[Reader-list] Turkey Travelogue - Part III

Sarang Shidore sarang_shidore at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 30 18:09:03 IST 2003

Merhaba friends,   I am writing this at the wee hours of dawn from my
home in Austin. Yes, I finally got back last night. But although I am
in Austin physically, my soul still lingers on in that majestic city
on the Bosphorus Strait. As I have said before, New York and Berlin
awed me, London excited me, Tokyo, Amsterdam and Budapest charmed me,
Singapore and Taipei impressed me, Rome and Florence enchanted
me...but Bombay, Istanbul and Mexico City are the only cities that
have inspired me. Perhaps because I remain (and will always remain)
in my heart a citizen of the so-called "third world", the 4/5ths of
the planet often derisively dismissed in the corridors of power for
its supposed backwardness. But if we wish to see life in all its
colliding contradictions we Moderns must step outside the cool
comforts of our homes in Cupertino, CA and Austin, TX, even if it
is a moment in the otherwise blissful existence of our gated soap
operas.   We, having accepted Modernity as our new ideology, are now
determined to wage a new crusade to convert the heathen. The advent
of some sort of Modernity is inevitable in our time. But by
transforming what is essentially a complex historical wave (with its
own diverse timescales and forms) into a single overarching dogma of
Progress we are sowing the seeds of immense pain. We Moderns believe
it is our obligation, indeed a duty to rapidly bring the vast yonder
into our fold. It is our new Manifest Destiny, our call to arms.
We believe we hold in our hands the keys to universal happiness. We
believe that we have little to learn from those who came before us,
or those who live in alternative realities in our age.   How blindly
and how blithely do we accept the need - no the desirability - to use
and re-use the most destructive weapons humankind has ever known as
tools to achieve our grandiose dreams? Our various gigantic
ideologies - Marxism, Positivism, Fascism, Capitalism, Nationalism,
Conservatism, Neo-Liberalism and all the other (mainly Western) isms
that follow in their wake - have reduced the human community to a set
of social security numbers. We have taken the individuality out of
the individual, the beauty out of the beautiful. Our mass produced,
brand-name culture of glittering commodities in gigantic superstores
and antiseptic feel-good messages overwhelms us and sedates us every
single day.   We Moderns may have tranformed Convenience into a fine
art form, but the reality is that we are increasingly marooned in a
automated web of action and reaction. We have lost the art of
contemplation, which the ancients recognized and practised. We live
in a dream-like stupor chasing our insignificant dreams of More and
Bigger in our narcissistic self-centered existence. We have many
lessons to learn before we are truly Awake.   OK, back to Istanbul. I
have written to some degree of the Turkish language in my earlier
letter. Let me expand on this. Turkish belongs to a language family
known as the Altaic family which includes Kazakh, Uzbek, Mongolian,
Azerbaijani, and Tatar mainly. Some linguists have proposed that the
Altaic family and the Finno-Ugric family (Hungarian, Estonian,
Finnish) for  a part of a bigger supra-family known as the
Ural-Altaic family. This is yet to be conclusively proven but there
are apparently many similarities between these two families. Having
been to Hungary and being somewhat of a language buff myself, it was
very striking to me how similar they sound. The sorts of "feel" one
gets from hearing Hungarian and Turkish is similar and vastly
different from say Arabic or Russian. There are no guttural sounds
(like in Arabic) and Turkish is spoken mostly from the front of the
mouth. It sounds sweet to me (of course this is a matter of personal
and subjective taste) unlike the harsh sounds of Arabic or Hebrew.
Turks, like the Magyars who conquered Hungary in the 10th century,
are an Asian (actually Siberian) people. Of course modern Turkey is a
global tossed salad of the many ethnic groups that have criss-crossed
Anatolia through the centuries. But many Turks do display a tendency
towards higher cheekbones and slightly slanted eyes that is very
pronounced in East Asia. (Of course there are many other Turks who
look much more "Teutonic".) Dark hair is generally predominant,
although various shades of brown are also common. Blonde is much less
common, and some of the blonde women I saw probably used hair
highlighters.   If you are in Turkey the first word you should learn
is "Teshekkurler" which means Thank You. (Here and later I shall
be rendering Turkish words into their phonetic equivalents  in
English, i.e. as they are pronounced; which may or may not be the
same as they are written). Some other words I picked up - "Merhaba"
is hello. "Kahve" is coffee, "Kanun" is law, "Jawap" is answer,
"Injir" is fig, "Tamam" is OK, "Tuvalet" is restroom, "Su" is water,
and "Turkiye Jumhuriyet" is Turkish Republic, "Jaddesi" is street,
"Sokak" is lane, "Taksi" is - well that's obvious!   My trip to
Ankara was quite interesting. Ankara was a dusty city of 30,000 when
Ataturk declared it to be Turkey's new capital. It was a conscious
effort of moving the centre of power to Anatolia, as Ataturk's
ideology of Turkish nationalism was centered in that region. In fact,
for the first seven years of his presidency Ataturk never even set
foot in Istanbul to ensure that the new capital gained the
credibility he wanted it to.   To get to Ankara, take a taxi to
Karakoy north of the Golden Horn right across the Galata bridge. From
Karakoy ferries run every half an hour across to the Asian side. Take
the ferry for Haydarpasha.   The Ankara Ekspresi departs Haydarpasha
station at 10:30 p.m. to arrive in Ankara at 8:00 a.m. the next
morning. I had booked a "Yakatla Vagon" or sleeping car with berths.
