[Reader-list] the number 500

Ravi Agarwal ravig at del6.vsnl.net.in
Tue Jan 7 06:58:28 IST 2003

Dear Sam,

The Bhopal campaign for Justice has been carried out for the past 18 years
by local groups. Greenpeace has entered the scene only since 2000. I think
the reason you see only them is since they are the most resourceful, they
have the capacity to be more visible on website type of interfaces.The main
leaders on the ground are Satinath Sarangi (Sathyu), Jabbar, and Rashida Bi.
Sathyu has been running a holistic healing clinic since I think as early as
1986 in Bhopal for Bhopal survivors.

Outside Bhopal there are some key Bhopal support groups including a Fact
Finding Mission which was set up in 2000 for a multi discipline examination.
I was involved in the Environmental study. The Mission was coordinated by
Deendaylan of The Other Media.

The past 18 years has been a history of struggle at local, national and
international levels by the local groups. The current push is against DOW
Chemicals which has taken over Union Carbide worldwide, but has refused to
take on the liability for Bhopal cleanup at he heavily contaminated factory
site. The campaign is not international and growing in strength.

Sathyu's email is....<sambavna at sancharnet.in>

Deendayalan: The Other Media  admin at del3.vsnl.net.in

Ravi Agarwal