[Reader-list] Basant '03 Press Release

Lehar .. lehar_hind at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 4 23:04:06 IST 2003

Dear Friends,
Please do come and bring your friends also.
The Musical evening willbe inaugarated by Delhi CM,
Smt.Shiela Dixit.

PRESS RELEASE
Wednesday, February 5, 2003
New Delhi, India
Basant 2003

A 4-day festival of Spring, Colour, Music &
Celebration
February 6-9, 2003 New Delhi
Organized by Communicators' Cooperative
Co-sponsored by Sahitya Kala Parishad, New Delhi
Few would know that Basant Panchami, the ancient Hindu
festival of spring, is also celebrated by many Muslims
in India, especially at the dargah (tomb) of
Nizamuddin Aulia at Delhi, every year. This 700 year
old colourful tradition is attributed to the Sufis,
especially the Chishti saint Nizamuddin and his
disciple Amir Khusrau Dehlavi, who were probably among
the first Muslims to begin the revival of the
celebration of Basant.

In February 2002, Communicators' Cooperative, a
collective of media and arts professionals, decided to
revive the spirit of Basant festival and to make more
people participate in it, by organizing a public event
in and around the dargah Nizamuddin area. The Basant
Utsav 2002 (held on the 17 February 2002), involved
many activities such as a heritage walk in the dargah
area, an exhibition of books and other material
related to Basant and Amir Khusrau, a screening of
films related to Basant, and finally, an evening of
classical and Sufi music in which eminent artists such
as Iqbal Ahmad Khan, Madan Gopal Singh, Vidya Shah,
Dhruv Sangari and others performed. This event was
attended by about 2000 people, including Delhi's chief
minister Ms. Sheila Dixit.

Buoyed by the success of the 2002 festival, the group
has organized a 4-day festival of Basant this year
(6-9 February, 2003) at two locations in Delhi (around
Dargah Nizamuddin, and at Mehrauli). Following is a
brief schedule of the programmes. The entry in all
events in free and all are cordially invited.
(The festival is co-sponsored by the Sahitya Kala
Parishad, New Delhi)

Day I: Thursday, 6th February, 2003 (Dargah Nizamuddin
area)

10.30 a.m.: Basanti Heritage Walk: Starting at
Humayun’s tomb, and going through
Hazrat Nizamuddin, culminating at Rahim's Tomb.

12.30 p.m.: Children's Choir - Saraswati Vandana
(children from various
communities present Nirala's famous poem, composed and
arranged by Ustad Iqbal
Ahmed Khan of Dilli gharana) at Rahim’s Tomb.

1:00 p.m.: Basanti Udaan releasing of yellow balloons,
kite flying and kite
exhibition by Bhai Mian at Rahim’s Tomb.

3.00 - Kavi Sammelan/Mushaira at Ghalib's Tomb (Some
of poets invited are
Kedarnath Singh, Manglesh Dabral, Debiprasad Mishra,
Mateen Amrohvi, Gauhar
Raza, and others)

5.00 p.m.: Traditional Basant procession to Dargah of
Hazrat Nizammuddin Aulia,
which involves offering mustard flowers to the graves
of important saints in the
area.

Day II: Friday, 7th February 2003 (Dargah Nizamuddin
area)

11.30 a.m.: Basanti Sanskriti at Rahim’s Tomb
(Thematic painting competition)

3.00 p.m.: Basanti Cinema at Ghalib Academy Hall --
(films on the themes of
Basant, including two documentary films about Basant
festivities at Lahore,
Pakistan, and a film on Amir Khusrau)

Day III – Saturday, 8th February, 2003 (Mehrauli/Qutab
area)

10.00 a.m.: Heritage Water Walk starting from Hauz e
shamshi (Mehrauli, the
venue of Phool Walon Ki Sair) and culminating at Qutab
Minar

3.00 p.m. Western/pop music groups (including Ind
Transit) perform World Music
and Urban Balladeering

Day IV – Sunday, 9th February, 2003 (Mehrauli/Qutab
area)

10.00 a.m: Heritage Walk starting at Qutub Minar and
culminating at Jamaali
Kamaali

3.00 p.m. Basanti Samaa (Evening of traditional Sufi
Qawwalis and classical
music related to Basant, and Amir Khusrau. Invited
artists include Ustad Iqbal
Ahmad Khan, Madan Gopal Singh, Hamsar Hayat Qawwal,
and others)

Delhi's Chief Minister Mrs. Shiela Dikshit has kindly
consented to inaugurate
the Basanti Samaa evening at 3 pm on 9th February
2003.
(The schedule is subject to change. For more details
and a final schedule,
kindly visit the site: http://www.cc-india.org, or
contact the organizers at
basant at cc-india.org or call Vagish K. Jha at
91-11-26166155)

--------
More information:
http://www.sphosting.com/ccindia/photo/basantphoto.html
Sanjhi VIrasat:
www.ektaramusic.com/sqalam

THE SIGNIFICANCE OF BASANT '03
other religions would
People's festival.
represent the "
easily accessible to
they would be
perceived by people
different income
interests shall be aimed at.
critical heritage sites
Tourism.

-
I have learned so much from God
That I can no longer call myself a Christian, a Hindu,
a Muslim, a Buddhist, a Jew.
The Truth has shared so much of Itself with me
That I can no longer call myself a man, a woman, an
angel..
Love has befriended me.
It has turned to ash and freed me
Of every concept and image my mind has ever known.

- Hafiz, Persian Sufi

Organised religion is the prop of a man who has not
found his Self/ God within.
- Shaheed Bhagat Singh