[Reader-list] OUTLOOK article: No Jehad in the Indian Faithful

Lehar .. lehar_hind at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 12 17:37:32 IST 2003

dear friends

this message did not get through the first time..(
apologies if its the
second time)

Subject:  Outlook Article: No Jehad in the Indian
Faithful
Qoute:

..Indeed, KPS Gill believes that Indian Muslims could
well lead the way
in
showing how a composite culture can be used to counter
"hate ideology"
in
the years to come.. Despite having the second largest
Muslim population
in
the world, the very diversity of India prevents the
spread of such
ideology," says K.P.S.Gill, former Punjab DGP and an
acknowledged
anti-terrorism expert.
more on:

this is very important in today's times..the myths
need to be exposed
maintain India's democracy. From Outlook's New year
issue( available
online
)

in the words of terrorism experts,  KPS Gill and
others.

Best

-
I have learned so much from God
That I can no longer call myself a Christian, a Hindu,
a Muslim, a
Buddhist,
a Jew.
The Truth has shared so much of Itself with me
That I can no longer call myself a man, a woman, an
angel..
Love has befriended me.
It has turned to ash and freed me
Of every concept and image my mind has ever known.
- Hafiz, Persian Sufi
Organised religion is the prop of a man who has not
found his Self/ God
within.
- Shaheed Bhagat Singh
Date: Wed, 1 Jan
2003
>21:08:23 -0800 (PST)
>

>Why don't such news items ever become the headlines?
>
>------------
>
>No Virus In The Faithful Belying the Sangh's claims,
experts say
Indian
>Muslims hold no jehadi sentiments
>
>RANJIT BHUSHAN (Outlook magazine) New Yr issue, Jan
2003

>The Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) and the rest of its
parivar may still
be on
>a relentless hate campaign against the 'minorities',
but it's now
being
>proffered that there are no jehadis in India. That
is, if you leave
>aberrant elements in Kashmir. At the end of a year
when US
investigators
>and their allies have left no stone unturned in their
hunt for Al
Qaeda
>terrorists, experts have reached an interesting
conclusion: while the
>Islamic terror network has been found to exist in
Africa, Europe and
Asia,
>Indian Muslims have not been attracted by the jehad
ideology. This,
despite
>the country having the world's second largest Muslim
population
(140-150
>million).
>
>Various other nationalities involved with Jehadi
International Inc
have
>been identified, but Indians don't figure on the
list. "Jehad here is
>exported from Pakistan. There are no internal jehadis
around. Despite
>having the second largest Muslim population in the
world, the very
>diversity of India prevents the spread of such
ideology," says
K.P.S.Gill,
>former Punjab DGP and an acknowledged anti-terrorism
expert. Indeed,
Gill
>believes that Indian Muslims could well lead the way
in showing how a
>composite culture can be used to counter "hate
ideology" in the years
>come. According to Gill, subversive activities
tending to the jehadi
kind,
>if any, remain localised and can be contained.
>
>Points out Ajai Sahni of the New Delhi-based
Institute of Conflict
>Management: "The (absence of) jehadi culture here is
best illustrated
>vis-a-vis Kashmir. In the over 10 years of terrorism
in the state,
there
>hasn't been a single non-Kashmiri (Muslim) from any
other part of
India
>involved in the so-called jehad or militancy."
>
>India's list of 'Islamic' terrorists begins and ends
with the Dawood
>Ibrahims and Aftab Ansaris of the world—basically
criminal mafia
>unconnected to any ideology of any kind, but quite
acive in urban
areas.
>The closest to jehadis here have been organisations
like the Students
>Islamic Movement of India (SIMI) linked to
Saudi-based bodies, the
World
>Assembly of Muslim Youth and the now-banned Rabita.
Outfits with
similar
>inclinations can be found in the South too. Despite a
lot of sound and
>fury, particularly with the arrest of its activists
in UP, SIMI
remains on
>the margins, unable to attract the kind of talent
needed to achieve
their
>objectives. "Organisations like SIMI are
aberrations," points out
Sahni.

>Security analyst Kulbir Krishan explains: "Unlike
other parts of the
world,
>the average Muslim here knows the power of his vote,
and despite the
>alienation in some pockets, there is no
state-sponsored
discrimination.
>That's a very big difference." According to him, due
to lower levels
of
>education, an overwhelming majority of Muslims do not
opt for jobs
with the
>government or private companies, mainly sticking to
the unorganised
sector.
>Also, their customers are largely Hindu. Hundreds of
thousands of
Muslims
>interact and do business with the Hindus on a daily
basis, so despite
the
>general impression of a gulf, there is an open line
of communication
at
>most times.
>
>Not that there hasn't been any provocation for the
Muslim community.
>Experts say that a delicate moment in India's history
came in the
aftermath
>of the demolition of the Babri Masjid in 1992. There
was then a sense
of
>insecurity amongst the minority community with groups
of youngsters
mainly
>from western UP contemplating taking to violence. But
soon the UP
elections
>came in which the bjp was routed and emotions cooled
down. The Gujarat
>story is part of this kind of provocation. But the
remarkable fact is
that
>despite the violence in Gujarat, the rest of the
country remained
calm.

>Even though the CIA releases periodic lists of
possible Al Qaeda-style
>jehadis, an Indian is yet to be named, even though
they can be found
in the
>neighbourhood, ie Pakistan and Bangladesh.
>
>In the light of all this, the VHP's attempts to raise
the spectre of
>Indian-born jehadis just does not wash. "The VHP is
basically
attempting to
>garner votes and divide society for their cause. It
has very little to
do
>with jehadis of any kind," says a Union home ministry
official, who
deals
>with militancy.
>
>In the days to come, with crucial assembly elections
ahead in nine
states
>(till 2004), the jehadi factor will undoubtedly get
closer attention,
both
>from the Sangh fraternity and the anti-Sangh
activists still smarting
from
>the bjp victory in Gujarat. Now, what the average
Indian must realise
is
>that there is little truth in the verbal pyrotechnics
that the Sangh

-