The ferry ride was beautiful - late at night Istanbul is cool and
wonderful in June with a genlt breeze blowing across the Bosphorus.
The ferry was moderately full with a mix of working class and
professionals from the city center heading to their homes on the
Asian side. The ticket was 1.1 million liras which works out to about
80 cents (US) or Rs. 38.   Smoking is very common in Turkey and this
is one of the few things that bothered me here, of course used to the
smoking-free environment in the United States. That is one
disadvantage of taking the deck seat on the ferry because many people
around you including many women, light up almost immediately. However
it was a small price to pay for the fantastic ambience. Chai sellers
were making the rounds as the ferry pulled out. The ride across takes
about 20 minutes. The Haydarpasha railiway station is right behind
the ferry dock literally 50 meters away. Both are beautiful, very
distinctive buildings, quite old. The station is spacious clean and
well equipped with amenities. Because most people in Turkey take
buses rather than trains, the traffic on the rail system is always
light. In general, I am told trains are much slower than buses in
Turkey, the exception being the Istanbul-Ankara line. Being a major
train fanatic, I couldn't care less anyway - nothing beats the
rythmic excitement of rail travel!   Looking at the departure display
at Haydarpasha sent a thrill down my spine - here there were trains
listed for destinations such as Tehran, Iran and Aleppo, Syria. I was
sorely tempted to jump into the train headed for Tehran, but....oh
well, perhaps next year!   In Turkey you present your ticket to the
train conductor who is standing at the bogie entrance. He keeps the
ticket during the journey and returns it just before the journey is
over. At leats this was the way it worked on the Ankara Ekspresi. The
sleeping berth was excellent - very comfortable with a washbasin of
its own and more than adequate storage space. There was also a
restaurant car open all night with food and drink, but I was tired
and slept through most of the journey.   All the guidebooks will tell
you that Ankara is not worth visiting if you have limited time in
Turkey. This is largely true - it is mainly a city of government
offices and universities - but there are two major attractions there.
One is the Anat Kabir or Ataturk's mausoleum. The other is the
excellent Museum of Anatolian Civilizations which is the best museum
in Turkey about the ancient history of Turkey right from the
Neolithic era to the pre-Byzantine period.   My friend Derek met me
at Ankara station and we headed to Anat Kabir. It is an imposing
structure very much intended to strike an amotion of awe and
reverence. It is interesting how the architecture is very European -
indicating Ataturk's strong belief that the West was the center of
current civilization, and Turkey had to Westernize in order to
modernize, or as he put it "to raise Turkey above the level of
contemprary civilization".   There is definite military air to the
mausoleum as well. After all, Ataturk was a distinguished military
general who seized power as the Ottoman empire was falling apart
right after WW-I and the Allied powers had invaded Turkey. The plan
by the redoubtable European powers and Woodrow Wilson, president of
you-know-who, was to carve up Turkey into several statelets
("mandates"), each under the control of an allied power. Thus all the
prize territories - Istanbul, the Aegean coast, the Mediterranean
coast, etc. were to go to the Allies leaving only a small arid core
in Anatolia for the Turks. It was Kemal Ataturk that foiled these
plans by defeating the allies (mainly the Greek army but also
the French and the British) in the three year war of liberation.
