association of Parents of
Disappeared Persons in Jammu and Kashmir. We are gravely concerned with the
thousands of people who disappeared in custody of security agencies". These
security agencies the statement added, include the local police and its
counter-insurgency wing, the Special Operations Group, Indian army's
Rashtriya Rifles and smaller para-military units. The statement further
said, "we have noted that since 1989 there have been thousands of reported
disappearances in the state. While the authorities estimate the figure at
3744, we believe the accurate figure to be probably higher, since many
disappearances go unreported or unrecorded".

The Canada-based Amnesty Group has conveyed its concern, hope, comfort and
active support to the families whose loved ones have disappeared. (KMS-)

IHK CABINET MEMBERS DEMAND TALKS WITH HURRIYAT

Srinagar, August 23(KMS): In occupied Kashmir, members from within the
cabinet are now demanding that the puppet administration begin talks with
liberation leaders from the Hurriyat Conference. It's the pressure within
the cabinet that forced puppet Chief Minister Mufti Mohammad Saeed to
publicly call for talks with the Hurriyat, reports Kashmir Media Service.

Now in what could increase the pressure on both the puppet Mufti government
and New Delhi to reach out to the Hurriyat, 11 legislators have come
together to formalise their alliance under the banner of the People's
Democratic Forum. This political party will be headed by Ghulam Mohammad Din
Sofi and has four state ministers. Their first demand is to hold talks with
the Hurriyat. Hakeem Muhammad Yaseen, one of the members, said, "The forum
wants a peaceful and honourable solution of Kashmir issue which is
acceptable to all parties. We want meaningful dialogue in which Hurriyat
Conference and other like minded groups are involved". The decision to
formally create a political party came a day after two of the puppet
ministers threatened to resign from the troubled state government.  They
have been demanding more representation in the state cabinet and a sign of
how tense things have become was on public display when some of these
ministers walked out of the ceremonial fun
KASHMIR MEDIA
   SERVICE

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

InformationTimes.com - Kashmir Forum