[Reader-list] India - Surveillance / Snooping stories: ID Card (MNIC) + V-Cop + SMS Tapping ....

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Thu Feb 13 08:10:45 IST 2003

India: Surveillance and Snooping  stories
Recent reports on
{a.} Multipurpose National Identity Card (MNIC);
{b.} The national police station inter-connect system called V-Cop;
{c}  Tapping of SMS on the cell phone networks
{d.} [Security vendors at work] Security International 2003  - India:
Exhibit / Conference (Feb. 2003)

[From: India Pakistan Arms Race and Militarisation Watch (IPARMW) # 113
12 February 2003]

______

a)

Indian Express
Monday, January 13, 2003

'Mother of I-cards': 5000-cr tag
Bhavna Vij- Aurora
New Delhi, January 12: The government is already calling it the
''mother of all cards'' and here's some idea why: it will be the most
definitive proof of citizenship ever, overriding your passport, your
ration card, even your prized electoral card.

It will contain your personal details, your photograph, finger
biometry and blood group. And to ensure that each and every Indian
carries the Multipurpose National Identity Card (MNIC), the
government could spend upto Rs 5,000 crore.

The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) is so keen on the MNIC project
that it brushed aside the opposition voiced by the Election
Commission of India (ECI), which pointed out that electoral identity
cards were ''good enough'' proof of identity. The EC spent Rs 1,000
crore over a decade, yet didn't manage to cover the country's 600
million voters. ''We suggested streamlining the process of issuing
electoral I-cards instead since so much money had already been spent
by both the Centre and states. There's no point spending five times
more on a Utopian project,'' an EC official said.

But the Home ministry insists that the MNIC was required for purposes
of national security, and that the EC's identity cards could easily
be duplicated. ''The MNIC will provide a credible and unique
individual identification system. The minister also drew attention to
the disparity in the distribution of the aid. ''There are a few
constituencies, represented by ministers and influential legislators
of the previous government, where the number of the beneficiaries is
in thousands while others had just a few hundred,'' he alleged.

This social welfare scheme is primarily aimed at providing sustenance
to the most distressed sections of society. ''This scheme has been
going on for years now,'' said Feroz Ahmad, Director, Social Welfare
Department. ''I also came across reports that money orders were being
returned. So, I have constituted a probe committee, engaging officers
of the department who are not linked to this scheme,'' he added.

According to Ahmad, the government had constructed a foolproof
mechanism to identify those who would benefit from this scheme.
Obviously, it wasn't so foolproof. ''There is a board at the district
level, chaired by the deputy commissioner, with our district social
welfare officer as its member secretary. There are one or two public
representatives who are local legislators from that district. They
identify the people, after which our tehsil-level officers do the
physical verification,'' he said. ''The power to identify the
beneficiaries and the disbursement of money rests with the deputy
commissioners. We have to see what has gone wrong and where,''he
added.

Other sources in the welfare dartment were more forthcoming. ''It is
impossible that the district boards would not know about this scam.
Such siphoning of funds is only possible because of the connivance of
the officers of the welfare department as well as those legislators
who are part of the board,'' alleged a senior social welfare officer.

o o o

BBC
Wednesday, 8 January, 2003, 05:07 GMT
India to test-drive identity cards

The Indian Government says it will test a proposed national
identity-card scheme in selected districts of 13 states later this
year.

It says the scheme will help it track down illegal foreign nationals
who pose a security risk.

The decision was taken on Tuesday at an internal security meeting of
state police, intelligence and other officials.

The Indian Government also said it would launch a special drive to
deport about 20 million people of Bangladeshi origin who it says are
illegal immigrants.

Earlier, Deputy Prime Minister, LK Advani strongly supported an
official campaign, announced last month, to deport thousands of
Pakistanis living illegally in India.

Speaking at the security conference, Mr Advani said immediate steps
should be taken to identify illegal residents, locate them and expel
them.