Finally, in 1922, Turkish forces recaptured Izmir and the war of
liberation was over. One by one, the allies agreed to pull their
troops out of Turkey, and the modern Turkish state was born.   Much
as I am impressed with Ataturk's achievements, the fact remains that
he was an authoritarian ruler who ruled by decree throughout his
presidency. That by itself is not the end of the world (after all Lee
Kuan Yew the dictator of Singapore made it what it is today), but
there is no question that the reverence for Ataturk approaches that
of a personality cult. His photos are everywhere, a bit like Mao's
China, and criticizing Ataturk is a national offense in Turkey. So
whatever you, do do not make negative comments about him in public
anywhere in Turkey - foreigners are known to have been carted to jail
because of this.   Kemalism, as Ataturk's ideology is known, is very
much a dogma of the urban elite and middle class in Turkey. In fact,
politically Turkey is a polarized nation - paranoid Kemalism rules
the roost among the military (which controls Turkish foreign an
defense policies), business elite and much of the professional
classes. However the interior and the working class have over the
past years increasingly embraced the idea of a vaguely Islamic
counter-movement to Kemalism. This first became a major issue in 1995
when the Refah Partisi (Welfare Party) under the Islamist leader
Necmettin Erbakan formed Turkey's first Islamist government since the
Ottoman period. Refah was very much a moderate party (roughly like
Vajpayee camp of the BJP) that was peaceful and opposed any sort of a
violent revolution to achieve its goals. However, it was an Islamist
party and wanted Turkey to assert its Islamic, rather than Turkic,
identity. It spoke of a "look East" foreign policy, wanted Turkey to
leave NATO, withdraw its plication to join the EU,  and cut off its
(close) ties to Israel. This of course the military could not
tolerate. in 1997, the generals engineered an ouster of
the government (essentially a soft coup, with the tacit support of
the United States and NATO) and Refah was outlawed. Its top leaders
were barred from politics for several years. Turkey's Islamist
experiment seemed to be over.   Not quite. Refah soon re-emerged as
the Fazilet Partisi (Virtue Party). Fazilet later split into a more
hardline faction under Erbakan's successor and the so-called
"Islamist Lite" Party of Justice and Development (AK Partisi) under
the charismatic Recep Teyyep Erdogan, the hugely popular former mayor
of Istanbul. The AKP jettisoned the opposition to NATO and EU which
was a strong Islamist demand, and spoke of a Westward looking Turkey
with an islamic culture. In the 2002 elections for parliment, the AKP
won a huge landslide victory. Of the 10+ political parties in the
fractious Turkish parliament, all but two were entirely wiped out.
500 of the existing 550 lawmakers lost their seats. It was a
political earthquake.   Today the AKP runs Turkey and all seems calm
on the surface. But the deep fissure in Turkish politics remains and
worries many analysts. Samuel Huntington writes of "Turkey doing a
South Africa" i.e shedding its "cleft state" dilemma, rejecting large
elements of Kemalism in favor of a new, more Eastward-looking
paradigm. Has The rejection by the Turkish parliament of the American
demand of military staging areas during the recent Iraq crisis  - an
astounding and unprecedented act of defiance in US-Turkish relations
- signalled a gradual shift away from the pro-NATO policy that the
Turkish elite has embraced since WW-II? Perhaps Turkey will assert
itself and strike a more balanced posture as a true bridge between
the Middle East and the West. It will take a leader of Ataturk's
vision to achive such a mounumental task, and no such figure is in
sight today.   The most interesting part of Anat Kabir is the museum,
which is essentially the official version of 20th century Turkish
history. Some might term it state propaganda. Nevertheless it is very
educational as it gives an insight into the ideology of Kemalism like
nothing else in all of Turkey. There is a definite emphasis on the
military side of Turkish history in the museum. In fact, in general,
it will not be an exaggration to term Turkey as basically a military
state with large areas of civilian autonomy. No wonder Pervez
Musharraf looks up to Kemal Ataturk!   A striking part of the museum
is the large oil painting depicting Greek atrocities against the
Turks in the war of liberation. Greek soldiers are shown murdering
women and children and Orthodox priests are shown in the background
egging them on. Quite interesting.   Ataturk's view of women's role
in society is worth mentioning. In one of his long quotes he talks
about how women among the pre-Islamic nomadic Turks were equal to
men, and how Islam subjugated them. This had to be reversed,
according to him. (Talking of women's roles among the steppe warrior
groups, the great Arabic traveller Ibn Battuta chronicles how shocked
he was when he visited the Mongol territories by the way women and
men interacted with each other. Ibn Battuta was a citizen of the
settled Arab civilization that largely practised gender segregation.
Ataturk's view seems to be consistent with this - after all the
Mongols were close cousins of the Turks.In today's times, another
warrior nation where gender equality reigns comes to mind - I am
talking of the United States, of course!) Ataturk gave full political
and economic rights to women  in 1934 (10 years before France did)
and there is a section in the museum highlighting the achievements of
Turkish women during the early years.   My own view of Kemalism is
that it is a remarkable ideology, and essentially the response of a
pre-moderm society (I have defined modernity here in a narrow sense -
the attempt to put science and technology and individual material
progress at the center of a society's endeavors.) to modern
ideologies that were born out of the European Enlightenment. Thus it
accepts the Enlightenment as the last word in civilization, but at
the same time attempts to strengthen the Turkish identity by taking
recourse to nationalism. A curious admixture of nationalism,
Euro-centrism, and positivism is the result. No matter what one may
think of Kemalism, it deserves to be studied by world historians and
should form a part of the syllabus of every "developing" country
curriculum.   I have been writing for more than two hours and it is
time for me to awake to the realities and get ready to go to work!
Thus I leave you for now, but I hope to write the concluding portion
of my travelogue soon. Till then stay well!   Sarang

Do you Yahoo!?
<http://pa.yahoo.com/*http://rd.yahoo.com/evt=1207/*http://promo.yahoo.com/sbc/>SBC
Yahoo! DSL - Now only $29.95 per month!