[Reader-list] Documentary Filmmaker Needs Help

Beaufort9films at aol.com Beaufort9films at aol.com
Thu Feb 27 05:25:33 IST 2003

Dear Friends,

As a documentary filmmaker in New York and a strong advocate for a peaceful

solution to the conflict in Iraq, I have felt frustrated and astonished that

our president has ignored, not only the 400,000 people like myself who

protested the war in my city, but the millions of others who did so around

the globe.

Having just finished a documentary about civil rights activist Bayard Rustin,

who introduced Gandhi's method of civil disobedience to Martin Luther King, I

have wondered what I could do as a filmmaker to stop the war in the short

time left.  Most of my films  are humanitarian portraits of communities
outside

mainstream society, honoring the dignity and beauty of their daily life.

Since the American media rarely, if ever, shows this aspect of the Iraqi

people, I thought perhaps I could do so in the two weeks leading up to March

15th, sending back to the mainstream networks and internet, a very different

portrait of the Iraqi people than what gets reported.

My hope is to live with one extended family in Baghdad and chronicle their

fears, joys, and concerns about living in a city threatened by the machinery

of war.  As an American filmmaker I can't hope to ever capture the conscience

of the Iraqi people, but I can remain a mindful and sensitive observer of the

simplest aspects of daily life:  a father who takes three busses to work, his

wife who shops in the market for the family, their kids who kick a ball

outside school.  While capturing these details, I will ask them about their

plans for the future, their aspirations for their children.

It seems both a modest and ambitious goal, but one that could profoundly

affect the harshest sentiments of the American people and its government.  To

bomb an Iraqi family who the world sees, puts a face on this potential

atrocity, and its the one thing I can do as a filmmaker to practice civil

disobedience.

I can't, however, do it on my own.  I'm asking journalists, friends, and

acquaintances if they know any family in Iraq who might allow me to spend

time with them.  I would also need help navigating through Baghdad, and work

with someone sympathetic to this cause.

Please feel free to contact me as soon as possible at this e-mail address,

and thank you all for your time and thoughtful consideration to help stop

this senseless war.

Warm regards,

David Petersen

________________________

DAVID PETERSEN

Biography

    David Petersen has had his films exhibited at numerous international

museums and festivals, including The Centre Georges Pompidou in Paris,  The

Museum of Modern Art in New York, The Hirshhorn Museum, The National Callery

of Art, the Museum of American History, and The Library of Congress. In

addition, his work is in the permanent collection of several museums,

including the Museum of Modern Art, the National Gallery of Art and the

Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. His recent ITVS documentary Let

the Church Say Amen premiered at the Smithsonian’s Natural History Museum,

and will air on PBS this fall.  He served as director, producer, and editor

of the film Fine Food, Fine Pastries, Open 6 to 9, which was nominated for an

Academy Award and received first place prizes in the American, National

Educational, Houston International, Aspen, and Athens film festivals; and won

an Emmy and CINE Golden Eagle award. He directed and produced the award

winning documentary If You Lived Here You Would Be Home Now, a Spirit Award

nominee, which premiered at The National Gallery of Art, and had its

acclaimed broadcast on PBS. His short dramatic film Scenes, won a Rosebud

Festival Award; and he produced for the Emmy award-winning PBS series Egg:

the Arts Show and City Life. David Petersen has also served as a guest

lecturer and instructor at the New York University, Hunter College, American

University, Carnegie-Melon University; and St. Lawrence University in New

York.

            In the past, he has directed several films for the Smithsonian

Institution and other  agencies, and has served as editor on documentaries

for public television and theatrical release including Michael Moore’s Roger

and Me;  the Sundance 2003 Selection Brother Outsider: The Life of Bayard

Rustin; City at Peace, the feature-length documentary, produced by Barbra

Striesand; Family Man, a one hour PBS special on fatherhood which Mr.

Petersen field directed; the internationally produced Minidragons series;The

AIDS Quarterly, a WGBH series hosted by Peter Jennings; Loose Nukes and Back

In the U.S.S.R, two documentaries for the PBS "Frontline" series; and on two

films for the PBS "Smithsonian World" series, The Quantum Universe and The

Doors of Perception. Mr. Petersen has been published in literary magazines in

the United States and overseas, and has received numerous artist fellowships

from The MacDowell Colony, Yaddo, The Virginia Center for the Creative Arts,

the Mexican Cultural Institute, and The Ragdale Foundation. In addition to

awards won in film festivals, he received grants from the D.C. Community

Humanities Council, The Cafritz Foundation, Pittsburgh Filmmakers, and four

Individual Artist Grants from the D.C. Commission on the Arts and the

National Endowment for the Arts.