[Reader-list] paper on kashmiri pandits

AJAY RAINA ajayraina at vsnl.com
Sat Jul 26 18:44:21 IST 2003

Dear Meenu,
I find many galling innacuracies and inconsistencies in your 'research paper' but since you say its based on your interactions with some of the inmates I would take them at face value as perhaps 'problems of language and translation'. But i am alarmed at the confidence with which you have set out to dismantle and discredit the 'narratives' of Pandit refugees in India - as contradictory - through your subtly biased analysis.

Just look at this,
"Many recounted stories of how Pandit women were being forced to marry Muslim militants though these incidents and stories often took place in an elsewhere which nobody seemed to have been much familiar with. all of them had heard of such a thing happening from someone else." (In one sentence you state what you have been told and in the next sentence you put a question mark on its telling.)
(for your benefit i have studiously underlined all that i find inaccurate / biased / and outright propagandist in your study paper.)

More than anything I wonder if you or anybody could ever feel the courage to 'research' the narratives of 'atrocities' on Kashmiri women in Kashmir..and then also have the courage to analyse or to question the veracity of their versions...

Have you actually ever come across anybody in Kashmir... met anybody in Person or even ever been shown a grave of someone in Kashmir who could show you the scars of torture at the hands of security forces or even at the hands of terrorists.  This is not to say these atrocities did not take place...but because you would not have a tangible proof of these events, would you discount the events in the same vain as you have in the case of Pandit refugees.

And why pick up on Kashmiri Pandits when you do not have the guts to ask Muslims of Kashmir about 'atrocities' on them and about their narratives of the rebellion of the winter 1990. I am asking this because of your own self confessed lack of courage (In your film on Kashmir) when you set out for  / but did not go to the 'Kunan poshpura' village where the alleged mass rape is said to have happened...Why was that?

And yet when 'safe' in the plains of India you happily saunter off into camps of Pandit refugees to probe the hapless people & analyse the narratives of real or imagined atrocities on them.
I have also read your earlier paper about your 'research' in Pandit refugee camps. There is nothing in your study which indicates that the inferences drawn do not confirm with what the 'azadi propagandists in kashmir have had to say about Pandit refugees. ...I have begun to wonder What you are?...a naive grant seeking researcher or a propagandist sympathiser for the 'azadi' brigade in Kashmir. At the risk of sounding insensitive and gravely offensive to you, I would still hope you'll someday soon tell us about what you saw at Kunan Poshpura and how you'd have analysed the narratives of 26 'allegedly' gangraped women.

Ajay Raina