[Reader-list] My experiences in the hospital

manju singh bhati manjupannu at rediffmail.com
Sun Jan 26 13:29:04 IST 2003

POSTING 2

In the beginning, I wasted some days struggling to get access to
hospitals and finding relevant wards. After getting past that hurdle,
I found most of the women are not willing to talk. Even after a lot
of cajoling they did not reveal even the most obvious  details. I
have  decided to neither write nor record in front of them as these
things make them more hesitant. It takes time to make friends with
them and by the time they become friendly with me, they are
discharged and do not show up the next day. I had to run after them
to their homes, which is of no use. So I have changed the strategy
again that I had changed a few times before also.

Now I choose only few exclusive cases to follow for case study.
Although I go to wards and sit and observe quietly, without missing
the chance to chat and let them get  discharged without following
them to their homes as Shuddha suggested to me in the discussion
which took place last week.

Luckily, I have got two cases for further scrutiny. One is a 61 years
old lady who got pregnant after 15 years of her menopause. She had
come from a village to see her pregnant daughter. This woman had a
complaint of swollen stomach. After investigations, the fact of her
being pregnant shocked her and startled everyone. I had met her only
once. This lady is so ashamed of her pregnancy that she does no want
to spill the beans and hates to talk about it. But at the same time
the case is so exclusive and interesting that I have decided to
follow it even if it takes months to get to know everything.

Second case is of a young lady who has post graduated in philosophy
and has an inclination towards poetry. She is now in Meerut for
couple of days.

Right now my arena of research is Narender Mohan Hospital and
Sanjivani Nursing Home.

Narender Mohan Hospital is one of the biggest private hospitals of
Ghaziabad district, enjoying reputation like a government hospital.
Notorious for bribes taken by every other worker, this hospital is a
relief for serious cases. Here patients come from remote villages,
and suburbs of western U.P.

Sanjivani Nurshng Home is in Sahibabad and attracts urban pregnant
women. Here conventional delivery is still the method which includes
enhancement of labour by drugs and small cut called episiotomy at
vaginal outlet at the time of birth to facilitate delivery. But here
women feel free to ask the doctor for few more stiches, which makes
the vagina tight and can help them to lead happy sexual life after
pregnancy.