[Reader-list] Harvard Law Students launch coalition supporting Iraq war

Avishek Ganguly avishek_ganguly at yahoo.co.in
Wed Feb 26 05:38:35 IST 2003

Harvard Law Students launch coalition supporting
disarmament of Iraq

http://www.studentsprotectingamerica.com/

 For Immediate Press Release

 Cambridge, MA. February 24, 2003.  Today at Harvard
Law School a group of students launched Students for
Protecting America, a non-partisan coalition
supporting the immediate disarmament of Iraq in the
face of its continued non-compliance with UN
resolutions.

The group’s position is that in the aftermath of
September 11th, Americans can no longer remain
complacent in the face of terrorism and the
proliferation of weapons of mass destruction among
rogue states.  Students for Protecting America
supports the Bush Administration’s efforts to fight
terrorism and defend America, and it believes that
Iraq poses a dire threat and should be disarmed
immediately.

Brett Joshpe, founder of Students for Protecting
America, said, “We are all frustrated by the anti-war
protests of recent weeks and believe that most
Americans agree with us, but have been less visible
than the opposition.  Our group intends to add
legitimacy to the administration’s position.  We
firmly believe that in the absence of alternatives,
this war is right for America, Iraq, and the world.
America has a duty to protect its citizenry, and the
opposition has failed to present viable or persuasive
alternatives.  We hope to spark a grassroots movement
and encourage students and Americans to join us in
demonstrating their support for protecting America.”

Avigael Cymrot, co-founder of Students for Protecting
America, said, “This is a time for moral clarity.  The
anti-war protesters are supporting the continuation of
a regime that gasses its ethnic minorities, sanctions
the use of rape as a means of political enforcement,
engages in every variety of brutal torture, and has
the potential to share weapons of mass destruction
with terrorists.  Most of us are unlikely activists,
but in the face of this threat, we cannot afford to be
indifferent.”

Anthony Gaughan, co-founder of Students for Protecting
America, said, "We believe that the effort to disarm
Iraq and achieve regime change in Baghdad represents a
critical moment in history. The question before us is
whether the international community will live up to
its cornerstone ideals of democracy and human rights,
or whether its ideals are merely rhetorical
flourishes. We call on our fellow Americans of all
partisan affiliations to rally behind the Bush
administration in its effort to preserve our freedom,
protect our security, and promote our ideals by
confronting and defeating international renegades such
as Saddam Hussein."

In order to raise awareness, Students for Protecting
America is posting fliers around the Harvard campus.
It plans to disseminate educational fliers supporting
the cause for war and addressing counter-arguments
frequently made against it.  The group plans to
contact other schools around the country to encourage
similar forms of mobilization, and it is considering
organizing a rally in the near future.  Its web-site
is www.StudentsProtectingAmerica.com.

Students for Protecting America has issued the
following Statement on Iraq:

1) Saddam Hussein’s regime represents a grave threat
to US and world security.  In the absence of immediate
and unconditional compliance with all UN resolutions,
we support military action to remove this dangerous
and totalitarian regime.

2) The American government and the international
community have a responsibility to act swiftly and
decisively to address this security threat, and the
risks of delay are unacceptable.

3) The Bush administration has acted deliberately and
cautiously by presenting numerous occasions for Iraq
to disarm, which it has failed to do.

4) After twelve years of sanctions, Saddam Hussein
still defies the international community, resulting in
prolonged suffering for the Iraqi people.  Sanctions
no longer represent a viable option for disarming Iraq
and ensuring US security.

5) France, Germany, Belgium and other members of the
international community have irresponsibly obstructed
our efforts to disarm Iraq.  These governments have
not only neglected their duties, but have seriously
undermined the integrity of their alliances with the
US.  We should proceed to protect ourselves without
their cooperation.

6) Those opposing the war have failed to present
alternatives to military action that will guarantee
the eradication of Iraqi ties to terrorist groups and
attempts to obtain and develop weapons of mass
destruction.

7) This war is moral and just and will benefit the
Iraqi people and the international community.

8) We support the administration’s stance on this
issue and its continued efforts to protect American
security.