[Reader-list] Response to Article on Privatization

Yazad Jal yazadjal at vsnl.net
Mon Jan 27 17:54:58 IST 2003

Dear Ravi

Your email is full of "buzz words" but I can't discern what you want to say.
A few quick comments.

> It is not at all detrimental to dispatch materials for better of
> dissemination of knowledge and information but on must also think of the
> consequences that it produces.

Sure. And what are these consequences?

> one needs to analyze is that what
> are the larger bearings of such projects and why do they emerge?

> The other option is to critically evaluate the causes andconsequences
> of such works and then reflect upon it.

tell us your analysis, do the critical evaluation, let us know your
reflections....

> When we talk of education we get concerned with a variety of objects - the
> aim of education (literacy of eudcation), information versus knowledge
> debate, pedagogical concerns, child -community interface etc.  This is not
> happening here.

The article talks about _one_ aspect of primary education. Do you actually
expect every article to talk about all issues on a particular topic?

> And I fear that it adds another piece to the current trend
> of mustering support for privatization and withdrawal of State (to the
whims
> and fancies of Capital).

It does state that private education may be better than state provided
education. If you disagree, critique it. Let us know why. And what are the
whims and fancies of capital? I thought making profit was the only objective
;-)

> Effeciency and accountability is one thing and corporatization of work
place
> and services is another, which has much wider and immediate ramifications
> for the masses and we the internet using at least middle segment
experience
> quite late and perhaps such thoughts emerge out of that background as
well.

what are the ramifications?

Sorry, but your response is full of fancy terms. Reminds me of Shakespeare
who talked about "Sound and fury, signifying ...."

I welcome criticism, but substance please, and leave the style for the Eng
Lit class.

-yazad